Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasonably Priced Sound Module?  (Read 2124 times)

Michael8773

Reasonably Priced Sound Module?
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a Zendrum.  I love it!  It is art, beauty, tribal rhythm possibilities all rolled into one.  I have been involved in electronic drums since the beginning: Synare Star Synthesizer (that was the first drum synth) then on to Simmons and here I am now with my ZenDrum.

I am trying to use my ddrum 4se sound module but finding it kludgey.  Can anyone please recommend a reasonably priced sound module that sounds good yet is easy to interface with the ZD?  If I could find one under $500 that would be ideal (is that too naive?).  It needs to be geared toward live not studio so I'd like to avoid bringing a PC\Laptop.

I figure I can upgrade to a gazillion dollar module down the road.  I just want to dig in and learn this instrument in a practical way at this point.

What can you recommend?

Thanks all!

Michael
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:39:25 PM by Michael8773 »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Reasonably Priced Sound Module?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »

If you can spend a little bit more then the Alesis DM-10 (module only) can be found for about $600.  It's their latest and greatest, nearly on par with the upper end Roland units.  It also has the ability to load external VSTs.

Other than that though, to stick below $500 you're probably looking at a low-end Roland module, or eBay.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Many of us here Zendrummers use a Roland TD-10 or TD-20.  Some use a venerable Alesis DM-Pro which can be had on ebay for around $250 of yer pyrate booty!. Aye personally have used a Korg Triton rackmount module that also can be had on eBay for less than $500.  Aye hope this helps ye!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »

I started with an Roland SPD-20. It was fairly easy to use with the Zendrum. Whatever you do buy be aware that there is a learning curve with any of them so do not get frustrated. Ask questions here on the forum, chances are someone has already been there and can help. Congratulations on starting your new journey! Thumper
Thumper

Michael8773

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »

Thanks all for the advice so far.  Thanks also for welcoming me to the tribe!

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:38 AM »

I got a ZX recently as well and found a used Alesis D4 drum module at Guitar Center for $70.00.

If you're just planning on upgrading later, this might be the way to go. You can still find em on Ebay. They don't sound the greatest but I find it awesome to learn on. Once you're ready to record or play live, you can worry about getting something that sounds nicer then.

duojet

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »

here is something interesting.

http://www.alesis.com/iodock

this is $199 + $399 (new price for IPAD 1) = $598. Garage band is $4.99 and contains a drum kit. not sure how good it is but it may be better than standard.

Not bad, plus you get an ipad, and developer support is great. you are likely to see more virtual drums for garage band soon.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:49:41 PM »

Now that is very interesting.  Will have to keep an eye on this one :)
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

Avast Thar Duojet,

Aye just looked at the link ye provided. This be very interesting along with another app called "LOGMEIN" which allows the iPad to act as a remote monitor/keyboard/mouse for a PC or MAC (Aye be thinkin the new Zendrumdrive.  However, how be it that you know that the price for this fine device is $199?  Aye could not find any pricing information.

Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »

Insider trading.....This Alesis looks pretty cool, an all in one type thing.  The GarageBand kits are cool, but there are not as many articulations to choose from like in BFD and SD2.  I have played some of the kits in GarageBand as a backup in the event SD2 were to crap out on me, and they will get you through the gig, but for a more realistic sound, you need to go with a dedicated percussion software like the Zendrum Drive or BFD or SD2.  Just my opinion.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

duojet

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:22:32 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

It seems this interesting device only works with iPad 1, and be not compatible with iPad 2. Aye wonder if Alesis is going to make a version for the iPad 2?

Pyrate

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »

I am sure there will be a patch or something for it.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »

It would be cool to use your Ipad as a mixer for your different sounds. I find myself boosting my snare,bass drum,high hat and cymbals on certain songs with my TD-20. It would be nice to do that in the  software realm.  I am going to try and hook up to BFD2 today and see what happens. It IS and adventure Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »

It would be cool to be able to control the mixer in SD2 with my FC-300, unfortunately, it does not accept MIDI CC's for that function.  If I loaded each kit piece into ableton live, Kick in channel 1, snare channel 2, and so on, but load in each kit piece one at a time, you could control the volume of each drum.....I didn't think about doing that until posting this, I am going to have to try that.  hummmmm.....

Thanks Thumper,

Rob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up