Hello and Merry X-mas Zendrum community!
I just got a call today from my brother whom has unbelievably offered to get me a Zendrum for my birthday/xmas! All day, while still staggering with the magnitude of this gift, I've been cruising this forum and trying to get a hang of the lingo which reminds me very much of any forum with experts on it in that people begin to speak almost purely in acronyms and subjective jargon.
I've began acoustically drumming in 2001, had kids in 2007 and haven't been able to play since. This is what led me to Zendrum. I'm quite savvy (that's for you Pyrate!) with a PC but know nothing of macs or music software. In-fact, anything midi in-general mystifies me at this point.
So basically I'm looking for someone to help me understand what seems to be an ocean of options when it comes to setting up a rig and a total dollar investment.
What I'd like to accomplish with a zendrum is...
1. I think it's important to mention that I'm a disciple of Neil Peart (RUSH) and he's been my biggest inspiration to be a percussionist. Thus, I'd like my acoustic sounding samples to emulate that of his. However, I'd also like to make percussion sounds along the lines of NIN. Think of "Closer to God" and "Heresy" for examples.
2. I'd like to be able to perform double bass sequences (manually, which I think I would want two separate foot triggers? If playing a double ride pattern at the same time yeah? For an example see this opening segment ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo1_6E-zb2k
I suppose I could do steady 16th notes with both the left and right hands at the same time but, lord that'd take some serious practice to make it tight!
3. I would love to be able to emulate some of Rush's 1982-89 electronic drum sounds which would be "Signals" through "Presto" for any fans out there... If you're not a fan, become one but in the meantime, just think of some 80's electronic drum sounds and you'll get the idea.
4. I think manual control of all the high-hat stages would be nice but I've read about some of the work-arounds utilizing manual volume control so it's not totally necessary.
5. I'm attracted to the style and mobility of a ZX but it looks like wireless would add at least $400 to the price tag... Could that be added at a later date? And what other device(s) would be required to make that happen? Batteries etc...
6. Software vs. Hardware? Could someone explain this to me with the pros and cons? I'm not excited about carrying around a laptop for live performances. I have an Alienware (PC) laptop, would that suffice? Ifso, what would be a good choice of software (with price) that would satisfy aforementioned #3?
I'm assuming that the Roland TD-10 or 20 models represent the hardware (as opposed to software) part of this equation and those look to be 500 used to 2500 new!! OUCH! Is there a way to achieve my desired sounds for less than that?
7. I would like to be able to gig publicly in the future... So, whatever that would entail... Cost-wise also please
I guess what I'm getting at is this... What my brother may have thought of as a $1700 gift may actually have a price tag more like 2.5k-5k? Is this correct?
Thanks for your time and profundity!