Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer upgrade question  (Read 929 times)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Computer upgrade question
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »

I am thinking about upgrading to a Macbook Pro laptop. If I get one with 8 gigs of Ram and a 256 solid state drive would a i7 duo core or woud a i7 quad core processor be a better option. the Quad I think is 2.0 hzt? and the duo has a 2.7 hzt processor.  Does it matter which one with the solid state drive? They also have a new Thunderport which I understand to be 20 times faster than usb 2.0. I was thinking about waiting for the hardrive companies to come out with a compatible  harddrive. What do you all think? Thumper  ps I will be running BFD2 to start and then maybe Superior 2
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Computer upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:54 am »

I just upgraded mine to 8GB of RAM--That is a must in my opinion.  I am using an i5 duo core processor and it runs great, not sure about the quad.  I would think the problem with this Thundrport which from what you say is 20 times faster than USB, what devices will you be hooking up to it that is Thunderport compadible?  I do not have a solid state drive, but after loading my software everything (for the most part) runs in RAM so the drive is not running.  I am using Ableton Live now which takes up about 1.7GB of RAM with SD2 running as a VST, the OS is using about 250MB of RAM, which leaves me just under 6GB to load various drum kits from SD2 into a track in Ableton Live.  Pretty sweet setup if you ask me.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:15 am »

There are no periferals using Thunderport out YET that I know of but I believe they are coming. Hey Pocketmaster I saw an interesting article about Ableton in EM electronic magazine. You should check it out Thumper Yes you do have a SWEET setup  ;D
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:37 am »

Thanks, I will see if I can find the article, do you have a link?

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »

Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:08:33 pm »

I searched up at the top type in Ableton and look at the April 1st article Master Class for Ableton Hope that helps Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:25:27 pm »

Great article, thanks for sharing that.

Rob

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »

Glad to help! Thumper
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Being the newest tribe member to jump on the Macbook Pro bandwagon (pun intended), Aye have a few opinions.  8 GB of RAM is great, but don't use Apple memory as they charge a Pyrate's ransom for it. As far as the i7 duo or i7 quad, the quad will be just a hair faster, but most people won't be able to tell the difference.  Aye puchased the i5 13 inch display with 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB HD, which Aye have connected to me USB 2 and firewaire 800 external HDs.  So far Aye have not had any problems with latency issues, but Aye not be through programming stuff yet.  An SSD should be 256 GB or higher and be SATA 3 or higher.  Lacie is coming out with a Thunderport HD this summer. Pricing is expected to be approximately $200.00 for a 1TB external.  A 256 SSD with 8GB RAM and a 1-3 TB thunderport external HD would absotively scream.  By Neptune's Trident, Aye would love to do something like that, but Aye must upgrade me Jolly Roger Zendrum first.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:32:51 am »

Thanks Pyrate for your insight. I am getting closer to pulling the plug. whoops I guess that is the one phrase I should not have use to a a fellow ship owner. ;) Anyway since you are going down  sorry "whoops not another one" this path before me I may lean on you for some advice in the near future. That is one thing great about the tribe is all the help you can get if you ask. Thumper
Thumper

Tom Roady

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:09:36 pm »

I just got my issue yesterday....going to definitely read it...it will be a while before I can swing getting it...just had to upgrade everything with the new iMac..Auto-Tune 7 and 5 for the old 4 sessions on hard drives...its always sumthin' boys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up