Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ANNOUNCING: ZENDRUMDRIVE  (Read 8477 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
ANNOUNCING: ZENDRUMDRIVE
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »

Here's the Official Press Release. 

Download the PDF below to get the latest info on the new self contained Zendrum VST unit.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:22:07 PM by Geosphere »
Play nice.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: ANNOUNCING: ZENDRUMDRIVE
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »

Spot on!  Kudos!
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »

Love the PDF ad!!  I have lost sleep when I got my Zendrum, I can't imagine how many more will lose sleep with both a Zendrum and the drive!!!

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

fulrmr

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »

I am very excited about this product. I emailed a few questions and got immediate response but I thought it may be more appropriate to ask the remainder of my questions here.

-about the OS....Is it 32 or 64bit and will I be able to register and update my VSTs just like on a normal pc?
-Does it have anti-virus for acessing the internet whe doing firmware updates and activations?
-I'm a bit concerned about the possible discontinued Support for the XP line from Microsoft....should I be?
-Is there a chance of future W7 OS upgrade? 
-Also the M-audio1010LT has a few other connections that are not shown on the back panel....are they still accessable and usable?
-The email I recieved from David said that all other standard pc ports were inside. I assume that means there is of course a disk drive drawer, card readers (BTW-what kind), usb ports and video outs.
-What video outputs are provided? What video card is used?
-Will it support a touch screen montior?
-Also what processor is used and what speed is it and is it dual core?
-Is it possible to have it built in a rack case with more spaces to accomondate a few other things such as my TMI, power conditioner ect.?

Thanks so much.
Daniel

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »

My thoughts on this, and with all due respect -- I don't want to sound judgmental at all, so forgive me if it reads that way.

For the types of in-depth technical concerns that you have, it is my opinion that you maybe should just be building your own system or using a laptop based one.

What David has done here is create a pre-made "black box" solution that you simply plug and play.  I would treat it as a "module" that happens to use VSTs, as that's essentially what he's created.  It's solid, reliable and you can just turn it on and immediately start rocking out, without needing to know what's inside.  Your support contact is Zendrum corp, not Microsoft, so I wouldn't worry about the OS.  Yes, XP has been end-of-lifed.  Yes, future hardware will eventually not work in XP.  But you don't need to worry about that because the ZendrumDrive is a closed system with components (both hardware and software) that are supported by the vendor (Zendrum).

Our course if you wanted to "void the warranty" and open the box it and start modifying it -- well, then that takes me back to my first thought -- you should be building your own ;)

This is more for the guys (IMHO) that don't want to mess with putting together a laptop, install software, deal with audio interfaces and ASIO drivers, etc..  and just want an off-the-shelf solution that is easy to use and sounds great with little tinkering.

ZendrumDrive -- It Just Works (and sounds awesome!)

Just my two cents.
-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

Precisely correct, Darin.
One button push toaster with no learning curve whatsoever.
Boy, it sounds good and doesn't cough in the middle of a show.
Now I can focus on playing the music, not worrying about the gear.
The perfect match for the Zendrum- AT LAST!
(it only took 20 years...)
Thank you all for your responses!
David
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:29:49 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

fulrmr

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »

My thoughts on this, and with all due respect -- I don't want to sound judgmental at all, so forgive me if it reads that way.

For the types of in-depth technical concerns that you have, it is my opinion that you maybe should just be building your own system or using a laptop based one.

What David has done here is create a pre-made "black box" solution that you simply plug and play.  I would treat it as a "module" that happens to use VSTs, as that's essentially what he's created.  It's solid, reliable and you can just turn it on and immediately start rocking out, without needing to know what's inside.  Your support contact is Zendrum corp, not Microsoft, so I wouldn't worry about the OS.  Yes, XP has been end-of-lifed.  Yes, future hardware will eventually not work in XP.  But you don't need to worry about that because the ZendrumDrive is a closed system with components (both hardware and software) that are supported by the vendor (Zendrum).

Our course if you wanted to "void the warranty" and open the box it and start modifying it -- well, then that takes me back to my first thought -- you should be building your own ;)

This is more for the guys (IMHO) that don't want to mess with putting together a laptop, install software, deal with audio interfaces and ASIO drivers, etc..  and just want an off-the-shelf solution that is easy to use and sounds great with little tinkering.

ZendrumDrive -- It Just Works (and sounds awesome!)

Just my two cents.
-darin
Precisely correct, Darin.
One button push toaster with no learning curve whatsoever.
Boy, it sounds good and doesn't cough in the middle of a show.
Now I can focus on playing the music, not worrying about the gear.
The perfect match for the Zendrum- AT LAST!
(it only took 20 years...)
Thank you all for your responses!
David

No offense taken but,That's crazy! I've been singing the praises of this thing since it's coming was announced last year. My concerns are valid. These are the same questions I ask when buying a PC/laptop ...and I have no intention of building one of those either. As far as installing software and ASIO drivers....even a computer illiterate like me can do that.

See fellas, I have already spent thousands of dollars on " the next best thing/ plug and play" gear and frankly most are not completely as great as the hype. Some come very close, and even though I don't have the skills to build something such as this, I still have a good Idea about its capability and how it will perform by the specs it boasts. Those things alone sometimes persuade my purchase.

By "cracking this open" Are you saying that if I want to run something other than the VSTs you provide...it will void the warranty? I'm not quite sure I understand. That doesn't sound prudent. You don't mention a disk drive...so how am I to load say, Superior 2.0 and validate my software if I don't open this thing up? And concerns of viruses on the internet are valid also. I just want to know how my investment will be protected when I do these things.

I like the product, however more info will be needed to be put forth for most of the demographic I come from.(edrummers). I bet there will be more than one customer out there besides me who will want to know the same things I've asked. Even the least tech savvy customers will  most likely not just take your word for it. Most will want hard facts and viable spec sheets. Mainly because they have been trained to look at these things over the years because they really have no other idea how such technology works.

Maybe I was mistaken. I had no idea this was just something to compliment the Zendrum. Thought It would be a great tool for the edrummer as well.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:06:22 PM »

It's cool, Just haven't had time to quote technical numbers and other stuff that doesn't really apply to the practical aim of this device.
Will try to work on that over this weekend.
BTW- Thank you for singing our praises!

What we CAN warranty is the software we install and the hardware we used and the one button push boot-up to play our sounds. If you want to use a keyboard, monitor, and mouse you will have to open the rear vent panel to access the connections inside. That's okay, too. Once you change the software, the one button push simplicity factor goes away. If you want to install other software you will need to use an external DVD drive to load disks. If you want to connect to the internet you will have to be responsible for whatever evil comes through the connection. If you want to protect yourself, you should consider adding antivirus software. Let's be clear. It is a PC with all the available ports. I have expert PC technicians ready to do tech support either by phone or remotely run your system to diagnose problems, but my experience is that there's no end to what someone will attempt to download on a computer and we can't be responsible for ANY OF THAT. That is where our liability will end and you own a hotrod PC that you can turn into a Dolby 7 home theatre.
I think that's more than fair.
As far as anyone "taking my word for anything", you don't know me and I understand your concerns.
This is a small company that has made hand-built custom musical instruments with my personal lifetime warranty for over 16 years. Once you do get to know all of us on this forum you'll "get it" what we're all about.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:12:56 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

fulrmr

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »

It's cool, Just haven't had time to quote technical numbers and other stuff that doesn't really apply to the practical aim of this device.
Will try to work on that over this weekend.
BTW- Thank you for singing our praises!

What we CAN warranty is the software we install and the hardware we used and the one button push boot-up to play our sounds. If you want to use a keyboard, monitor, and mouse you will have to open the rear vent panel to access the connections inside. That's okay, too. Once you change the software, the one button push simplicity factor goes away. If you want to install other software you will need to use an external DVD drive to load disks. If you want to connect to the internet you will have to be responsible for whatever evil comes through the connection. If you want to protect yourself, you should consider adding antivirus software. Let's be clear. It is a PC with all the available ports. I have expert PC technicians ready to do tech support either by phone or remotely run your system to diagnose problems, but my experience is that there's no end to what someone will attempt to download on a computer and we can't be responsible for ANY OF THAT. That is where our liability will end and you own a hotrod PC that you can turn into a Dolby 7 home theatre.
I think that's more than fair.
As far as anyone "taking my word for anything", you don't know me and I understand your concerns.
This is a small company that has made hand-built custom musical instruments with my personal lifetime warranty for over 16 years. Once you do get to know all of us on this forum you'll "get it" what we're all about.
I get it man.  ;)The info was on the spot.  Thank you. You have to understand where I come from too. Edrummers are looking for the "all in one" box for VSTs too. Receptor and V-Machine/V-Rack are the closest thing I've seen but they run Linex. Your's sounded like it might fit the bill better. And I suppose if they like the sounds of the Zendrum the "one button push and play" feature  will def be for them. BTW...I've heard nothing but great things about the Zendrum gear. I think your reputation is what gave alot of us hope that this was what we were looking for. Maybe in the next incarnation, after this one starts paying the bills for you, it would be really cool if you could address some specific issues we "module mongers" desire. ;) Specifially the the built-in hardware like a dvd drive and extra internal storage seperate from the SSD with the OS or a Much larger SSD. Popular drum VST libraries are humongous! :o Maybe even an inegrated TMI with lots of inputs. Not asking for much, huh? ::)LOL! Anyway, I still think this is a great product...maybe just not set up for my applications.

I will however reserve the right to change my mind when I see the rest of the specs. ;) ;D

Thanks again.
Daniel

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye think it be tyme for the Olde Pyrate to jump into this rowe.  Aye be in the computer business of sorts.  Aye can see both sides of this discussion.  As Aye recall, Aye asked similar questions of our esteemed Inspector when I first learned of this marvelous tool.  It be me understanding that Battery is the software that is included.  Not being familiar with Battery, Aye downloaded many tutorials from the internet in order to learn the intricacies of Battery.  It appears to me befuddled and ancient brain (what few brain cells are left after me bout with Captain Morgan), that Battery is a wee bit more confusing than EZ Drummer or BFD2.  But we all have to realize that the choice of software and hardware is a personal thing, just as it is a boxed module like a Roland TD-20 or an Alesis DM-10 is.  Aye don't know with this new computer how to assign sounds to me Jolly Roger ZX without using a monitor and mouse, but Aye suppose the good Inspector would explain it to me (or one of his fine technicians). The concept of a rugged, one button, instant startup system be intriguing, and the price be reasonable when compared to the purchase of a new Macbook Pro. So let us all think reasonably and discuss matters rationally.  All parties in this matter be correct.  It be human curiosity (humans are such a pitiful specieis, and I'm glad I'm not one of THEM!), to want to know how things work.  We be thriving on specifications and information of all kind.  Aye have questions, like shipmate fulrmr, but knowing the Inspector the way Aye do, Aye trust him implicitly to provide answers to me questions.  Aye hope this helps resolve this situation.

And for shipmate Darin, Aye have not forgotten the superb effort you make to support the tribe with Zenedit.  When Aye finally get the Jolly Roger Zendrum upgraded Aye will certainly be purchasing your fine software.  And ye be correct too in that some of us have the skills to create our own computer.  But shipmate fulrmr is also right.  Why build one of our own, when someone else has already done such a fine job for us.  Duplication of effort is neither fiscally or mentally efficient.  So you both be right.  That to me olde brain is a win-win.

Fairt Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »

Hey Daniel,
We've been making Custom Shop stuff all along, and (you'll have to believe me here) most everything was from someone else's suggestion that we eventually fleshed out into a product. I've got no issue with building whatever you need as long as the price makes sense. I could pop a Zendrum board in a larger Zendrumdrive rack and give you 30 trigger inputs, 2 cc inputs, patch access to all the 1010 inputs, add drives, with Zenedit GUI etc. We ought to do that as a module project for the rest of the edrumming world to ponder. We're all getting old waiting on someone else to do this properly for us, right?
Put your thinking cap on and email me privately.
We'll build you a 3 TB 8 core VST drum module trigger interface from hell.

I just wanted to play some drums and not worry about breaking stuff all the time!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye think it be tyme for the Olde Pyrate to jump into this rowe. 

Thank you Mate!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

fulrmr

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »

Hey Daniel,
We've been making Custom Shop stuff all along, and (you'll have to believe me here) most everything was from someone else's suggestion that we eventually fleshed out into a product. I've got no issue with building whatever you need as long as the price makes sense. I could pop a Zendrum board in a larger Zendrumdrive rack and give you 30 trigger inputs, 2 cc inputs, patch access to all the 1010 inputs, add drives, with Zenedit GUI etc. We ought to do that as a module project for the rest of the edrumming world to ponder. We're all getting old waiting on someone else to do this properly for us, right?
Put your thinking cap on and email me privately.
We'll build you a 3 TB 8 core VST drum module trigger interface from hell.

I just wanted to play some drums and not worry about breaking stuff all the time!

Very cool! Will do. :)

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:38:24 PM »

Zendrum has a first-rate reputation among its customers and those who know the instrument. There's no doubting that. However, I think Daniel raises a legitimate issue, especially if the ZendrumDrive is to find its place in the broader e-drum community. For years, there have been calls for an alternative to the mainstream modules and interest in VSTs is increasing, but many are intimated by the complexity. On the surface, ZendrumDrive looks like a workable alternative for edrummers, but, of course, they're waiting for independent verification. That's why publications like digitalDrummer do independent reviews - to take some of the uncertainty out of gear purchases. I'm more than happy to put this new product through the ringer - both with a Zendrum and with an e-kit. So, as they say, watch this space...

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »

Hey Pocket,
Just to clarify what's happened since you were here-
We ran Linux for a while but it seemed too limiting for expansion and ease of use so we went back to XP which works more reliably with everybody's favorite drum software packages. We didn't want anyone to be left out because of brand loyalty, and it works with everything out there now. Just add storage until it holds whatever libary you like to run up to 3 TB.

Our TRS core note mapping was addressed from a 96 cell Battery screen perspective with round-robin voicing. You can also hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse and change whatever you want to in Battery, including using the huge number of Battery sounds instead of ours. It's pretty easy to navigate and store as the power-up default settings.

Yes, I always go for simplest OS first. I'm not worried about all you guys out there that know this stuff backwards and forwards. You'll do fine. I'm trying to "break it down for the drummer". It's the guys like me who don't want to learn any of it I'm shooting for!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:18:36 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up