Zendrum Stuff > I don't have a Zendrum, but...

Ordered my new Zendrum

(1/3) > >>

spundun:
I have ordered a Z1-09 with integrated wireless. It's slated to be shipped on 2/11/11 so should be here by 14th.

David suggested I buy MIDISport uno to hookup the MIDI to my macbookpro. On Amazon I searched for it (I prefer buying from amazon) and that product was not reviewed well, on the other hand a slightly cheaper E-MU Xmidi 1x1 usb MIDI adapter is rated very well at 4.5 stars out of 85 reviews. So I'm thinking of getting that adapter.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with that adapter?

Thank you
Spundun

Pocket Master:
Congratulations and welcome to the tribe!!!

I own two UNO's and a Fast Track Pro MIDI to USB adapters.  I have been using my UNO for almost a year and have never had a problem.  I am using a MacBook Pro as well and have always used the UNO.  I just recently got the Fast Track Pro and it gives you only one input for MIDI, just like the UNO but allows you to plug a mic and a guitar or keyboard into your computer as well.  The UNO is small and easy to use, no knobs or adjustments, just plug it in and go.

I can't comment on the E-MU XMIDI because I have never used it.  I paid $50 for the UNO at Guitar Center in March of 2010, got a second one just in case, but have never needed to use it.

What sound software on the MacBook are you planning on using when you get your ZX?  I am using Superior Drummer 2.0.  I run it through GarageBand on the MacBook.  One more question, where do you live?  Maybe there are other Zendrummers near you that you can get together with to swap ideas on playing and setups.  I live in St. Louis but on the Illinois side of the river.

Hope this helps,

Rob

spundun:

--- Quote from: Pocket Master on February 04, 2011, 05:27:00 AM ---
What sound software on the MacBook are you planning on using when you get your ZX?  I am using Superior Drummer 2.0.  I run it through GarageBand on the MacBook.  One more question, where do you live?  Maybe there are other Zendrummers near you that you can get together with to swap ideas on playing and setups.  I live in St. Louis but on the Illinois side of the river.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Rob.

I live in Los Angeles, 10 minutes from LAX airport. I so wanted to try a zendrum before I bought one, but didn't see any tribesmen here from LA.

I plan to use GarageBand to start with. Once I get a hang of it I plan to choose whether to get a new macbook air or just get the new iLife upgrade. I currently have a 4 years old mcbookpro so my decision will be based on the performance of that old beast. The new GarageBand seems to have a lot of drum kits and asian sounds which I'm interested in.(particularly sounds close to tabla and dhol).

Spundun

Pocket Master:
You should look into Superior Drummer.  The drums in GarageBand are ok, but when you hear the articulations that you can get with SD2, your jaw will drop.  Mine did.  I was using a Roland TD-6V for my sounds, it came with my electronic kit, and I was happy with that.  But "The Mayor" on this forum Tom Roady introduced me to SD2 and the MacBook.  My jaw dropped.  I couldn't believe the realistic sounds I was getting. You can hear the snares buzz when you hit the toms.  GarageBand drums would be a great starting point because investing in more software can get expensive.  I played my TD-6V for about a year and it allowed me to get proficient on my ZX, and now with SD2, my playing has gone to another level.

I know there are a few other Zendrummers in California, not sure their exact location to LAX, but hopefully others will post their location.  I started a new thread just for that.  Feel free to ask any other questions, everyone on the forum is here to help.

Rob

digitalDrummer:
Just on VSTs - you really don't have to go top-of-the-line. I'm currently reviewing two "entry-level" VSTS - EZdrummer and BFD Eco, and both are excellent, especially for Zendrums. Both come with limited sounds, but are expandable with additional sound packs and both have upgrade paths to their bigger siblings if you really need all the bells and whistles. Full review in the May digitalDrummer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version