Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POTENTIAL LATENCY WITH MUSE/BFD/ZENDRUM  (Read 3087 times)

kunkyape

POTENTIAL LATENCY WITH MUSE/BFD/ZENDRUM
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:49:27 PM »

I haven't tried this yet as I am waiting to get a sequencer but after speaking to the distributor about using uniwire for live use and recording, he thought because of the nature of a drummer being reliant on timing that there are latency issues.

I thought the whole uniwire thing was going through the ethernet cable to elimate all these things??

Hopefully someone can confirm if this is or is not the case as at the moment I have sound forge but i do not have a dedicated line in on my laptop to record, as the mic input is not passive and hisses. So at the worst I will have to buy something like an mbox to record all my audio or something similar.

Seems like all I am doing is forking out extra money all the time after spending £1100 on the receptor, spending ££££'s on plug in's as well, you need to have already made it to be able to afford all this stuff!! And the worse thing is that PS3 is launched next friday that is even more money!!!!  ;)

Your thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

PS. I must admit I am suitably blown away by BFD and Zendrum, absolutely amazing and I bought some speakers Behringer Truth 2031A's and they are excellent value for money, only £200 or $380-400.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: POTENTIAL LATENCY WITH MUSE/BFD/ZENDRUM
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »

The Receptor does not take the place of an audio interface for computer recording.  The whole purpose of Uniwire is to take the strain off of the CPU usage in your computer.  This approach also keeps the signal path in the digital world.  You will still need an audio interface.

When I work with Receptor in the studio I monitor the audio from the Receptor as the MIDI info is being recorded.  When I am happy with the performance, I setup the Receptor as a uniwire and make my edits.  With this approach, there is NO extra latency.  I am playing to the feed from the DAW and listening to the audio from the Receptor at the same time.

For live playing, you just plug straight into the MIDI input on the back of the Receptor and the audio out goes to your sound system.

Who was the distributer that you talked to, and what does he distribute?  Increasing the CPU power of the host DAW by using Uniwire helps latency issues.  Latency will also depend on your computer, audio interface, and software choice. 

The important thing to remember is doing research before you buy anything.  It seems like you are getting bad info.

For more info on Uniwire, check out the www.musereasearch.com web site.  They have some videos and great information on uniwire.  They also host a great forum that will provide plenty of information.  There are a few different types of Receptors available.  You need to make sure that the one you buy is up to the task when combined with everything else that you intend to use

Hope this helps.   ;D
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

kunkyape

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:44 AM »

Thanks John, I have got the Rev C version and it has 1 gig of Ram in it at the mo and the basic 160gb Hard Disk. I am using a Sony Vaio laptop (1gig ram, core duo 1.66) to use the remote control, as opposed to using a seperate monitor and mouse. Just a thing I have noticed as well, I have been transferring files across from my laptop to the receptor and it is taking absolutely ages. To put it in context, it takes around an hour to transfer around 2gig which seems really excessive to me. Should it really take that long using a crossover connection?? I though the whole idea was that the file transfer speed would be quick??

The guy who I have been speaking to is the main distributor of Receptor in the UK called Grizzly Media, he has been down to my house to help me out and stuff and he has distributed around 50 receptors to people in the UK over the past 12 months and alot of these are famous recording artists in the UK.

With respect to research, trust me, I have done tonnes and tonnes of research on this but its until you get down to the nitty gritty where particular things crop up. I have been on alot of forums, and in fairness you have answered a lot of my queries and without your knowledge and knowledge of others, it would have been even more difficult to access this type of gear/setup. My friend also thought I was getting some duff info from what I was telling him and its diffidult for me as this is a new world which I am slowly getting used to.

Don't get me wrong, BFD works great and for live performance its amazing, all I wanted clarity on was the whole uniwire set up and the fact that I would probably have to buy a firewire mixer (I was thinking of an Alesis Multimix 8) to use in conjunction with my laptop to record. But based on what you have said below, uniwire should in theory run ok or worst case, just record the audio live and miss uniwire out of the loop.

Thanks

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 07:29:31 PM »

You may also want to increase the RAM in the Receptor.  Two GIG is the max and the speed it gives your BFD performance is worth it. 

Your load time does seem a little on the slow side.  What file are you moving?

John
John Emrich

Michael Render

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:06:45 AM »

Your file transfer speed is much slower than mine. Any chance your laptop is 10BaseT instead of 100BaseT?

kunkyape

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »

Hi Chaps

I was moving the jazz and funk expansion pack across to the receptor. It took me 24 hours in total!!!! I will have a look at the ram upgrade later on, want to get the Percussion expansion pack next......

With respect to the Base T, I have not got a clue what that is so enlighten me!!!!  ;D

Cheers

Michael Render

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 06:45:04 AM »

XBaseT is the speed of the ethernet port on your Laptop. 10BaseT = 10Mbs. 100BaseT = 100Mbs. Most everything these days have 100BaseT (or Gigabit if you're lucky). If your laptop is older, it might have a slow ethernet port. So what would take me 1 hour to transfer would take you 10!

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 07:59:12 PM »

If i understand this correctly there will be no latency when you play live using the recepter and BFD? Only when you record thru the computer?  THUMPER
Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:22:05 PM »

I am thinking about a purchase of bfd and the receptor will this combonation have no latency?
Thumper

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »

Latency is a mathematical equation.  Technically speaking, there will always be latency of some kind.  It comes down to feel and using a BFD Turbo Receptor with the Zendrum, you do not feel it.  I run my machine at 32 for the sample buffer size.  This is the lowest and it feels great.  You can run the Receptor at up to 128 (buffer size) before you start to "feel " it.  Sometimes this is needed depending on how many samples you use and how big they are.  For example, if I am triggering backing track samples and using BFD sounds with a lot of processing, the higher buffer size helps keep things from clipping.  My noise floor on the Zendrum is also very low and the dynamic expression with this combination is second to none.  IMO

What is really cool is that the Zendrum has been around for a long time and only now, with software can you really get the most out of it.  Just goes to prove that the Zendrum ROCKS.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »

Thank you for your response. right now i am using a roland spd-20 to trigger my sounds with a bose  L1 with 2 subs and somtimes 4 with the paclite  amp and i am researching what else is out there . I am trying to get as small of a footprint as i can. Between the amp.processor,zendrum,cables,mic, it gets to be alot to load in and set up so i am trying to make that simple and still sound good . Thumper
Thumper

Chris Jude

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 01:27:32 PM »

...What is really cool is that the Zendrum has been around for a long time and only now, with software can you really get the most out of it.  Just goes to prove that the Zendrum ROCKS...
On a similar note, I've recently commented to David that in my opinion the triggering not being bested in all this time is another testament to the Zen.  David is modest, but I refuse to believe that it was short of extraordinary to get such an organic feel out of an electronic interface.  Its truly one of the most satisfying electronic instruments to play ever (in my humble opinion).  The fact that it is piezo based and not only doesn't horribly cross-trigger but to the contrary plays like intuitive hand percussion magic is hard to believe until you experience it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up