Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Peter Pan" Musical Perfomed Entirely on ZD-LT!  (Read 1425 times)

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
"Peter Pan" Musical Perfomed Entirely on ZD-LT!
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »

I received my Zendrum-LT in early December.  Shortly thereafter, I was invited to play in the pit for an upcoming musical, "Peter Pan."  I didn't tell the music director at the time, but I had the notion, from the get-go, that I would play the show solely with my ZD.   In the previous three years, I used my entire V-Drum ensemble which worked out extremely well.  Actually, I'm glad that I had this "gig" coming up because it really helped me focus on techniques in a big hurry.  The 5 piece ensemble rehearsed in my music studio and, from the very 1st session, I played every tune only with the ZD.  My fellow musicians were quite skeptical at first because it hardly seemed plausible to them that all the drum/percussion parts could be played convincingly on this instrument.  Today (Sunday matinee), we just completed our 3rd performance and I have to say that the ZD has worked out famously.  I did not even have to resort to foot pedals  which I originally thought would be necessary.  The enthusiastic support from the band, the cast, and director had been so positive that they already invited me to play next year's musical -- "Oklahoma" -- and, yes, they would like me to use the Zendrum. 

Surprisingly, I haven't experienced much audience response to this newfangled device.  I don't know if they can't see into the pit or just don't care that much about percussion.  One elder drummer did approach me after today's show and remarked, "..and here I thought I used to be a drummer!"  It was an extremely gracious compliment.   I suspect that some people may just feel a bit timid about coming up to the "drummer" and inquiring about the instrument.   Anyway . . .

GO ZENDRUMMERS![/b]
Ken

Michael Render

Re: "Peter Pan" Musical Perfomed Entirely on ZD-LT!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »

That is great. As a guy who also does musicals, I can't wait to try the Zendrum in the pit. I am glad your musical director had the good sense to see how big an asset they can be.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 06:57:14 AM »

I've done 3 high school musicals so far with my Zendrum, and will be doing my forth, Footloose, in May.

The Zen is a perfect instrument for these venues.  With my TD-10exp, I have every possible instrument I need, and I can create several differant maps depending on the musical needs.  The audiance never sees us as we are hidden behind a false wall.   :(  People often come up after the show and are surprised to not see a full percussion set-up.  Most comments are positive.  The negative ones I'll attribute to envy and ignorance.  ;D

Two of the musicals I had the Zen laying flat like a laptop with lots of accent instruments (bells, claps, triangles, timpanis, etc., and last year, Grease, and this years, Footloose, I play standing up using a traditional drum set mapping.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »

I just finished playing a run of "Grease" with my Zendrum.  This was a perfect avenue for it; small theater plus rock show.  One of my favorite things about the show was that halfway through I switched my module from my pedalboard to a borrowed Handsonic.  Changed a few MIDI notes, replugged a cable, boom. 

I concur that the Zendrum and electronic percussion in general is a vastly underrated and underused tool for pit orchestrae.  Unfortunately, I have also found that unless you have a very liberal production staff and a very forgiving acoustic environment, the e's can wind up being a letdown.  Too often I've found myself in a situation where "they don't sound like 'real drums' (gads how I hate that phrase) " is given more weight than "we have 900 percussion tones in a footprint the size of a suitcase".  But, there is always that one show where they say "don't you have that electric drum set?  We could really use that."  And it all works out.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:11:13 AM »

That is great.   The Zendrum is an awesome tool in the pit.  I did a show called "Once On This Island",  and the Zen was almost necessary for the show.  By remapping alot of the sounds,  I was able to play so many more percussive sound together than just Right foot/Left foot/Right Hand/Left hand stuff....

My MalletKat is another great tool for pit stuff--  one instrument,  yet you have bells/xylo/marimba/timpani/chimes/ or whatever you need at your disposal  (I have the one with the sounds on board)
Pages: [1]   Go Up