Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible new features  (Read 4094 times)

wb_drumz

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Re: Possible new features
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »

Whoah! That's really imaginative. I had spoken with Dave about Pitch bend functions on the new model. I can see where the FC-300 can be a powerful tool. I had also considered using the analog signal of a meldoic instrument through a stomp box that allows pitch bend would be a good alternative. Thanks. This is all great.

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »

As a new Zendrum player (mine is arriving in the mail tomorrow!) I am very curious about these additional features. I know you say they're esoteric, but if we don't really have access to get into or modify them anyway, why are they confidential...especially if they're functions that might be highly desired by the tribe and would increase the capabilities of our Zendrums?

I'm contemplating getting ZenEdit in the near future, and any additional features that are implemented would (obviously) help my decision. Modifiable note duration and having triggers set to CC messages are two things I could see being useful, but I'm really up for anything that broadens what I can do on the Zendrum.

nZenEar

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »

MODIFIABLE NOTE DURATION!

where do I send my money?!

This is PERFECT for playing tonal when the current "on/off" of sustain requires module level  manipulation, which I hate.

I have no problem with them all being the same cutoff for a click or such.  Its mostly for bass.  I just want more than the 'dit' of immediate off and the sustained 'thrroooooom' of leaving it open.

Here's a wacky one - can it be set that how hard you hit changes the duration?

So Geo got any idea for an actual relationship of velocity (which is detected but is currently used directly as the velocity for the note on) to duration?  Anyone else any thoughts?

nZenEar

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »

Pad controlled cc...  Hmmm.  Can they be assigned values they send?

For example - hit THIS pad to set all volume to 50%.
No, the value sent has to be the velocity.  Basically if you'd switched a pad to be a CC, the NOTE value then becomes the CC, and the velocity becomes the value.

AND - can they send signals to the Zendrum itself?
If the Zendrum had a true MIDI IN port then you could echo them back to itself, but yeah... that ain't gonna work.

I would also appreciate a feature that makes band member show up to rehearsal on time.  Will that be in a future revision?
Yeah, yeah.  Get in line.  :)

Geo/Darin.  Feel free to elaborate on the fixed value with velocity serving a different purpose or any other creative ideas along those lines.

Also I posted in some forum a request that folks give some comments on value of and features desired of MIDI in on Zendrum.  Ideas welcome.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 05:10:10 AM »

It would be cool if the MIDI in were able to receive program changes so I could use my FC-300 foot controller to change from kit 1 to 16 or 7 or 10.  I don't think the Zendrum is wired that way though.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

nZenEar

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »

It would be cool if the MIDI in were able to receive program changes so I could use my FC-300 foot controller to change from kit 1 to 16 or 7 or 10.  I don't think the Zendrum is wired that way though.

Rob

That would be quite possible but by itself wouldn't warrant an upgrade.  More thoughts?  Anyone else?

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye think Aye will enter this fray.  Aye agree with the Pocket Master.  Being able to change programs on the fly to support different kits would be a major engancement.  For example, if Aye was to play a jazz set that started with brushes and then wanted to quickly switch to sticks, having a pedal that would allow me to do that would be all Neptunes rage!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

nZenEar

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye think Aye will enter this fray.  Aye agree with the Pocket Master.  Being able to change programs on the fly to support different kits would be a major engancement.  For example, if Aye was to play a jazz set that started with brushes and then wanted to quickly switch to sticks, having a pedal that would allow me to do that would be all Neptunes rage!

Pyrate

Keep it going. Enough excitement on this or other MIDI in ideas might just be enough to make it happen!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »

The only problem with doing the MIDI in, is that you would either have to have a cable to the MIDI in which would eliminate you being wireless, or have to purchase a second wireless MIDI unit for the MIDI in, but it would be the receiver unit instead of the transmitter.  The transmitter would be at the FC-300.  I don't think there is enough room inside the ZX to fit 2 wireless MIDI cards, if there was, it would be very crowded in there.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

nZenEar

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »

The only problem with doing the MIDI in, is that you would either have to have a cable to the MIDI in which would eliminate you being wireless, or have to purchase a second wireless MIDI unit for the MIDI in, but it would be the receiver unit instead of the transmitter.  The transmitter would be at the FC-300.  I don't think there is enough room inside the ZX to fit 2 wireless MIDI cards, if there was, it would be very crowded in there.

Rob

Perhaps but that doesn't eliminate the usefulness of MIDI in and there is always the possibility of a single bi-directional radio link

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »

As a new Zendrum player (mine is arriving in the mail tomorrow!) I am very curious about these additional features. I know you say they're esoteric, but if we don't really have access to get into or modify them anyway, why are they confidential...especially if they're functions that might be highly desired by the tribe and would increase the capabilities of our Zendrums?

I'm contemplating getting ZenEdit in the near future, and any additional features that are implemented would (obviously) help my decision. Modifiable note duration and having triggers set to CC messages are two things I could see being useful, but I'm really up for anything that broadens what I can do on the Zendrum.

No elaboration on these additional features, or if they'll even be implemented?

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

Well, since we don't know what these "hidden" features are and no information is forthcoming, at this time I can't justify paying $100 for a simple configuration program. Particularly if free upgrades are limited to point releases. That's a substantial amount of money when there are other MIDI controllers out there whose user bases are creating similar tools for free. (See the Behringer FCB1010 and the programs available for it.)

I see the benefit in this program to those with deeper wallets, but the price point just isn't worth the feature set to someone like me who operates on a budget. I'll keep an eye on ZenEdit and re-evaluate if the program opens up more features or includes more than just point releases.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »

Developing ZenEdit has of course been a costly and time-consuming endeavor, and largely a labor of love.  I believe I have set a price point that is quite fair.  By no means do I plan to get rich doing this, heck, I'll be lucky if I'm able to just break even -- however I do need to cover my costs, both for the initial development time and for the ongoing technical support, which I provide free of charge for the lifetime of the product.

You refer to ZenEdit as "a simple configuration editor" -- that does it and myself a great disservice.  If that was all it was going to be, then I would not have even built in the first place.  Its main purpose right from the start was to enhance existing Zendrum features and to expose any "hidden" ones.  Among these features are:
 - The ability to select specific notes for crossfades.
 - The ability to alter the crossfade points.
 - The ability to alter the response curve, noise floor and ceiling for each trigger independently.

Additionally ZenEdit makes editing the out-of-box Zendrum features easier, by providing note mappings for all popular modules and VSTs.  It also offers a far more convenient way for melodic players to setup their Zendrum and provides features such as group trigger transposing.  Additionally it aids in organizing your setups by allowing for annotations, color coding, enhanced setup copying, printing, reporting and sharing.  All in all, ZenEdit is far more than just "a simple configuration editor".

Regarding the point release policy, while I haven't made any official announcements yet and am waiting until 2.0 is closer to beta, what's more than likely going to happen is that we will be switching to a "lifetime license" policy, and all existing 1.0 customers will simply be grand-fathered into it.  The reason being, that barring the development of a 5.x Zendrum, I don't foresee there being a need for another major release -- only maintenance ones and the occasional new feature.  Version 2.0 of ZenEdit is adding ALL the available "hidden" Zendrum features and so that well is going to run dry, without any further major releases.

The primary features planned for 2.0 are:
 - Ability to set note duration.
 - Ability to interchange triggers and CCs.
 - Ability to set the polarity (invert) any trigger or CC.
 - Improved "visual" calibration controls for each trigger/CC.
 - Ability to rearrange the order of user setups.

Additionally, if I can get anyone to send me a 3.x defaulted sysex file, then the next version will also add support for editing 3.x Zendrums, and the ability to convert a 3.x sysex file to a Z4 one (for when 3.x Zendrummers take the plunge and upgrade to the Z4 board they can then keep their existing settings).

I hope this clears up any misconceptions.  :)
-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »

Well done Darin. Thanks for all you do for the Zendrum community.

DrShark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Shipmate DrumWagon has said it truly and plain.  And Aye personally thank him for what he has done for the Zendrum tribe.  He has developed a fine tool for our use and deserves a medal for his efforts.  Alas Aye not be in a position to give him such a spangly peice of geedunk. DrumWagon will just have to be satisfied with me everlasting gratitude!  Aye hope this be enough.

Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up