Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zendrum with Electronic Music  (Read 945 times)

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Zendrum with Electronic Music
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »

Hey everybody,
I've taken the plunge and have ordered a ZX. :)

I wanted to get the opinions of some of you out there who have played more or are more familiar with the electronica genres of music. I'm involved in the futurepop, synthpop, and EBM music scenes (some examples of similar-sounding bands would be VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Apoptygma Berzerk, Neuroticfish, and Seabound).

I'll be playing my Zendrum primarily through a laptop with Battery 3 and Native Instruments Komplete, which from what I've seen has a great range of drum samples to use. However, I've seen enough laptop and hardware failures on stage and just before shows to know that a backup is ALWAYS advisable.

So, for those of you who know this style of music, what standalone drum modules would you recommend that have excellent realism and broad dynamic in their samples, that also offer some more electronic-sounding drum sounds?

Thanks for your advice on this!
-Mike

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Zendrum with Electronic Music
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »

I own a Roland TD-6V, and it has great sounds, but I have heard the Roland TD-10 and TD-20 which are much better than the TD-6V, but they are also more expensive.  I guess it depends on your budget.  I own a MacBook Pro and have been using it for a year now and have not (knock on wood) had a failure yet.  I did have an issue with my standalone program "Solo" or Superior Drummer 2.0, but was able to load SD2 into GarageBand (which comes with the Mac) and eliminate the use of "Solo" all together.  I still have my TD-6V at the ready but have yet to need it.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »

You could also look at multipads like Roland's SPD-30 or SPD-S (which has sampling) or Yamaha's DTXM-12 (which was reviewed in digitalDrummer). These have built-in sounds, the ability to import samples (two of the models) and also have trigger pads, should you need extra playing surfaces.
And then, of course, there's the Zendrumdrive we've been hearing about here.

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I should be making use of this majestic library of samples, but the idea of a really simplistic setup is very attractive to me. After dropping a big hunk of money on the ZX, though, budget for a standalone drum machine is a bit distant. ;) I'll keep these in mind.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »

If you're looking at electronica or loop-based music, the most recent vintage of standalone modules may or may not be the right choice.  When dealing with sounds that were never meant to be generated acoustically, why go for the box that offers the most acoustic-sounding samples?

Also, don't be afraid to modify sounds that are on the boxes already.  Remember that a lot of breakbeats are old funk loops that were just sped up a bunch; take a few "regular" sounds, screw with the pitches and filters and see what you get!  I did that for a techno patch in my rig and was quite pleased with the results.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »

Thanks for the advice Jaay. It really comes down to, if I'm going to spend a lot on a drum module, I don't want to limit what I have access to. Cobalt Core (the main group I'll be playing with) has some really ethnic sounds involved in it and not everything is going to be electronic sounding. On the other hand, my personal futurepop project, The Walls Collapse, has a much more electronic style.

What about post processing of the drum sounds? What do people usually do to get that deep, booming kick drum that you might hear in a techno song?

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »

I am using Superior Drummer 2.0 and I have the electronic kit add on, got it for $40 during one of the many sales they have at toontrack.  I like the old TR-808 kick, that is the kick that was used back in the 80's for the techno stuff.  You can go to toontrack.com and there are samples of all of the kits that you can listen to.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: [1]   Go Up