Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Macbook pro  (Read 1494 times)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
New Macbook pro
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:08:55 PM »

It cool with all these birthdays happening! I am celebrating by upgrading my computer which I just got today! Wow, ordered it Sat, it was built Sun in Shanghai China, and delivered to me today Wens IN Austin Texas Wow!. Now to figure out what direction to go  to make it do what I want to make it do. Got some wood shedding to do. Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: New Macbook pro
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:54:06 AM »

Congrats on the Mac.  Have fun with it, there will be a slight learning curve for sure if you are used to a PC Laptop.
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

There indeed be a learning curve with a MAC.  Aye still be fooling around with the blasted machine, but Aye be getting the hang of it.  So far the biggest issue has been to get the MAC to work with me external monitor.  Even the folks at Apple were stumped, but Aye finally figured it out.  And Aye be taking lessons at the Apple store.  Of course, now Aye must spend me hard earned Pyrate Booty (not to be confused with me First Mate's fine Pyrate Booty), on new software such as Ableton, acquiring a Roland FC-300 (although Aye have also been considering a Behringer FCB 1010 as well) and getting the Jolly Roger Zendrum upgraded to a Z4 rig.   Aye also have to study PocketMaster's videos again to see how he has his rig hooked together.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:03:19 AM »

Feel free to contact me directly Pyrate.  It is easier than it sounds.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

Congrats on the Mac.  Have fun with it, there will be a slight learning curve for sure if you are used to a PC Laptop.
Thanks Pocketmaster, I Have been a MAC user since the early 80''s so I can get around it pretty good. Thumper

Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

How are things going with the Macbook Pro?

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »

I am taking my time with it and really thinking on how I want to do this and go about seting it up. I have BFD2 ,just bought Superior 2 and I am thinking about getting a couple of the other sounds with it. I have Battery 3 that will be incorporated somehow also. I have just upgreade my Digital Performer 6 to 7 and it should be here next week and I am going to see if that can be my host. I am excited but have been working a lot so it will happen when it happens. thanks for asking Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »

I have to say that the thing I like the most about my setup is that everything works on batteries.  My FC-300 takes 6 AA batteries, my ZX does the 9V, my MIDIJet Pro takes 2 AA, and my laptop with the battery in it.  I can just walk up to an open mic night, not plug anything into the wall, just my audio output cables to the board and I am rocking out, usually I am only up with my friends for about 30 minutes, more than enough time for my laptop battery.  It is great.  Of course for the full gigs I am plugged in everywhere except my ZX, thank you David for coming up with the internal wireless and internal battery!

Rob

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

So you are taking a 1/8" stereo  out the headphone jack of the computer then ?    XLR OR 1/4" to seperate left and and right to the PA or speakers? That seems like the easiest way to go to me but I have read many post using an audio interface of some kind. I am wondering what the advantages of doing it that way are?  Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:04 PM »

I am using the 1/8" stereo out and connecting to the headphone jack on the side of the MacBook Pro.  It splits to two 1/4" connectors, one left and one right, I connect those right into the sound board, you can connect stereo into one channel or one into one channel and the other into another channel.  By doing that I get the full stereo effect on the toms going left to right, same with the Ride and Crashes, you can hear it as if there was a kit on stage.  When I play for my church, they have me go into two separate direct boxes converting the 1/4" connectors to two XLR's and then going into the snake which connects to the board from there.  I notice a hum when using the DI boxes, but not sure if that is from me or one of the other instruments in the monitors.  It isn't enough that it can be heard over the music, even during the breaks between songs, it is barely noticeable, I think I hear it more because we use in ear monitors for church.  But my main connection is 1/8" stereo out to two 1/4" mono outs and right into the board.

Rob

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »

.. they have me go into two separate direct boxes converting the 1/4" connectors to two XLR's
I've been told by a number of people to avoid DI boxes - specifically for drum modules. Not sure if the same applies to laptop output.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 04:17:31 AM »

I typically don't use the DI boxes, but in this one case, the sound man "knows" best and he is telling me there is more "noise" in the system when I don't use them, but everywhere else I have played doesn't seem to be a problem when I plug straight into the board.

Rob

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 02:48:54 PM »

PM,

The DIs are a good idea in this case.  The outputs you're sending from your Mac are unbalanced (meaning 2-conductor- signal and ground).  Unbalanced lines degrade quickly over distance and pick up interference easliy.  If you were to use an audio interface with balanced outs (TRS connections) then you woudn't need the DIs.  This also explains why someone advised Digital Drummer earlier in this thread that DIs are not recommended for drum modules- drum modules generally have TRS balanced outputs, in which case the DI would be unnecessary.  Bottom line: if you're going to run long distances in cable (as is often the case with snake setups) you need balanced lines, and that's what you get out of a DI.

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:17:19 PM »

Thanks for the knowledge, I am running a 3ft cord in one band straight to the board, using the wireless from my Zendrum of course, so my MacBook is right next to the board, for my church thing, we do use a snake and I do run through DI boxes for that.  There is still a hum in the monitor system, but I don't think it is from me.  But I will keep that knowledge in mind for future sound setups, I already have a DI box, I may just get another one for my stereo outs from the MacBook.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up