Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zen Pedal board / TRS damper pedals for "hi-hat control"...  (Read 2506 times)

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Zen Pedal board / TRS damper pedals for "hi-hat control"...
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »

Greetings everyone. I am working on designing a pedal board to support my ZenRig. Included would be some kind of loop pedal (probably the Boss RC-50), a kick pedal with a Roland KD-7 trigger, possibly a "hyper-drive" kick pedal, and either the Roland hi-hat pedal OR... I was considering using a keyboard damper pedal with a TRS connector since a hi-hat control pedal uses the same connection. Has anyone had luck with this?  I am asking because I am going to use my Alesis DM-PRO to serve as the "control outlet" for the pedals which would go to BFD2 via MIDI. This will allow me to keep the Zendrum wireless with the Midi-Jet Pro.

I have also been trying to find the FATKAT pedals with no success. This includes going to the Alternate Mode website as well. Just trying to figurebout a way to maximize space. This whole set-up will incorporate a minimum of an 8 pair cable, though it may wind up being a 12 pair.  This multi-pair would support the audio (both directions) for the loop pedal, exteral drum triggers, power for the loop pedal, midi, etc.

Here is the possible choices for multi-pair configurations...

8/9/12 pair cable
1. Trig 1, TRS - Hat - (2) 1/4" TRS male
2. Trig 2, TRS - Kick - (2) 1/4" TRS male
3. Trig 3, TRS - Extra kick/Foot - (2) 1/4" TS Female jack
4. Aud 1 L & R In TRS - (2) 1/4" TS female jack
5. Aud 2 L & R Out TRS - (2) 1/4" TS female jack
6. Aud 3 TRS - L & R Spare/Mic - (2) 1/4" TS & XLR female
7. Aud 4/Power 9 VDC - TS, Aud4/Trig4 RS 9VDC Pwr
or PS3 power distro 
8. Midi 1 - 5p din (to include switchable Zen Pwr)
9. Midi 2 - 5p din 
10. Spare for trigger/MIDI/Audio
11. Spare for trigger/MIDI/Audio
12. Spare for trigger/MIDI/Audio
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Zen Pedal board / TRS damper pedals for "hi-hat control"...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:09:38 AM »

To satisfy the curiosity of the audio/power line, a guitar player friend of mine came up with a "phantom power" system for guitar pedals using a TRS 1/4" cable. The TS part of the cable would be the unbalanced audio signal, with the RS part used for the 9VDC power. It works VERY WELL!!  If you google "P3 phantom power" you should find it. Have a nice day...
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »

I've had good results using an FD-8 connected with a TS mono cable.

My advice is to keep the power feed and the audio lines away from each other to avoid hum.

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »

I was considering using a keyboard damper pedal with a TRS connector since a hi-hat control pedal uses the same connection.

I have not tried this, but I don't think it will work.  As far as I know, damper pedals are a simple switch (on/off) while a hi-hat pedal requires positional sensing for half-open, etc.  Also, the physical feel would be not at all analogous to a real hh pedal.  You'll be much happier with one designed for this purpose.

Also, HH pedals DON'T need TRS connections.  They use mono TS connections.   As you probably know, you can use TRS cables for TS applications (although not the other way around)- the ring connection just doesn't get used.  E-drum kits often include TRS cables for HH simply because then ALL the cables are TRS and you can't go wrong.

Good luck; post pics when you're done with this cool idea!

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up