Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line 6 Midi Mobilizer  (Read 2555 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Line 6 Midi Mobilizer
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

This be a handy looking device.  Aye recoomend ye check it out.  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MidiMobil?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=MidiMobil-iPhoneiTouch_MIDI_Interface&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=MidiMobil&SID=0  Perhaps the good inspector 109 and his gallant crew can integrate it into the Zendrumdrive.

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Line 6 Midi Mobilizer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »

That's pretty cool Pyrate!
Looks like it could just go inline between the Zendrum and Zendrumdrive if what it's recording/sending is MIDI data.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »

To make it REALLY cool, we need the ZendrumDrive App so you can trigger sounds in the iPod.

In all truth, that can't be more than a decade off once the tech catches up.
Play nice.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »

Futureman recently brought this to my attention.
Dynamics are the hang up.
Any app writers listening out there?
We've already got the core samples...more to come.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »

In this context I'd imagine that "more dynamics" == "more samples".  You can tease a bit more out by analyzing trigger patterns, but ultimately for dynamic realism you're talking about storing (and streaming) tens of gigabytes of samples.  Poor little iPhone would break down in tears -- heck, even a low end PC has trouble doing this faithfully (as we've probably all encountered by now).

That said, there probably is a middle road that can be followed.  Perhaps something along the lines of Roland's COSM technology where you start out with a smaller set of samples and then rely on digital modeling to alter the characteristics and dynamics.  In fact, I'd be very surprised to hear that Roland, Alesis , et al were NOT working on such an app.  I thought I'd seen some apps before that used FM synthesis (aka old skool) which probably makes using an iPhone as a sound source a reality, but you'd never expect high quality from that.

If a tiny portable sound source is what you're after, then the V-Machine (or variant) is probably what you're looking for:  http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/v-machines/vmachine

If cost is an issue and high-realism is not, then a small Roland or Alesis SR drum machine might be worth looking at.  These are also good as back-ups for when the crap hits the fan too, as they don't take up much space in your gig bag.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:26:16 AM by DrumWagon »
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

fastforever

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Forever Lazy
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:56:14 AM »

yes,,,Looks like it could just go inline between the Zendrum and Zendrumdrive if what it's recording/sending is MIDI data.

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »

Garageband for iPad 2 would be a good place to start?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/apps-by-apple/garageband.html

Mick

Grardo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:32:39 AM »

To be able to do this all apps need to be compatible with the multitasking possibility. When you open een 'wifi server' and switch to the remote control app no connection will be available.

If that works though and I can work with the music studio I think it should be possible to create whole songs with just your iPod and a WiFi connection. I also downloaded the app 'FingerBeat' it's a sampler with which I had loads of fun

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »

Well looks like Alesis might be onto something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10DEYi5veZE

Cheers
Mick

Pages: [1]   Go Up