Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batteries!!!!!  (Read 1024 times)

bambamvdrummer

Batteries!!!!!
« on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »

Something interesting happened to me while playing at a 4th of July party this year. As I was setting up, I noticed that I had left my rechargeable (Liquid Polymer) batteries back at the studio and was forced to use Energizer MAX batteries I still had in the van. I have plenty, but since I started using these new rechargeable batteries, I never went back to regular batteries. 1 Liquid Polymer Rechargeable 9 volt rechargeable battery lasted for 2 nights in a row before losing all its charge.

As I was using the Energizer batteries, I went through 5 in 2 hours, and they were brand new.   I couldn't believe how fast they would drain. I ended up having to plug directly in   AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
If you use wireless, you know what this feels like........DAMN THAT LEASH!!!

The Liquid Polymer Rechargeable are the best on the market.

Bambam

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Batteries!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »

Were they left in the van?  Have they experienced temperature cycling (e.g. hot in the day; cold at night).

Sorry, i used to work for a company that did battery R&D, can't help trying to debug issue, lol.

I keep spare alkalines for small emergencies, but for real security I also have a Merge Brick mounted alongside my wireless transmitter.  If "stuff" hits the fan I can just switch to being wired.

The option to go wired is also good to have when there is too much interference happening at the gig (it does happen).

Still, these are small issues to have.. sure beats carrying around extra snare drums, pedals, heads and such, don't it ? :)   
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:59 AM »

When I had an external wireless, I went through a lot of batteries, both in the wireless unit and in the battery supply box.  But now with the internal wireless and only one battery to contend with, a can go several gigs without having to change a battery.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:51:11 PM »

I have the rechargable batteries but I still change them out for freshly charged batteries even if I only used it for sound check, I guess I am just paranoid but, I have not had an issue yet, even when I tried to let one run out, it was almost 3 days of playing for about 4-5 hours before it finally gave out on me.  I just won't tempt fate during a gig, I always change it out.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »

Yep, I am paranoid too, and use a fresh Li-ion rechargable battery at every gig. I keep a spare fully charged right at hand. To date I have never had to change a battery during a gig. I have changed a few during practice, but I tend to let the battery sit in the Zendrum until it runs dry if I'm not playing a gig. What a difference running wireless, and with the right batteries. Wireless and regular batteries was not a great combo; even regular rechargable had a limited life. Now, even though I come prepared, I haven't had an issue.

But, let's talk about cables, lol! I was setting up for my last gig and even though all my lights were showing that the wireless module was working properly and the Zendrum was triggering, I had no sound. Speakers on? check. Turned up? check. i went through a preflight checklist, and nothing came up empty. So, I decided I better go tethered. I got out my merge box, and plugged a MIDI cable in to the back of my module, and suddenly had the idea to try that cable with the wireless. Sure enough, it worked! I had a bad MIDI cable! First time that's happened. Tested it with an ammeter tonight, and as I was testing ( I took the ends out), I saw my problem... a broken wire at a solder point where it attaches to one of the pins. I have to solder it. Should be an easy fix, but everything is so small! I need a magnifier, and reading glasses, lol! And, I just ordered a couple of spare 5 footers, they are really cheap. Not sure it's worth fixing the old one, other than to say I did fix it! Ah well, can't hurt to have a few backup cables I suppose. :-)

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »

It's always a good idea to use a fresh battery before every performance.
I sort of wonder if something's wrong with your power usage though. I've got internal wireless; I use the cheaper Rayovac 9v batteries and I get at least a few hours out of every one of them. They actually last longer than I'd expected.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »

I always put a newly recharged lithium battery in just before I play and have the back up close by. I was playing a gig last week and lost my sound. tried rebooting the Zen, nothing so I quickly changed the battery, nothing. A little panic started to come over me, went back to the TD-20 looking at the connections finally traced it to the wireless A/C adapter that I had kicked accidently and it became unplugged. Another case of Operator error! I swear by these recharable lithium ion batteries. They last! iPowerUS 9v 525mAh. Thumper
www.ipowerus.com
Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »

As I was using the Energizer batteries, I went through 5 in 2 hours, and they were brand new.   I couldn't believe how fast they would drain.

Bambam

That's crazy!  Those batteries must have been bad or old or something.  I haven't yet sprung for rechargeables, and have been using Duracells forever.  I easily get through a 3-4 hour gig and then save 'em for rehearsal batteries later.  On occasion I forget to bring a fresh one, and have to run a SECOND 3-4 hour gig on a half-dead battery.  i usually have a few older ones on hand, and sometimes this bites me in the @$$, but bottom line is, I'm getting 5-6 hours on average out of each Duracell I'd guess.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up