Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Drummers  (Read 6576 times)

DrakeSherman

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Drummers
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:07:53 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread....!!!!
I think Jim Chamberlain (Smashin Pumpkins) is the best drummer till now...!!!

susiehaynes

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 07:18:55 AM »

mine is Ringo Starr. ;D

Tom Roady

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »

Ok...waaayyyy toooo many to list......but.....for me its always been the groove...time, feel, pocket, and the guys that bring the magic to a song.. ...so..Drumkit players..Jeff Porcaro, Jim Keltner, Steve Gadd, Bernard Purdie, Russ Kunkel,  Steve Jordan , and last but certainly not least John Bonham....each of these guys just always play with a feel like no others...and they each will in a song play something that ALWAYS makes me sit up and go "whoa!!!!"  and feel better when I hear it. And it might be just a simple fill that just lands perfectly...all these guys had or have that "thing" that just works.

Now hand drums and percussion....a whole different king of thing...Lenny Castro....amazing feel time and heart...Luis Conte....master of what and where to play..and both of them are friends of mine that I love and respect so much......Giovanni...just for his incredible speed and technique on everything he touches...Zakir on tabla without a doubt..the master now that his father has passed...and my all time favorite percussionist..Ralph McDonald....he ruled the recording world as a percussionist in the 70s and 80s...from On Broadway with George Benson to Kenny Loggins to Paul Simon to Billy Joel....he's playing the muted finger cymbals and percussion on "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" with
Gadd on his famous military part...he and Ralph just lock so well on that....and that is Ralph on Billy's "Just The Way You Are" and Bill Withers "Just the Two Of Us"...nuthing but taste, feel, time, and pocket...and he has been playing with Jimmy Buffet for the past 20 years and probably one of the best paying and most fun gigs on this planet for a percussionist!!!........so there is my list and I'm stickin' to it   "the mayor"

JustDave

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 01:27:56 PM »

I agree with Tom....way too many to mention here. Maybe a couple:
Brian Blade, Keith Carlock, Vinnie (great stuff with Zappa)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up