Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you connect?  (Read 2342 times)

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
How do you connect?
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:49:59 AM »

Those using their Zendrums with laptops/notebook computers, how are you connecting to your amp?PA?
Do you use the headphone out  - and if so, how to you convert the stereo minijack to mono amp inputs?
Do you use an external interface - and if so, which one.
I'd be interested to hear...

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Re: How do you connect?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »

My MIDIjet is connected to my Behringer FCB1010, which is passing through the MIDI to an E-MU 0404 USB audio interface, which is connected to my laptop and Battery 3/Kontakt 4. The E-MU is plugged in to a Behringer Eurorack MX802 mixer, and from there into my monitors. When I start performing live it'll be a fairly similar setup. It wouldn't be wise to use the built-in laptop audio... it's just not great quality and there can potentially be noise issues, particularly if the cable gets bumped, yanked, or rotated. Better idea to use more robust connections and a more functional audio interface.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »

I am running out of my MacBook Pro headphone jack with a 1/8" stereo adapter to two 1/4" male connectors (one is left and one is right) into either an amp or directly to the mixing board of the PA.  You can get this cord at your local Guitar Center, Best Buy, and even Radio Shack.  I am using an M-Audio UNO MIDI to USB to connect my Zendrum to the MacBook Pro.  That is really the basic setup.  Hope this helps.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Tom Roady

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »

3 or 4 years ago I was at Brad Bowden's home, the Toontrack rep that lives here in Nashville..Futureman and Kim Daniel were there also.. we did a little experiment. We ran our audio out by three different methods...Firewire interface, USB interface, and headphone out with the 1/8 mini stereo cable....although no real measuring device was used, Roy was our tester so to speak...with his touch and years of experience we found that he noticed a difference coming out of the headphone ouput....without going through any external interface the zendrum played all sounds slightly faster...I'm sure it is just a couple of miliseconds but none the less...He felt it...so these days that is what I try to do...go directly out of the headphone out and split it left and right into my amp..hope that helps some... the mayor

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye use a Presonus USB audio interface. The audio interface has a pair of audio out jacks. When aboard me pyrate ship aye send those audio outs to an Alesis 12R rack mount mixer. If Aye were to play lyve, Aye would take the audio interface outputs and plug them directly into the jacks on the back of me amplifier (a Roland KC-150).

Aye hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »

1/4" mono, stereo, or separate drum sub outs 1-8.
Wireless MIDI, internal Merge Brick, pci soundcard interface, 3.0 dual core, 4 gig ram, one 12 gauge cable from 2-space ATA rack powers everything. How?
Zendrumdrive
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:53:11 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »

I use a MOTU UltraLite MKIII audio interface.  FAST, and excellent high-quality outputs- balanced and hot!  great headphone amp in it too, if needed.  pricy, but I'm all about balanced signals, especially with all the interference associated with a laptop.

Jer

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »

I just connected my laptop using a PreSonus Audiobox USB, which seems to be a really good entry-level unit. I had a few issues the first time out, with a Windoes Blue Screen of Death - I suspect a driver conflict, but a reboot overcame that. I was also using the Audiobox as a mic pre-amp, but got an off click noise that just wouldn't go away, so I have to play around and sort that out.
At first glance, the Audiobox drivers seem to be better than the ASIO drivers, with less latency. They work well with BFDeco, AD and NI, but I still have some tweaking to do to get EZdrummer to trigger without adequately. At the moment, the latency is way out there.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »

Digital Drummer,

Get with Dr. Shark, he was having the same issue when I was at his place back in August.  He was having latency issues using the toontrack stuff with his PC laptop.  I am using a MacBook and never had that issue.  He did something that eliminated the latency and it works great now.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: [1]   Go Up