Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auditioned for new band with Zendrum  (Read 809 times)

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Auditioned for new band with Zendrum
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:50:56 pm »

I was asked to try out/jam with a new band and didn't want to lug my kit for just a couple of hours, so I took the Z4. So, after only a few months and not enough practice on the Zen and a sense of incredible under-preparation, I plugged in and looked at the guitarist expectantly.
"Let's try Santana's 'Black Magic Woman'," he said. This is a song my other band does really well - but it's always a bit tricky in the intro doing the cymbal roll and the start of the beat simultaneously on the kit. That's why Santana has more than one drummer! On the Zen, it was perfect - and together with my TD-20 "Live Timbales" kit, it was perhaps one of the best performances of that song I've ever done. The rest of the guys were dumb-struck.
The rest of the jam was blues and "pub rock" items - simple doof-doof-chick stuff, which is fairly easy on Z4.
Bottom line is that they were all blown away by this cool instrument and when I left, they were talking to the studio manager about the Zendrum.
As for the band, I don't think I'll be joining despite their enthusiasm. A couple of them are good musos, but their vocals are shocking and I almost cringed during every number. It's hard to believe they have regular gigs without any vocal ability.
But the point of the story is to encourage other Zendrummers to get it out there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:29:51 pm by digitalDrummer »

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Auditioned for new band with Zendrum
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:37:10 pm »

I agree, just get out and play, eventually, the right band will search you out.
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:54:10 pm »

That's very cool, DD.
If you can hear yourself well enough to really relax and play, you will amaze everyone, including yourself!
It took a while for me to really train my band, mainly to get used to playing at half my normal acoustic kit volume.
The benefits are pretty obvious once the preconceptions disappear and everybody just grooves.
It still seems like a magic trick to the uninitiated.
Fun to watch their reactions, and you definitely made your point!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:30:59 am »

It still seems like a magic trick to the uninitiated.

Still feels like a magic trick after years.
Play nice.

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »

Not one gig goes by (after 4 years of steady gigging with 2 different bands) without someone asking me "what is that thing your playing?". And surprisingly, when I say electronic drums and percussion, some of them remark wide-eyed, " I thought I heard drums, but I didn't know where it was coming from!".  Guess I have to do a solo now, so people will know where the drums are coming from! 
I agree, keep playing and you WILL find the right group of musicians that will welcome you with open arms. I have, twice! The current band is probably the best group of musicians I've ever had the privilege of joining, from 3 and 4 part spot-on vocals, to fantastic musicianship. They embrace the Zendrum.... Lucky me!

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up