Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FC-300, Z4, and Ableton Live  (Read 2852 times)

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
FC-300, Z4, and Ableton Live
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

Hey Tribe,

I have been asked several times for a setup diagram of my setup using my FC-300 foot controller.  I just uploaded a video that shows how I am using it with my setup.  I am using my Z4, Ableton Live 8 (which I am controlling using my FC-300), Superior Drummer 2.0 as a VST in Ableton Live, and all of that running off of my MacBook Pro with 8 GB of RAM.  The Audio is not as good as it could be (because of the camera I am using), but you get the idea.  I show my basic pad layout, how I am using the MIDI channel per trigger function on the Z4, and how I switch to different kits.  Let me know if there are any questions or something that I can go more in depth with.  I was limited to 10 minutes or less for youtube, but can make smaller segments going in more detail if need be.

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbf-8birQOA
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: FC-300, Z4, and Ableton Live
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »

Thank Rob. Very good information for us Zendrummers. Now I have to woodshed even more so I don't get left behind. I have been wanting to incorporate 3 seperate keyboard chords layered on my high hat but have not put the time into it to make it happen. If you can imagine it, it can be done Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »

If you have 3 separate tracks armed in Ableton, you should be able to allow all MIDI channels to those tracks and it will play all three tracks, the trick is getting the MIDI note number to play the notes you want played in that track.  Like MIDI note 67 may be a C on the keyboard, that would mean it would be C for a trumpet or horn as well.  If you wanted to play a chord, I am not sure you can do it with one trigger unless you do a crossfade on the Zendrum, just food for thought on that.  I can play chords by programming certain pads so I just hit pads right next to each other and I have a chord.  I am going to play with it some more in the months to come and let you know what I find out, you do the same if you get to it before me.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:18:34 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

An excellent video shipmate.  However, Aye still be confused as to how it is all wired together.  Aye didn't see any wires from the FC-300, nor did Aye see how it all be connected to the Macbook Pro.  A wiring diagram would be most helpful.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »

Hey Pyrate,

In the video, I didn't have any cables connected when I showed my foot hitting the pedal, I was just shooting the video separate to demonstrate my foot hitting the pedal.

The hookup is very simple.  I am using (2) Uno MIDI to USB cables.  The first cable hooks the MIDI out from the MIDIJet Pro Wireless receiver to the first USB connector on my MacBook Pro.  The second cable hooks the MIDI out from the FC-300 to the second USB connector on my MacBook Pro.  Then I am done.  The software automatically sees the Uno's as a MIDI input, if it doesn't, then you just need to go into your computer or software preferences and select the UNO's as a MIDI input.  My audio out from the MacBook Pro is just the headphones out jack going into the sound board.

Where it gets complicated is actually setting up the FC-300 and mapping the pedals to the functions that you want.  Ableton Live so far seems to be the easiest way for me, there is a MIDI assignment function that allows you to select the function you want controlled by the FC, highlight it, and then push the pedal you want to control it.  The software automatically assigns that pedal to that function, and you done.  I am planning on making a video of how to do that, maybe this weekend.

I have posted some pics to show how my setup is wired.

Hope this helps.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:59:46 AM by Pocket Master »

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

It only let me put 2 pics up, here are the others.

Rob

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »

Here is another video showing how I am integrating my FC-300 with Ableton and showing how quick I can change from kit to kit using the FC-300.

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6o6fhOrTq0

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »

Avast Thar Pocketmaster,

The photos and the second video be outstanding.  BZ to ye.  Now Aye have to make some very hard decisions as to what to spend me pyrate booty on.  But Aye dfefinitely think an FC 300 is in the future along with the Z4.  One question still plagues me.  Given that the Z4 requires that extra button push to change programs, do ye still have that issue with yer setup?  It didnj't seem that way to me, but Aye could be wrong.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

No I do not, I am not switching anything on the Zendrum, at least not as much as I was.  I am using the same program (I use #6), my kick is always MIDI note 36 and my snare is always MIDI note 38.  I try to stick with the general MIDI mapping so it is universal.  I make all of my rides the same number as well as the crash cymbals and so on.  What I am switching with my FC is the track in Ableton.  Each track has a different kit loaded into it, and I have 8 GB of RAM, Ableton takes up 1.75 GB to run, the OS takes about 250 MB, so that leaves me about 6 GB to load kits.  My SD2 kits take up about 1.5 GB when I load all the articulations, so I am limited to about 4 kits per session in Ableton.  The EZdrummer stuff takes up far less because there are fewer articulations, so I can load all the EZX's into Ableton with no problem.

My ZX stays on #6 and the tracks are changed in Ableton by the FC.  The only exceptions are for that Black Eyed Pea song I mentioned in the video, I use program #9 for that, because I had to split the MIDI channels for stings and drums, I mentioned it in the video that track 1 was strings on channel 1 and track 2 was drums on channel 10.  If there is a song that I need to change some mappings I will use a different setup on the ZX, but for the most part, I am on #6.

Rob

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »

Pyrate I have been changing my drumsets with the Z4 and the extra button push between songs using the TD-20. I thought it was a big deal to do it but it turns out that it is  easily done between songs for me. It is the same when I change a user setup it does not take very much time at all. I am wireless and I do not use any high hat or bass pedal with my setup so changing drumsets with the Zendrum controls works in my instance. I am intrigued about the Foot controller that Pocket Master uses. Keep that information coming. Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18:23 PM »

Thumper,

I am going to do another video this weekend specifically regarding tracks 1 and 2 that I briefly mentioned in my last video.  With those 2 tracks, I have track 1 set for MIDI channel 1 and track 2 set for MIDI channel 10.  This allows me to setup my Z4 to utilize the MIDI channel per trigger function.  I set up 3 triggers on my Z4 to channel 1, and set notes that I needed to those 3 triggers which would trigger the strings on track 1 only, the rest of my Z4 is set to channel 10, allowing my drums to trigger only on track 2.  I set pedal 5 on my FC-300 for sustain so when I hit the strings, it holds the note until I release the pedal.  You can also set the pedal to latch, meaning you hit it and release, but it holds the sustain without you having to leave your foot on the pedal, it won't release until you hit it again.  I should have something up by Sunday night.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up