Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the Path of Least Resistance seems to have a roadblock.  (Read 915 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
the Path of Least Resistance seems to have a roadblock.
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »

Greetings Tribe... here's a good one for you.

There's a band I sub in with from time to time; I've played three gigs with them.  Two out of three of them I wound up playing my Zendrum because something on my acoustics broke.  The third one I just brought the Zendrum at the start and the gig went fine!  (funny thing about that...)

I'm asked the other day if I'm available.  I'm told three things: They want the acoustics, the stage is a postage stamp, but I can set up as small as I want.

Um....

So, you're telling me that rather than free up the space, give myself as many sonic options as we want and make everyone more comfortable, you want me to cannibalize the kit I'm using, try and make more out of less, and have us do our best sardine imitation.  I'm all for overcoming challenges, but does that strike anyone else as a little counter productive?

I think I have a gig that night already (why does everyone always schedule everything on the same three nights?) but I was seriously considering just showing up with a cajon and a splash cymbal and saying "hey, you said it was a small stage and I can set up small!"

<shakes head> Oy...

I thought you'd all get a kick out of that.  Take care!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: the Path of Least Resistance seems to have a roadblock.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »

That's a perfect example of "a panel of experts".
Probably couldn't keep their own time without help, either.
I think thats what freaks people out, not having the conductor waving sticks in the air for them to follow.
It takes a few lessons to train monkeys, but it will surely make them mad when they see you get out the door first!
Keep up the good work!
"Stick it" to them, Jaay!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:54:40 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

A good pyrate always remembers the deficition of the term "Committee".  A "Committee" be a life form with 4 or more legs and no brain.  Keep this in mind and ye should have no fear of those denizens of the deep.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:55:05 PM »

I have run into this problem too.  There was a keyboard player in the band that was dead set against the Zendrum.  I told him that if he wants real drums, I want to see him lug in a "real" piano, none of that electronic crap.  The day hey brings in a piano is the day I will play my kit.  Needless to say, I didn't get the gig, oh well, there are plenty of other musicians that want me to play only my Zen.....does that mean that I suck on the drums???  I have an audition for a band that came out and heard me at an open mic night, they only want the Zen, the reason, 1) I can play it and closing your eyes you cannot tell it is not a real kit. 2) VOLUME control. 3) Compact for small tight stages.

Stay true to what you want to do, if the Zendrum is what you want to play, then stick with that.  I personally only want to play my ZX.  If a band requests for me to use my acoustics, I will just charge a little extra for the 45 minute setup time, me being put in the corner so I hit my elbows against the wall, and the 30 minute tear down time and being the last to leave with no help loading my cases into the van.  I would play for free if the music is good but when it becomes work, like setting up the kit and being stuck behind a wall of drums for the whole night, I expect to be paid.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »

I played my acoustic drums last week for the first time in quite a while. I did this because the band leader that hire me wanted "real drums" but mainly because I wanted to play them. It was MY Choice. Boy was I out of shape 4 hr gig but I had a blast!  It was fun to crash real cymbals and hit the skins again. Most of the time I play my Zendrum and really do prefer it. Smaller footprint, sound control and the coolness factor when somebody sees it for the first time. Last night a guy comes up to me after the gig to let me know how awesome my Zendrum sounded.  He was at the bar not really paying attention but listening to the music for a while when he looked up and saw NO DRUMs. He had to come up and tell me that they sounded so real that he was shocked to see what I was playing. I love my Zendrum! Thumper
Thumper

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:20:34 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys.  I knew this would give you all a chuckle.

What I find interesting (and this only occurred to me recently) is that the biggest detractors of the Zendrum are other musicians.  In my experience, the audiences love it; the sound techs *really* love it... only the other players don't.  i find that telling, but telling of what I'm not exactly sure.  I'm sure there's an element of jealousy in there, but for behavior this stubborn I think there's more to it than that. 

<shrugs> Meh; it's late, I'm tired.  I'm going to go to bed and dream of playing Madison Square Garden . :)

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:49:17 AM »

You are right about it being other musicians.  I noticed that it was the guitar players and lead vocal singers that had more of a problem than anyone else in the group.  I guess it takes the spotlight away from being on them and if you are wireless, WATCH OUT!!!  It has got to be ego.  My wife told me to get a sheet or something, blow up a pictrue of a drum kit, leave a hole for my head, and stand behind the "curtain" so that there is an appearance of "real" drums for those that use that as an excuse of why they don't want the Zendrum.  Like you said, audiences love it, and sound techs "really" love it... only the other players don't.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »

Just caught up to this thread, I've been really straight out practicing new songs with my 'new' band (been with them 8 months). They asked me to sit in one night when the lead guitar player from my then current band put together a gig with several musicians. He did it again 6 weeks later, and they were disappointed.. I brought my cajon and some percussion toys... they wanted the Zendrum.. Joy! A month later they were putting together a previous reincarnation of the band and asked me to join them, if I would play the zendrum. Heaven!! Now, 8 months later, they (and I) are having a blast, playing Americana music (Dave Alvin, John Prine, Wilco, Drive By Truckers, Richard Shindell) and originals written by band members. "If you build it they will come."

I started out carrying the ZD, my Roland TD-10 with a stand, my powered monitor, mike stand and a case of wires. I finally consolidated to one rather large suitcase, left my monitor behind, and started lugging 2 TH-15A Mackie Thumps. 3 trips, and I'm out. Love it! The band loves the zendrum for all of the stated reasons, like volume control especially; and being able toplay different sounding kits for different songs; lots of different percussion instruments, and a whole selection of congas/bongos/timpales, etc., for whatever we need in any one song. I just need more appendages, lol!

There are musicians out there that WILL appreciate the zendrum. You just have to find them. When you do, it makes for a perfect blend. I am only playing the zendrum, I sold my acoustic drums, and all my V-drum equipment. I am totally committed. (hmmm, perhaps I should be!). It is an amazing instrument. I am still learning, the curve is steep, or I am a dumdum. Either way, it seems the possibilities are almost unlimited.
Off to bed!
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up