Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On/Off Switch Cover  (Read 1389 times)

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
On/Off Switch Cover
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:00:12 AM »

So I'm noticing that even though the on/off switch is tucked in next to one of the rubber "feet" of my ZX, I'm still somehow accidentally bumping it more than I'm comfortable with (probably why so many of you don't have on/off switches any more).

I'm thinking of making some sort of cover for it. Something I can glue onto the backplate that can be flipped up when I want to use the switch, or possibly a cage I can reach through that will stay stationary. Either way, I've hit it by accident a few times already and I want to make sure that when I'm up on stage and performing, I don't jostle it.

Have any of you done something like this? Inspector, would this void my warranty or cause any issues?

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: On/Off Switch Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »

I must say I have not had that problem with my ZX.  I do remember the Inspector saying that the switches used to be in a bad spot and would turn off accidentally during a gig, but he moved the switch location so that would not happen.  What is hitting the switch?  Is it your belt, is it the way you are holding it?  Like I said, I haven't had this issue (yet), and it may be because of how I wear mine.  Some wear theirs low and others high, I think futureman wears his upside down in comparison.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

Hey Rob!

It hasn't actually happened in about a month, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on. I think it's my hip or belt that is bumping the switch. I should try to replicate it when I practice tonight and see what happens.

I did try adjusting my strap last week and raising it up a little bit because the ZX was hanging a little low. That could have contributed to it happening in the past. If I can eliminate it altogether without voiding my warranty, though, that would be best for me. I am the kind of klutz that would do fine for a few months, think that everything was better, and then bump it while up on stage in the middle of a performance.

The problem I think will be finding something that will suitably cover the switch without interfering with the rubber foot, so it has to be shallower than the foot. My friend has a CNC mill so he might be able to make something for me in a pinch.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »

Why don't you contact me directly and I'll try to help figure this out with you. 109
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »

Why don't you contact me directly and I'll try to help figure this out with you. 109

What he said!  I still occasionally bump mine to 'off', but these days it's due to operator error vs. design/placement.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »

I'd imagine just sticking a "L" or "U" shaped plastic wall around it would work.  3M outdoor tape (aka "the red tape") is really good at semi-permanently attaching things without causing damage.  I've used that stuff more times than I can count.  I've even used it on my Zendrum itself so can attest to it's safety.  I used it to attach a padded section to the rear of my ZX to keep it from destroying my shirts and grinding into my belt buckle.   ::)

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-Clear-MMM4011/dp/B00004Z4BV
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »

I have never bumped my on/off switch, I think my belly gets if the way :o Thumper
Thumper

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »

Hey David. Sorry I haven't called yet, it's been a busy time for me!
I'll drop you a call this afternoon when I get off work if that's cool, I'd like to hear any suggestions you might have.

I like the idea of putting a U shaped "wall" around the switch. I think that would do the trick and would be easily replaceable if it got rubbed off. Maybe my friend can mill a chunk of plastic for me.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »

Trust me, if you use the red tape it will not rub off  ;)

It is removable, but takes a lot of lateral force, and it will stretch long before it detaches.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3
Pages: [1]   Go Up