Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifier Reccomendation  (Read 6387 times)

GaryLee

Amplifier Reccomendation
« on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »

What do you think is a decent amplifier for your typical small bar gigs?  Been looking at Rolands, Peavey and a few others.  Just looking for some ideas don't want too heavy.

timecutter

Re: Amplifier Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »

Good question.  I asked it myself, and continue to ask it.  Seems that most people are using keyboard amps or PA type units (e.g., Mackie SRM450s), with or without subwoofers.  I've been very happy with the sound of my Roland KC350, which works great for the small coffeehouse size stuff I do, but which would not nearly be loud enough for rock 'n roll in a bar.    Some folks are using the bigger Roland (the KC500), but I hear it too gets maxed out with rock guitar & bass.    Hope this is a helpful start.

peace & harmony

Mark

Michael Render

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »

I don't like the Mackie 450s. The 12" doesn't thump.
I heard John Emerich play through a Barbetta SE-41 and it sounded great. Even without the sub.
I personally use db Technologies 405s. They deliver a lot of thump and still sound crisp.
I know a lot of guys who use and love the JBL Eons.
Avoid Behringer - to my ears they sound awful.

For drums, you need a full range speaker. Keyboard amps and small powered PA speakers are going to be your best bets. Unless you are buying top-of-the-line gear, you need a 15" speaker to handle the lows. Small setups with a sub are also quite popular. Like the B-52 Matrix, although I have never heard them.

Other factors include price and portability.

GaryLee

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:25:43 PM »

Yes, price is a big deal right now after my Zen purchase.  At the same time hate to buy an amp only to find I have to turn around and get something else 6 months down the road (maybe 12 months) no idea on the learning curve on the Zen.  I'm leaning toward a Roland.

bjames

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »

I've been using a Mackie SRM450 and while it lacks some low-end (as others have pointed out), you can get a decent sound out of it with a little eq 'tweaking' and it seems to push the volume well enough.   I've heard adding a second 450 helps, but ultimately I'd like to get a sub instead of a second 450...then add the 2nd 450 after that  ;D

You will need some kind of powered mixer as well.  Of course, this is leading me further and further away from the portability factor that got me into the Zendrum in the first place!  :-\

I tried the Roland KC-500 a few years back, but they bog down (i.e. distort) as soon as you try to increase volume along with the rest of the band. 

Brian

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 04:00:38 PM »

I don't like the Mackie 450s. The 12" doesn't thump.

Agreed.  The sound is crisp, but I'd use it for guitar, not percussion.
Play nice.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »

Well, I will be the oddball here. I used a Crate APM 75 for many years then switched to a Mackie SRM 450 a few months ago.
EXCELLENT low end and plenty of punch. An awesome sounding speaker.
So there........ ;D

Cheers,
Steve

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 08:35:08 PM »

I'm using a roland kc-150.  It does what I want it to do and it is lightweight.  Almost any venue I've played has their own sound, so the zen goes into the board, the amp is just for a monitor.  If the venue doesn't have sound, I have to bring my own sound system anyway, so I use that.   I have a giant peavey KB300 amp here, but I prefer the roland.

My friend Doug is good friends with the drummer from Def Leppard, and he told me that those big marshall stacks at rock concerts are actually cardboard, they fold up and are just for looks.  They have amps miked backstage, the sound goes through the house.
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys!

I suppose the question you have to ask yourself here is "How loud do I want to get?".  Once that question is answered then you will be able to narrow down the choices.  Mr. Wizard's Barbetta sounded terrific and there happens to be one just like it listed on ebay.  I don't know how it would sound in a big room, but it packed plenty of punch in my living room, Arrgghhhh!

Fair Winds and Follwoing Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »

This is a long debated question for "electric" drummers--   I can't even count the amount of threads over at Vdrums.com on this topic.   I'll just give my experiences:

--Mackie SRM450's--   some say they lack thump.   I think if your playing a big room-- agreed.   but for small shows/personal monitor/practicing/ or at "home" use--  I love 'em.   I have a pair of them now as well.

--I use the Bose PAS for some stuff--   basically "like" a PA System  very loud,  decent bottom end,  great top end, and very compact/versatile considering it's "like" a PA  (4 inputs,  some different sound shapes for the inputs...)  Drawback--  very pricey...

Roland TDA 700's-  They are big.  But they have wheels.  They sound really,  really good for electronic drums.   But I use a pair of them.   One is Great for a stage monitor or for practice/home use..  but for playing out you would need more/pair...  again,  pricey-  and in-fact,  I think they are discontinued.

--  ISP Tecnolgies Tripower 15 --   basically it's a PA speaker that's Powered.  WOW.  that's all I can say --Price -wise I think it is very comparable to anything of it's make.

I've heard nothing but good things about the db Tech. 405's--  but have no personal experience with them.

I think alot of it has to do with "what" you are using them for,  for the majority of your time.  Your style of music comes into play,  how loud you need to be/etc..  there's so many variables--   do a search on Vdrums and you'll have a few hours of reading for yourself...

GaryLee

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:03:02 PM »

Thanks, I will head over to Vdrum site and check it out.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 07:06:21 AM »

JBL EON G2!!

Nuf said.   ;D
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

timecutter

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »

The Barbetta amps are looking (sounding) better & better to me.  Small, clean, LOUD, lots of presence.   Put my little Roland to shame.  I want one - maybe two.   Small company - in California I think.  Their stuff sounds great.  http://www.barbetta.com

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »

I'm using a Bose PAS dual sub set-up and I like the sound and the functionality I play a guitar primarily and use the zen laptop on a stand nice volume and sounds good in almost any location even outdoors and big rooms
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:02:02 PM by retro surfer »
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

GaryLee

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 11:30:47 PM »

Well I ended up with two Roland KC-500 amps.  I will give them a try this weekend.  Got a good deal on them.  Thanks, for all the input.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up