Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling all Alesis DM-10 users  (Read 3361 times)

weeksville

Calling all Alesis DM-10 users
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »

I have a question about how the Zendrum tells the DM-10 what sound to play. Are the triggers assigned a note number like on the Roland TD6?  I have read the DM-10 manual and it isn't real clear on how an external midi device tells it what to play.  It looks like people really like this little module.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Calling all Alesis DM-10 users
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

Here is a link to the mapping for the DM10 that is provided with ZenEdit.  This will give you the MIDI note numbers for the various trigger inputs plus ancillary percussion.

http://nebiru.com/zenedit/assets/modules/Alesis%20DM10.txt

HTH
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

weeksville

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »

Can you assign any sound to any note number on the DM-10?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »

You can edit the sounds for any of the normal triggers (toms, kick, etc).  Some of those percussion instruments are fixed and cannot be changed.  This is common among many modules, including the Roland TD-6.

I don't own a DM10 but I do have the owners manual.  It goes into detail about how to edit the trigger kit pieces.  If you don't have the manual you can download it here:  http://www.alesis.com/dm10prokit

Please note that unlike other hardware modules, the DM10 allows you to change the MIDI note number for any trigger (except for ride and hh).  I'd recommend against doing this and just change the MIDI note numbers on your Zendrum.  If you *have* changed the note numbers for any triggers within the DM10, then that chart I gave you will not work.

HTH
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

weeksville

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »

The note number map the Zenedit gives for the DM-10 looks like the typical note number layout for a drum kit across a keyboard.
The TD6 has 17 triggers each associated with a note number that you can assign the 1024 tweakable drum sounds to.  The other note numbers are available but only for the sounds in the drum kit that is selected for the back up accompaniment.
My question for the DM-10 is this (drum roll) are the 66 note numbers listed in the Zenedit program each available to assign a tweakable drum sound to? ie could you theoretically have 66 drum triggers?

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »

With the Z4, you can have up to 30 triggers, and if you use the crossfade function on the Zendrum or in Zenedit, you can have 4 notes per trigger for 120 different sounds.  At least that is how I would see it.  Realisticaly, I have several triggers with the same sounds so I can trigger them with either hand.  There are some sounds that I have on one, like chimes because it is in a place where I can get to it with both hands if I need to.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »

The note number map the Zenedit gives for the DM-10 looks like the typical note number layout for a drum kit across a keyboard.
The TD6 has 17 triggers each associated with a note number that you can assign the 1024 tweakable drum sounds to.  The other note numbers are available but only for the sounds in the drum kit that is selected for the back up accompaniment.
My question for the DM-10 is this (drum roll) are the 66 note numbers listed in the Zenedit program each available to assign a tweakable drum sound to? ie could you theoretically have 66 drum triggers?

The items in the map that refer to trigger names (Tom 1, Crash 1, Ride Edge, etc.) are editable and assignable just like the physical inputs to the DM10.  The other entries which name specific instruments (Maracas, Vibraslap, etc.) are fixed percussion items and cannot (to the best of my understanding) be edited.  These are equivalent to the percussion groups of the Roland modules.

Ask me about:

weeksville

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »

Thanks DrumWagon.  That sounds similar to the trigger limitations of the TD6...
Anybody with a DM-10 chime in

Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »

I don't use a Zendrum but I do use an Alesis DM10. This is a link to another forum (DMdrummer.com) so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it. I believe this should shed some light on the matter:

DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

In short, there are 35 additional sound locations accessible through midi. Each one of the 35 sound location are totally editable. Meaning FX, EQ, Decay, Sounds (for both Layer A B). There are no restrictions on which of the internal sounds can be used. Any of the 1000 plus sounds can be assigned to those locations. I hope that helps.

markP

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »

I don't use a Zendrum but I do use an Alesis DM10. This is a link to another forum (DMdrummer.com) so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it. I believe this should shed some light on the matter:

DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

In short, there are 35 additional sound locations accessible through midi. Each one of the 35 sound location are totally editable. Meaning FX, EQ, Decay, Sounds (for both Layer A B). There are no restrictions on which of the internal sounds can be used. Any of the 1000 plus sounds can be assigned to those locations. I hope that helps.

the eq and fx are
 globle
Pages: [1]   Go Up