Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MB Pro a new beginning  (Read 1165 times)

JustDave

MB Pro a new beginning
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

My wife surprised me with a MB pro for my bday. She has no idea what's she's done. Of course I checked out garageband right away and starting looking for software. I went down to GC and they sold me a little maudio so I could hook my Zen up to the computer. It has a midi out and in and a usb.  I used one of the midis coming out of the mergebrick, but the other has no home.  I was able to play the drums on garageband, but really nothing else. Is there a better way to hook this up? I have been using a TD10 for years. Just looking to step forward (better later than never:)

I know this has probably been discussed but my brain is easily distracted.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:41:59 AM by JustDave »

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: MB Pro a new beginning
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »

It sounds like you're hooking it up correctly if you are able to play GarageBand.
The next step would be to get either Toontrack EZ Drummer or BFD ECO software for some better drum samples.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »

Hey JustDave,

I have been using my MacBook Pro for about a year now, I am using ToonTracks Superior Drummer 2.0 (SD2), it is EZDrummer on steroids.  The GarageBand (GB) kits are cool, but the articulations in SD2 are so realistic, the bands I play with cannot tell the difference between real acoustic drums and my software.  They have many add on kits such as percussion, electronic, metal, the list just goes on and on.  I am also using an M-Audio Uno MIDI to USB connector, actually 2 of them, one is hooked up to my ZX and the other to my Roland FC-300 MIDI foot controller.

I was using GB and loading my kits from SD2 into GB, now I am using Ableton Live and can load many kits into different tracks, and activate those tracks with my FC-300.  I can also control volumes for all kits, start and stop sequences and sound effects.  I started out using my Roland TD-6V but when I heard the sounds coming out of the toontrack software (thanks Mayor), I was sold, went out the next day, got a MacBook Pro, and SD2 with some add on kits, I have not looked back.  My sounds are so realistic and I recently upgraded my ZX to the new chip, added some triggers and got the internal wireless, now my playing sounds just like the real thing.  Do your research on the software and get what works for you.  I didn't have to do much to tweak the sounds in SD2, the sounds are great right out of the box.  Dr. Shark can attest to that.

Hope this helps,

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »

Avast Thar Pocket Master,

Ye need to provide us poor doomed souls with a diagram of how your rig is setup.  Aye still be interested in using a FC 300.

Fair inds and following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »

Before you rush out and buy EZdrummer, take a good look at BFDeco. I have done a head-to-head comparison for the next edition of digitalDrummer which gives eco a slight edge based on:
1) its price - slightly cheaper
2) its tweakability - much more than EZ
3) the ability to edit the MIDI map, which is especially useful with a Zendrum - with articulation, etc.
Where EZdrummer probably has an advantage is in the area of sounds - especially with the expansion packs like the new Classics pack.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 06:02:06 AM »

BFD2 ROCKS!!
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

JustDave

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »

Wow! Thanks so much for the replies everyone. This helps a ton! And thanks Pocketmaster. My guitarist mentioned Abelton Live, so I have to look into that as well. Good to know I'm at least headed in the right direction.

My wife may not see me for a while:)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »

I need to get started in the right direction also.Thumper       Very Soon
Thumper

JustDave

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »

I just got SD2 up and running with my Zen and WOW!!!!! These drums are awesome! I am using through Solo. Now I want BFD, Ableton.....the list will go on:)

Having a little bit of a latency problem. Is there a fix for this?

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »

I love SD2, the articulations are awesome.  Did you get any add on kits, or just the Avatar kit that came with SD2.  I had a problem using SOLO, it caused SD2 to not see my MIDI, at all.  I started using SD2 as a VST in GarageBand, but now that I am using Ableton Live and can control more functions with it over GarageBand, I don't think I will use GB unless it is a fallback in the event Ableton doesn't want to work.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

JustDave

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:54:22 PM »

I did have a problem at first, but it was with my midi install - I didn't use the install disk.....sometimes I am such an idiot! Once I got that on my mac and had it as the midi input I had no problems with Solo and SD2.  I bought a M-Audio midi and it seems to work fine.  To be honest, I don't remember installing the M-Audio disk when I used it with GB, I think I just plugged in the USB and it worked.

Again, I am going to look into the latency issue. I know there is something I can change in either the mac or the SD software, just not sure what that is. It is my understanding that Solo is there so you can use it as a controller for edrums.

Sincerely,
Stuck in the learning curve:)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

That seems to be me problem.  Solo sees me Presonus Adiobox, but will not allow me to permanently select it.  Hence no sounds.  So, until IAye can afford Ableton, Aye must figure out how to use Garageband as a host for EZDrummer. Any advice to the Olde Salty One would be appreciated.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »

Let me see if I can help you out Pyrate;

1--First open up GarageBand.
2--After it opens up, you want to open a new track, do this by going to the track menu at the top of the screen and select new track.
3--It will ask you if you want a Software, Real Instrument, or Electric Guitar track, select Software and select the Create button in the bottom right of the window.
4--Now you should see a new track load into the GarageBand window, and it should say Grand Piano.
5--Now on the right side of the window you will see a picture of the piano and just under the picture are 2 tabs, Browse and Edit, select the Edit button.
6--Now you should see an option that says Sound Generator with a picture of the piano keyboard, just to the right of that are 2 drop down menus that say Piano and Manual.
7--Select the Piano drop down and it will give you a huge list of GarageBand Modules and Audio Unit Modules, you want to look at the Audio Unit Modules.
8--You should see EZplayer and EZdrummer as a list item, (I am using Superior Drummer so that is listed for me), it should show all VST's that you have installed.
9--Select EZdrummer and the picture should change from the piano keyboard to an orange circle with some curved lines on both sides.
10--Click the picture of the circle with the lines and EZdrummer should open up for you showing your drum kit.  Now that track is set for EZdrummer.
11--Now you should be able to hit your ZX and it should sound the drums assigned to those MIDI numbers.
12--Now you can make changes to your kit when the EZdrummer window is open, you can change snare drums, MIDI note assignments and so on.

Another thing to look at if you are still not hearing any sound, at the bottom of the GarageBand window is a series of play and reverse buttons, right next to that is a blue window that shows measures and has some numbers in it, when you hit your ZX, you should see a tiny blue dot come on every time a MIDI signal is received, if you don't see it, then GB is not getting your MIDI signal.  If that is the case, it will have something to do with your MIDI to USB device, if it still happens, you may want to just go and get an UNO, they are less than $50 I think at Guitar Center, I have two that I use, and that should fix your problem for sure.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up