Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD2 Questions  (Read 9928 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: BFD2 Questions
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »

Avast Thar Wagon,

Aye be using a Fastlane USB to MIDI Interface, which then goes to a MOTU 8x8 Midi Interface, all MIDI ins are sent to all MIDI outs (lazy [rogramming on me part).  No wireless yet.  Sound output is from the PC to an Alesis 12R Rackmount mixer.  The TD-20 is also hooked into the mixer and the MOTU MIDI interface.  The outputs from the mixer are connected to my studio monitors (KRK RP-5s).  I have another external hard drive that has most of my music files (ripped from CDs) on it, sdeparate from the BFD2 external hard drive.  I checked my IO settings in BFD2.  Audio devices are set for Microsoft Sound Mapper, Audio channels are set to "1+2",  Audio Buufer is set to 2048, Sample Rate is set to 96000, MIDI Ports are shown as previously mentioned, Sync to MIDI clock is unchecked and the ASIO Control Panel is grayed out and not selectable.

I still be lost at sea.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:20:46 am by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 07:48:04 pm »

2 suggestions:

-Click 16-Bit mode in the Engine preferences.
-Get an external Audio interface.  I use a Motu Ulrtalite.  I know it's pricy, but I believe audio processing is your issue.

CHECK with John E.!  He KNOWS this stuff man... he'll get you hooked up.

Jer

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »

............ Audio Buufer is set to 2048........
Pyrate

This looks like your problem  I think the time equation for 2048 samples is something like one week.  (Kidding, but it is very late)  You need to get your buffer down to around 128.  You should also set your sample rate to 24.  It looks like you are trying to get the maximum resolution.  Problem is that you are maxing out your CPU.  In the end it comes out as analog to your speakers.  lowering the resolution will not be noticed on consumer grade audio devices and you will have better performance.

How are you playing music and playing BFD2 at the same time?  Are you using a host (DAW) program?  If so what?  Sorry, but I just saw this thread and you may have answered this already.

Sound mapper might be the problem.  If you can get your hands on a dedicated audio interface that is designed with music production in mind, you will get better performance.  You could look at the Presonus line.  They are easy on the wallet and adjustable for Buffer settings that will work better.  They also ship with free DAW versions of their new software program.  You can load your "ripped" audio track into one channel and host BFD2 in another MIDI channel.  That will help you line things up AND you can record yourself.

Hope this helps.

John

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 07:04:58 am »

Avast Thar Mr. Wizard,

The way Aye play BFD and ripped music is easy.  First Aye load BFD with the kit of my choice, then Aye open up Windows media player.  Aye start playing the MP3 playlist and then join in with the Jolly Roger Zen.  My MP3 files are stored on an external Hard Drive that is different from the one that Aye use for BFD.  No problem other than the latency Aye am experiencing.  Aye have reset BFD to the specs you suggest and gave that a try.  According to what I see in the menu, the lowest sample rate I can choose is 44100.   When I set the buffer to anything below 1024 Aye get a static sounding feedback whenever Aye strike a pad.  I also notice that no matter how many times Aye save my keymaps, kits, mixer settings and presets, when I reload the preset (checking to make sure the keymap feature is selected), the sounds are rarely where Aye have assigned them on the Jolly Roger Zen.  Other ambiance settings also manage to change, (like when I hit the snare drum pad and get bass drum sounds with it), without input on my part.  Aye am looking at an external audio interface.  So far Aye have looked at the MOTU unit that Zendrumdude has mentioned and the M-Audio Fast Track Pro.  The M-Audio unit is very reasonable priced (around $199), works with usb 2.0 and also has MIDI in and out ports, which means Aye can probably eliminate the MOTU Fastlane that Aye purchased a week or so ago, at your suggestion (a very good suggestion I might add), as it would be redundant.

Now Aye realize Aye be an Olde Salty Pyrate, but when it comes to compukers Aye ain't quite a complete dummy (look at what Aye really do for a living).  So Aye be at a loss in understanding this musical software stuff and Aye apologize to the tribe for my ignorant questions.  But Aye be learning.  Slowly, to be sure, but learning nonetheless.  Thank you all for being so patient.

Perhaps you could just come over for dinner one evening and set this thing up properly.

Far Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:24:23 am by Pyrate »
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 07:33:26 am »

Hey Pyrate,

Here is an idea.  Although I don't use BDF2, I am using Superior and I am sure the two have similarities.  I set my MIDI note numbers in the software, snare 36, kick 38, and so on.  I then just change my ZX pads to where I want 36, 38, and so on leaving the software alone.  I have not had an issue with loading up a kit and not having the pads set the way I programmed it.  Try leaving the assigned notes within the software alone and just change the MIDI note number on your "Jolly Roger" and you should be good to go, hypothetically speaking that is......

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »

Pyrate,

Seems to me you have 2 sets of issues here: audio and file management.  There's no way I can add further to John's info, but I can tell you that he helped me set mine up, and I have my sample buffer set really low as he suggested, with no distortion that you mentioned.  I might have mine set at 256 instead of 128, but somewhere in there.

Now, about the save issues:

I don't know if this will help, but I really had a frustrating time learning how to navigate this, and I have figured out how it works for me, without fail.

Let's say I am working on a preset and have changed settings in ALL windows, and want to save them for recall.  I go to the mixer page, save the mixer with the name of the kit it goes with.  I go to the keymap page, save keymap with the name of the kit.  I go to the kit page, and save the kit with its name.  THEN, after all of those are all named and saved, I go save the PRESET with the name of the kit (all the names line up, just for my sanity's sake).  When I open BFD2 next time, I click "load preset" and choose that preset.  Click "load keymap" box at the bottom of the preset load window.  This has never failed for me, once I figured out saving all the different windows before saving the preset.

I hope that helps, matey!

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 04:26:04 pm »

Avast Thar Zendrumdude,

As you have suggested, Aye have saved the mixer setup with the name of the kit, the kit itself to a similar name and the keymap in a similar manner.  And finally the preset.  When Aye load the preset, pads have mysteriously changed.  Perhaps Aye have a ghost in me compuker.  Eventually I will figure it out.  Since Mr. Wizard just happens to live near me, perhaps he will be tempted by me dinner offer. 

Pyrate

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 07:53:45 am »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Here be the latest in me saga of BFD2.  Listening to me shipmate Mr. Wizard, I purchased a Presonus USB audio interface.  Setup was a breeze and the Studio 1 software that came with it seems so imposing Aye haven't even really tried doing anything with it yet.  Aye have setup a brand new kit in BFD2 and mapped it to me Jolly Roger Zen.  All of the notes that Aye have mapped out sound fine at first touch.  BFD2 be definitely more sensitive than me TD-20.  However, Aye noticed that when playing finger rolls, BFD2 seems to be delaying more and more as the finger roll continues.  It appears that anything faster than 16th notes causes this latency.  It is not something that Aye notice with me TD-20.  Hopefully one of you fine BFD2 experts can assist me with this probably small issue.  Aye suspect BFD2 operator error on me part.

Aye still be floundering in the BFD2 sea of frustration. So sit right down and Aye'll tell you a tale.  A tale of a fateful trip, that started in a Mid-Atlantic port aboard me tiny ship.......

Pyrate
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:55:30 am by Pyrate »

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 09:35:15 pm »

1.  Check your inbox.

2.  I would also like you to check your version of BFD2.  The current one available is build 47.  Make sure you have it.

3.  You might be having some problems running both your media player and BFD2 at the same time.  Using the DAW software that you got with the Presonus will fix that.  Load the tune into an audio track and BFD2 into an instrument track.

4.  You can also use that software to turn your tracks into 16 bit audio files and load them into BFD2, hit a trigger and play along.

Aye am sure that we can get you sorted out.

John
John Emrich

GregDavis

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 05:05:05 am »

I would like to know Does BFD have side stick sounds??

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2011, 08:36:29 pm »

yes.  all snares have cross stick ( side stick) samples.

cheers!
John Emrich
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up