Zendrum Stuff > I don't have a Zendrum, but...

Totally stoked for this but what's the real cost and needed hard/software?

(1/1)

RotaryRockStar:
Hello and Merry X-mas Zendrum community!

I just got a call today from my brother whom has unbelievably offered to get me a Zendrum for my birthday/xmas! All day, while still staggering with the magnitude of this gift, I've been cruising this forum and trying to get a hang of the lingo which reminds me very much of any forum with experts on it in that people begin to speak almost purely in acronyms and subjective jargon.

I've began acoustically drumming in 2001, had kids in 2007 and haven't been able to play since. This is what led me to Zendrum. I'm quite savvy (that's for you Pyrate!) with a PC but know nothing of macs or music software. In-fact, anything midi in-general mystifies me at this point.

So basically I'm looking for someone to help me understand what seems to be an ocean of options when it comes to setting up a rig and a total dollar investment.

What I'd like to accomplish with a zendrum is...

1. I think it's important to mention that I'm a disciple of Neil Peart (RUSH) and he's been my biggest inspiration to be a percussionist. Thus, I'd like my acoustic sounding samples to emulate that of his. However, I'd also like to make percussion sounds along the lines of NIN. Think of "Closer to God" and "Heresy" for examples.

2. I'd like to be able to perform double bass sequences (manually, which I think I would want two separate foot triggers? If playing a double ride pattern at the same time yeah? For an example see this opening segment ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo1_6E-zb2k I suppose I could do steady 16th notes with both the left and right hands at the same time but, lord that'd take some serious practice to make it tight!

3. I would love to be able to emulate some of Rush's 1982-89 electronic drum sounds which would be "Signals" through "Presto" for any fans out there... If you're not a fan, become one but in the meantime, just think of some 80's electronic drum sounds and you'll get the idea.

4. I think manual control of all the high-hat stages would be nice but I've read about some of the work-arounds utilizing manual volume control so it's not totally necessary.

5. I'm attracted to the style and mobility of a ZX but it looks like wireless would add at least $400 to the price tag... Could that be added at a later date? And what other device(s) would be required to make that happen? Batteries etc...

6. Software vs. Hardware? Could someone explain this to me with the pros and cons? I'm not excited about carrying around a laptop for live performances. I have an Alienware (PC) laptop, would that suffice? Ifso, what would be a good choice of software (with price) that would satisfy aforementioned #3?
I'm assuming that the Roland TD-10 or 20 models represent the hardware (as opposed to software) part of this equation and those look to be 500 used to 2500 new!! OUCH! Is there a way to achieve my desired sounds for less than that?

7. I would like to be able to gig publicly in the future... So, whatever that would entail... Cost-wise also please :)

I guess what I'm getting at is this... What my brother may have thought of as a $1700 gift may actually have a price tag more like 2.5k-5k? Is this correct?

Thanks for your time and profundity!

RotaryRockStar

Pocket Master:
Hey Rotary Rock Star,

I started out with my ZX, a Roland TD-6V drum module (which I already had because I own and electronic kit), and a keyboard amp.  I played with that rig for almost a year.  The module you can get for around $350 on eBay, so the expense is not too outrageous.  As time went by, I slowly expanded my rig by adding a Roland FC-300 MIDI foot controller.  This allowed me to switch to different kits in my module without my hands ever leaving my Zendrum.

Then I met Tom Roady, "The Mayor" on the Zendrum forum, and he introduced me to the MacBook and a software program called Superior Drummer 2.0.  I really didn't look back, the software ran circles around my TD-6V.  In my opinion, there are so many more options available if you use software.  I still have my TD-6V in the event my MacBook Pro or software take a dump, I can still play through a set until the problem is resolved.  But so far, no issues.  I also have the wireless MIDIJet Pro kit, which I am having integrated into my ZX next week when I go down to ZDHQ.  There are others on the forum that use PC laptops or computers and it seems to work well for them, I do know a few that have issues with using PC's, but as I said, I am using a MacBook Pro and I have not had the same issues.

I do not use any foot pedals for kick or HH, just haven't needed them.  I do know some on the forum that do use foot pedals for both Kick and HH.  I just think it defeats the purpose of going wireless if you have to stand in the same spot because of the pedals.  Just my opinion.

Bottom line, you can get everything you need for less then $2,500 and be able to go out and play live.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Zendrumdude:
OK, I have answered within your post:

--- Quote from: RotaryRockStar on December 25, 2010, 12:29:23 AM ---Hello and Merry X-mas Zendrum community!

I just got a call today from my brother whom has unbelievably offered to get me a Zendrum for my birthday/xmas! All day, while still staggering with the magnitude of this gift, I've been cruising this forum and trying to get a hang of the lingo which reminds me very much of any forum with experts on it in that people begin to speak almost purely in acronyms and subjective jargon.

I've began acoustically drumming in 2001, had kids in 2007 and haven't been able to play since. This is what led me to Zendrum. I'm quite savvy (that's for you Pyrate!) with a PC but know nothing of macs or music software. In-fact, anything midi in-general mystifies me at this point.

So basically I'm looking for someone to help me understand what seems to be an ocean of options when it comes to setting up a rig and a total dollar investment.

What I'd like to accomplish with a zendrum is...

1. I think it's important to mention that I'm a disciple of Neil Peart (RUSH) and he's been my biggest inspiration to be a percussionist. Thus, I'd like my acoustic sounding samples to emulate that of his. However, I'd also like to make percussion sounds along the lines of NIN. Think of "Closer to God" and "Heresy" for examples.  If you use BFD, you can actually buy samples of Neil's actual kit!!!!

2. I'd like to be able to perform double bass sequences (manually, which I think I would want two separate foot triggers? If playing a double ride pattern at the same time yeah? For an example see this opening segment ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo1_6E-zb2k I suppose I could do steady 16th notes with both the left and right hands at the same time but, lord that'd take some serious practice to make it tight!  It's all about deciding how you WANT to play, and then setting up the pad assignment to make it possible.  If you can dream it, you can do it.  It's extremely flexible.  I don't use any pedals at all in my setup, and I play double bass stuff quite a bit.  Or you can use BD and HH pedals... whatever fits your needs.

3. I would love to be able to emulate some of Rush's 1982-89 electronic drum sounds which would be "Signals" through "Presto" for any fans out there... If you're not a fan, become one but in the meantime, just think of some 80's electronic drum sounds and you'll get the idea.  This is a factor of what sounds are in whatever you decide to use for a sound source.  Modules generally have lots of old analog drum sounds like these.  The software route is more tailored to realism, but there are sample packages with electro sounds as well.

4. I think manual control of all the high-hat stages would be nice but I've read about some of the work-arounds utilizing manual volume control so it's not totally necessary.  I don't understand the second part of that statement exactly, but there are several cool ways to control HH open/close options.  It just depends on whether you want to use a pedal, more/less pads assigned for different articulations, or velocity control (meaning the softer/harder you hit it controls how open it is.) Lots of possibilities.

5. I'm attracted to the style and mobility of a ZX but it looks like wireless would add at least $400 to the price tag... Could that be added at a later date? And what other device(s) would be required to make that happen? Batteries etc...  It can be added later.  You'll definitely want it at some point.  Only extra is batteries: 9v.  There's a cool rechargeable option; search this forum.  I think it's $100 for that set.

6. Software vs. Hardware? Could someone explain this to me with the pros and cons? Bottom line: software is more costly but sounds better and has endless "tweakability."  Hardware is faster, easier, and is all in one "box", as opposed to bringing a laptop and interfaces, etc.  I use both, but my MacBook/BFD2 setup SMOKES any module I have heard.

I'm not excited about carrying around a laptop for live performances. I have an Alienware (PC) laptop, would that suffice? Ifso, what would be a good choice of software (with price) that would satisfy aforementioned #3? I think BFD2 is the best thing out there, but its steep intense learning curve may not be the best for you right now.  Perhaps the "lite" version of Superior as a starting point?  (Its name escapes me right now...)

I'm assuming that the Roland TD-10 or 20 models represent the hardware (as opposed to software) part of this equation and those look to be 500 used to 2500 new!! OUCH! Is there a way to achieve my desired sounds for less than that? Lots of modules cost less.  My favorite module so far is the Alesis DM10; I think I paid $600 ish new.  It's great.

7. I would like to be able to gig publicly in the future... So, whatever that would entail... Cost-wise also please :)  Sounds and amplification, that's all.  in some bands' cases, you'd just go into the same PA the vocals are coming from.  My first zillion Zendrum gigs didn't require ANY extra PA gear- band PA only.

I guess what I'm getting at is this... What my brother may have thought of as a $1700 gift may actually have a price tag more like 2.5k-5k? Is this correct?  Probably not as bad as all that, but yes, more cash than the ZD itself.

Thanks for your time and profundity!

RotaryRockStar

--- End quote ---

Hope that helps!

Jer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version