Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pyrate Acquires A Macbook Pro  (Read 1699 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Pyrate Acquires A Macbook Pro
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Today this Olde Salt acquired a brand new Macbook Pro with an Intel I5 CPU, 13.3 inch display and 4 Gb of RAM which Aye will eventually upgrade to 8 Gb of RAM.  Never having owned a Mac before, Aye be sure that Aye will have plenty of questions.  Hopefully ye Mac savvy shipmates will be of assistance to the Olde Pyrate.

Thank Neptune for military discounts and the fine State of Delaware for a lack of sales tax.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Pyrate Acquires A Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

Congrats on the MacBook Pro!!!  I just upgraded to 8 GB of RAM, it is worth it.  I didn't think I would like using my MacBook, mainly because it was totally different from the windows platform I have been usin forever.  I have found that lately I am using my MacBook more and more.  It is quick to load, and not a lot of junk programs running in the background taking up memory.  Are you going to be running BFD on it or something else?  I just loaded Office for Mac on mine because I do a lot of charts and lyrics and the Mac version of Excel (it's called Numbers) is really different so as you stated, thanks to the military, I was able to get a full copy of Office for $10.00, can't beat that.

There are a few MacBook users on the forum, The Mayor and myself for sure.  I will help you as best that I can, I am still learning as well, but so far, my system has worked great.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »

You will really like the Mac once you get used to it. I have been a mac user since day one and its a lot easier to use. One thing you will find out is if you do not use a mouse and use the trackpad you can still rt click by holding down the ctrl button when you click then another window will open. Some of the music software will use this to open menu's. Hope this helps a little. Thumper
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Thanks for the tips.  So far Aye have managed to get me wireless keyboard and trackball (mice are for cats), working with the new MAcbook Pro.  Aye also managed to get flashplayer to work so Aye can view Pocketmasters youtube videos (methinks the next step is either the FC300 or Ableton, if Aye can get a good deal).

The fine folks at the apple store in Neewrak, DE want to see a demo of the Zendrum when Aye get this thing up and running. 

Aye plan to load BFD2 and EZDrummer along with all the expansion packs (vsts are located on external drives) as soon as Aye contact Fxpansion and Toontrack to find out how to go about installing them on a Mac without violating my licenses and also to remove them from me old computer, which now goes to me First Mate and Admiral.  She wants me to hurry up and learn this stuff so she can start playing with her new toy.

Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »

I know that toontrack lets you have 4 authorizations with their software.  You can only have 2 active but you can have a total of 4.  All you have to do is remove an authorization on the website and then add a new one, it will ask for the computer name and give you a new code to input into your authorization window on the computer you have loaded it on, and then you are good to go.  You can still use the software even if you remove the authorization for that computer, once it is authorized.  If you ever needed to reload it on the same computer, you will need to put that computer back into the "active" status to authorize it again.  I don't know about BFD though, The Wizard would be the one to ask about that.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

Three for BFD2.  If you need more you just contact support via email and tell the why.  To remove from your old PC, just unistall. 

Congrats Pyrate.  Pretty soon you'll be in the league of metal ship!
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

JustDave

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

how long did it take you guys to download superior 2 from the toontrack site? It is showing me 2 1/2 hours...is this right?
and congrats on your macbook Pyrate! I just recently got one and I ain't a going back:)

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »

I really depends on your bandwidth.  It could take an hour to five hours depending on how fast your system can download.  Just FYI, found this out when Dr. Shark downloaded SD2, you will not get all of the sounds available with the download, they will send you the box with the CD's in it, and you can load the rest of the sounds when you get the CD, they give you enough to run the program and get familiar with it, but it was quick, I think Shark had it in a couple of days after he downloaded it.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Being a Macbook newbie is becoming a learning experience.  Aye loaded EZDrummer and Solo and all appeared to go well.  Authorizations were no problem.  Mapping solo to EZdrummer was okay too.  I was able to play sonds in EZdrommer/Solo by using the mouse and had no issue.  When Aye hooked up the Jolly Roger Zendrum, the problems began.  Aye made certain that EZdrummer/Solo was set to Midi channel 10.  Aye further made sure that the audio settings were for me Presonus audio interface. Aye made sure that the input was set to Midi Controller.  But when Aye plugged in the Jolly Roger ZX, no sounds at all.  Obviously Aye have made a configuration error somewhere, but by Neptune's beard Aye cannot figure out where.  Any help is appreciated.

BFD2 will be the next challenge to what is left of me brain.

Pyrate

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »

Are you seeing the individual drums light up on the screen when you hit the pad on your Zendrum?  I would change the MIDI channel from 10 to all channels.  Since you aren't playing any synth sounds (at least I don't think you are) then if shouldn't matter if you are sending channel 10 or 5 or 1.  But I have always used all channels for drums.  You need to also go into the MacBook preferences and make sure that your Presonus is set right.  Try running your audio out through your headphone jack and see if you are getting audio out from there.  If you are, then your Presonus is not set for audio out on your MacBook.  I had a similar problem with my Fast Track Pro, I was getting audio out of the headphones, but not the Fast Track Pro, I had to go in and make a change to my MacBook audio settings and then it started working.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »

Avast Thar PocketMaster,

Aye have audio out of my headphones and out of the Presonus.  Aye can get sounds using the mouse, but not the Jolly Roger Zendrum.  Aye also noticed that when Aye go to save my work to the external hard drive (the same hard drive that Aye had on me old Windows laptop) the files could not be created, so nothing would save.  Blast it all.

Pyrate

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »

It is possible that the hard drive in question is in a format that can be read but not written to with the Mac OS.  I ran into that problem with a 1TB drive, I ran it on my PC Laptop first and then plugged it into my MacBook Pro, and I could see and read the files but could not write to the drive.  Luckily, it was a new drive and I just reformatted it, plugged it into the MacBook Pro first, and then into the PC Laptop and now it works on both, my recommendation, save everything on the external drive to a different drive, reformat the external, plug it into the MacBook Pro, and then copy everything back to the external.  You should be able to save the files to the drive then.  As for your Jolly Roger, check and see if the drum lights up when you hit the pad that should trigger it, if it doesn't, then EZDrummer is not receiving the MIDI signal.  You may have to go into your preferences for EZDrummer and see what your MIDI input is set to.  It very well may say no MIDI input device selected.  I am not familiar with the Presonus so I can't be much help with that, but if you are getting sound out, it should be hooked up correctly.  This may sound dumb, but check to make sure you are plugged into the MIDI in and not the MIDI out, I have done that by mistake.  Maybe we can Skype later tonight and try to work it out.  My Skype address is pocketmaster6287, maybe we can work this out.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:49 PM »

Avast Thar Pocketmaster,

Skype!!!!!!  Arrrrgghhhhh, yet another piece of software for me addled brain to learn.  Aye do not have Skype, Aye'm afraid, so we will have to figure another  method.  Methinks Aye will have to acquire a new external hard drive to connect to the Mac.  Blast this keeps getting more and more expensive.l

Pyrate

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

So the Olde Pyrate took his Macbook Pro, Jolly Roger ZX, Motu Fastlane, external HD and associated cables and power supplies to the local Apple store and said in me most intimidating, Pyratical, "HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!"   We setup the rig, loaded garageband and EZDrummer and lo and behold, sound came out where there was no sound before.  Truly an amazing thing.  Now Aye need to reload me BFD2 programs and see if Aye can get them to work as well.  Methinks me original problem was the Solo host program that comes with EZDrummer was not communicating with me Presonus auudio interface.  Huzzah to the folks at Apple for helping me, and to the fine tribe members here that offered their sage advice to the software newbie.

Today, the Macbookpro....Tomorrow, the World!!!!!

Pyrate

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »

Hey Pyrate,
Did you threaten to "run them through" or what?
Apple does have great tech support, though.
It's amazing how much those guys really DO know about their machines.
Next comes getting everything ready to rock and simple to transport.
Velcro, wireties and spiral wrap, gorilla tape, hotglue organization goes a long way towards making it easy to deal with instead of a pile of stuff to plug in (and pack) every time. Now that you've got it going- and after you have some fun playing- make it streamlined. That will keep your Zendrum rig so simple and most impressive.
You already know this drill, but shout for roadie help if you need it.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up