Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZX won't power on  (Read 2107 times)

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
ZX won't power on
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »

For any of you night owl tribesmen...
Last night, my Z4 ZX worked just fine. Tonight, I picked it up to start practicing with it, and it won't power on off the old battery, off either of two fresh batteries, or wired through the Merge Brick. When I flip the switch, either the screen stays blank, or flashes a "18" or "1F" for half a second, then goes blank and doesn't respond to input.
Any ideas? Only had the thing a couple of months. :\ I really did not expect to be taking advantage of the warranty after such a short time... I'm hoping it's user error...

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: ZX won't power on
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:48:02 AM »

Don't freak out just yet, the Zendrum is a very reliable controller.  I don't know what those codes mean, but rest assured that the inspector will be in touch with you to get this figured out.  Did you try plugging your Zendrum into the merge brick that come with your Zendrum?  You can power up your Zen with the merge brick, if you do that and get the same codes, then there is an issue somewhere.  The inspector will find out and get you back up and zenning again.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:56:27 AM »

I've sent you my cell phone number.
Call asap. Likely a very simple issue to fix.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »

Inspector, after you find out what is going on, can you please post it or send me an email with the problem and solution so I can be on the lookout for a potential problem in the future, even a list of the codes would be great.  I am using my ZX more and more and I rarely sit behind the kit anymore and I would hate to show up to a gig and my Zen flashed a 18 or 1F at me and then shut off and I wouldn't know why.

Thanks,

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:01:48 PM »

Sure.
It's the beginning of the run generator start up sequence.

Has to be a power issue but it's being shipped here for diagnosis and repair now.

So Rob, when you play a drumkit gig, do you take two sticks and expect not to drop one?
Do not tempt Murphy, he will bite you on your butt.
Have plan B ready at all times.

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:29 PM »

So Rob, when you play a drumkit gig, do you take two sticks and expect not to drop one?
Do not tempt Murphy, he will bite you on your butt.
Have plan B ready at all times.

LOL, Amen to that  :)
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »

I guess that means I need another ZX and another MacBook, or maybe the Zendrum Drive??????????

Rob

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »

Precisely.

Don't bet the band's pay on it.

Prepare for anything and remove the pressure.

You'll have a lot more fun if you have an answer when the time comes.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

Yeah, I have been caught with my proverbial pants down on occasion, usually concerning a dead or missing cable.

(Wouldn't that be a great band name: Proverbial Pants???  I have now copyrighted it... >-D)

You know what I think would be the perfect last-ditch backup plan?  An old Roland SPD-8.  I used to have one, and sold it for a laughable price; I now wish I hadn't.  It's self-contained and I could limp through a gig on it if I needed to.  Sounds pretty dated but better than going home, and takes up basically no space.  Could double as a controller if ZX happened to die, could act as module if MacBook crapped out, or even as both if needed.  eBay, here I come...

Jer

PS:  SO sorry to tout the virtues of Brand-R here!  LOL

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:39:47 AM »

Proverbial Pants is a great name.
The first album should be titled: "Downthreat".
Any option within arms reach is a good one when the main chute doesn't open.
Remember that I told you so.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »

Rob, it was a power issue related to a bad pcb part.
It's replaced now and redelivered with a new board, new serial number, and factory presets.
Hopefully, it's the only one we'll ever see come back like this.
No one likes gear failure less than me.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »

Thanks for the update Inspector, I just like knowing how it is ticking and what may be the cause of any issue, not that I would be able to fix it, but at least I know.

Thanks,

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up