Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI MAPPING BFD WITH RECEPTOR FOR ZENDRUM  (Read 2430 times)

kunkyape

MIDI MAPPING BFD WITH RECEPTOR FOR ZENDRUM
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:48 PM »

Hi all

I have just got BFD this weekend after waiting a long time and I am really struggling to get the mapping sorted on the zendrum. So far I have loaded up a kit and then used the 'hit options' section.

I then used page 1 and selected a bass drum for example and then i pressed the learn function in there, selected the tab from zendrum. This selected the pad but there is no sample being played and the kick (hit) words above were highlighted in green as opposed to black. But then if I put the other bass drum note back there, where it was orignially, it would work fine!!

Could someone please talk me through how to do this step by step or even if there is a midi map for the zendrum. The manual is no help whatsoever as it is not specific for what I want to do.

I wanted to get into the whole receptor side as that is how I felt the music industry was going, but it is so un-user friendly, I may consider getting rid if I can't get my head round it soon as it is driving me insane.

Thanks for your help

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: MIDI MAPPING BFD WITH RECEPTOR FOR ZENDRUM
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 01:19:39 PM »

Avast Thar Matey,

This is a job for...........Mr. Wizard!!!!   Alas, I think he is visiting Germany this week.  But when he returns I promise to light up the Wizard Signal and he will jump to your aid.  When it comes to BFD, tere be none better than Mr. Wizard. 

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Ingo

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:27:12 PM »

Hmmm. You're talking about John? He's in Germany?

Ingo - nearly always in Germany.

Ingo

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:34:39 PM »

Ah. At his "upcoming events" section he wrote that he will be at the music fair in Frankfurt, Gemany. That is march 28-31. Hmmm. Maybe that's the perfect time to start a get together in Germany!

Ingo - could find a location in Frankfurt.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 08:14:42 PM »

Hi all

I have just got BFD this weekend after waiting a long time and I am really struggling to get the mapping sorted on the zendrum. So far I have loaded up a kit and then used the 'hit options' section.

I then used page 1 and selected a bass drum for example and then i pressed the learn function in there, selected the tab from zendrum. This selected the pad but there is no sample being played and the kick (hit) words above were highlighted in green as opposed to black. But then if I put the other bass drum note back there, where it was orignially, it would work fine!!

It sounds like you did it correct.  Not every sound is going to have the exact hit articulations listed on that panel.  For instance, not every bass drum was recorded without the snare.  In that case, BFD will redirect the MIDI note to the sound that makes sense.  In that case, it will play the Bass drum with the snare.  This is also for example the way that I, as a sound designer can offer brush kits and percussion instruments that play within BFD.

Could someone please talk me through how to do this step by step or even if there is a midi map for the zendrum. The manual is no help whatsoever as it is not specific for what I want to do.

On the MIDI hit options page, you will see a learn button for each articulation.  Hit the learn button, and hit the trigger on the Zendrum.  BFD will learn it for you.  When you have your map put together, you will want to fill in all of the blank articulations with MIDI note number information.  This will enable you to do layering!  Once you have everything filled in you save your note map with a name of your choice!  DONE.

With Receptor, you need to save your patches in two locations.  Save your set in the BFD user section and save the patch with the same name in Receptor's mix page.

I wanted to get into the whole receptor side as that is how I felt the music industry was going, but it is so un-user friendly, I may consider getting rid if I can't get my head round it soon as it is driving me insane.

Thanks for your help

Stick with it!  This style of drumming (using VSTs) is the way that edrumming is going.

I will be in Germany just long enough for Musikmesse.  As I understand it, there are tickets available for the show.  I will post the location as soon as I get it.  I would like to extend an invitation to anyone in Germany to swing by and say hello.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

kunkyape

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »

John, thanks for the advice, however I am sat here now trying to fathom the whole thing out!!

I am in the hit screen, I am using the learn button and the text above the relevant drum part is highlighted in black eg - Kick 1 (hit) When I hit my desired pad it the text turns green and does not play the sample. I then did a learn on the bass drum note above - Kick 2 (No Snare) and this also turned green. I then did a learn on the (no snare) and then the text below it Kick 1 (hit) turned blue but still wouldnt work on the pad i wanted to use. I then tried using other pads on the zendrum and some of them worked on the zendrum and some didnt. So I do not have a clue why that would be??

The ones that worked showed up as black and the ones that didnt were all highlighted in green so it seems as if some of the pads on the zendrum work when I use the learn function and some others dont. Is this down to the midi CC's or something????

If you could shed some light on this I would appreciate it!!

Thanks

kunkyape

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 03:27:49 PM »

Right, I have jsut been tinkering and then went into the advanced screen. I was then playing the zendrum pads at random and the note then jumps to the relevant pad im hitting. What I found is the notes i want to learn are set as GRV (grooves, Bank a) and the pads I am having no problems with (all be it they are not in the right poistion where I want them to be on the zendrum) are all highlighted as an actual 'hit' style. The problem is that on the advanced screen I am not able to change the GRV to a Hit to enable me to play the sample. Because the hit style says bank a or bank b, instead of saying 'hit'.

Hopefully this makes sense and would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Jack

kunkyape

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »

Ok, panic over!!! I have now officially answered my own thread!!! ;D

I had the settings set to - respond to groove notes, I have taken this off and hey presto I am able to map anything I want!!!!

I can now go to sleep well chuffed and ready to build a kit tomorrow after work!!  :)

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:57:51 PM »

So many options, so little patience!

You are correct.  Keep the "responds to groove notes" off. 

For live playing, I suggest the following:

1. Put it in 16 bit mode
2. Turn off all of the animation features.  (They just eat up CPU power)
3. When using the Receptor, play with the unit on the Mixer page.  (Again, it saves CPU power)
4.  Save everything in both the BFD GUI and the mix page.  (Receptor will be happy and you will always get your patch back.)

Also worth noting, if you change patches and you have a kit piece that does not change, it will play the one from the previous patch.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up