Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to be able to power my Zendrum with a battery box....  (Read 5779 times)

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Want to be able to power my Zendrum with a battery box....
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »

...but don't want to pay out for a pre-produced one.
Is it out of bounds to talk about DIY projects on this forum?  I don't want to tread on toes or breach agreements with suppliers / Zendrum.
I am, however, an increasingly keen diy electronics hobbyist (nerd!) and am interested in building my own battery box.
Before I go any further with questions, etc - Inspector 109, what is the protocol around a forum discussion for something like this, please?
Thanks,

Dave

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Want to be able to power my Zendrum with a battery box....
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

I don't think so.
Your frugal curiosity is trumped by my desire to warranty and support.
The two points of view cannot be reconciled over a few bucks saved and danger invited.
This not a DIY issue because the simple, safe solution has already been available for years from Zendrum Corp.
Since catastrophic circuitboard failure can occur in two seconds, I'll pass on offering any wiring specs. here.
I would recommend that you do so as well to avoid bigger problems and misunderstandings from your fellow Zendrummers.
If you need something done right, go to the source.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »

Ok, thanks for clariying that for me.  I will no loner pursue the DIY route and will save my pennies (cents!).
Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Tribe.
Much success for Zendrum and their followers in 2011!

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »

Treat yourself to an internal wireless MIDI unit from Zendrum.  It is awesome and the battery lasts forever!!

Save your DIY for your Zendrum technique!!   ;D
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »

Slavedave I would strongly consider having the Inspector install the Internal wireless Midi Pro and Internal battery box! I have had mine for a while and the freedom that it allows cannot be overstated. Also you can still run the Zendrum with an external battery box and cords should you want to. Thumper
Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »

Dave,

A tale from the ghost of Zendrums past...

Many years ago I began experimenting with battery-ifying  ;) my Zendrum.  I had an internally powered ZX in 1998 (but the whole backplate had to come off for battery replacement!)  I also made 2 working versions of an in-line battery box.  Then in 2000 or so I wired in an internal rechargeable battery with the charger wired to the midi port.  Pretty cool, right?  Umm, yeah, until I charged it and fried my circuitboard.   >:( :-[  I will never forget that ominous "pffft" sound and the little waft of smoke coming up from the inside of that Zendrum. :o

David was cooler about that event than anyone probably should be, (he did laugh at me a bit though!) and I am happy to report that that ZX (datawheel!) is still out there running.  But my point is, now that internal battery power IS available from the guys, get it done right!  The convenience of an onboard battery door is so great, and they do a PRO install job, with warranted coverage.

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »

I have seen the internal battery box setup that Zendrum does and I have to say it looks really nice.  I am heading down in January to have my ZX done up with the internal wireless and the battery box.  I don't think you will be disappointed and it will be worth the money.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

'Dude- I wasn't going to tell on you or name any names, but thanks for speaking up about your "bad moment".
I know I've had MY fair share.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »

Jer,

I can't even imagine what that must have been like.  I know that if I saw smoke coming out of my instrument, you'd hear the scream all the way in Georgia!  Yikes...

I prefer having the external box; if something goes wrong I can just swap out the component than have to worry about something wrong in the instrument itself.  I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to certain things though (which is kind of ironic considering my love for the Zendrum itself). 
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »

When I was sending my ZD for the new Z4 update, I hemmed and hawed about how many pads I wanted to add, and if I wanted the wireless mode put in.

Well, IMHO I did make the RIGHT decisions (for a change!).....

~ I added all the pads I could (6 more) thinking that if I didn't need them, I just wouldn't use them... much... not! I wish I could have added 6 more! Though using Zenedit (and getting it finally all sorted) has lessened the desire for more pads since I can now do crossfades exactly as I want them. But I am very glad I added the 6 that I did.

~ I had the wireless Midi Pro installed with the internal battery box. Not only was it professionally done (in appearance and workmanship), it is one of the best options ever. I am now unofficially the 'sound check guy' for the band. I stand out front during one of the first several songs and make sure our sound is spot on.  This in itself has been terrific. But also I am not tied to one spot on stage, and don't  have to worry about tangling my cords up. The rechargable battery setup suggested by the Inspector is initially expensive, but I have never had a freshly installed battery quit on me during the entire night, and I leave the zendrum on during breaks. I always recharge a battery before a gig and keep a spare with me, fully charged; but I've never needed the spare (so far!). I also keep the 'wired' connection with me just in case, but no need as of yet.

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:43:10 AM »

Wireless Midi Pics.  PS - I had permission from Inspector 109 to open up the belly of the beast for an authorized antenna wire reattachment.  Do not do this yourself!!

Battery Box:

Internal MIDI unit:

Internal Z4 and MIDI unit:

Volume control knob:

End result - priceless!!!   8)
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »

Thanks for all the posts,.
For clarification, can the LT have an internal wireless midi option installled?  I thought it was just the ZX that could be upgraded.
Is anyone still using the the external battery box?  As an interim stage of going wireless, I could get the battery box first, run a long standard midi cable to the interface and play along that way.  Then, once I locate a cheap wireless midi unit I could get that to upgrade to wireless.  However, can anyone explain the connection schematic for a combined wireless / battery box combo?  How does the routing go from zen to wireless unit via the battery box?
An added element here is that the wirelss midi unit must be able to be used with my EWI4000S wind controller if possible so that I only have to buy one unit.  It looks lilke the MidiJet Pro is the likely candidate at the moment.
Thanks again for any shared experiences.

Dave

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »

Thanks for all the posts,.
For clarification, can the LT have an internal wireless midi option installled?  I thought it was just the ZX that could be upgraded.
-The LT isn't big enough to allow the wireless and battery to fit inside. (Same with Zap of course.)

Is anyone still using the the external battery box?  As an interim stage of going wireless, I could get the battery box first, run a long standard midi cable to the interface and play along that way.  Then, once I locate a cheap wireless midi unit I could get that to upgrade to wireless.  However, can anyone explain the connection schematic for a combined wireless / battery box combo?  How does the routing go from zen to wireless unit via the battery box?
-Zendrum midi out -> external battery box -> wireless Midi transmitter
*I'd advise an INTERNAL battery upgrade, and external wireless, if you want to use the wireless for windsynth as well.

An added element here is that the wirelss midi unit must be able to be used with my EWI4000S wind controller if possible so that I only have to buy one unit.  It looks lilke the MidiJet Pro is the likely candidate at the moment.
Thanks again for any shared experiences.

Dave

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 10:43:28 AM »

actually 'Dude, We've done some internal wireless/battery LT's now.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »

I still use the external Battery Box.  I've always felt a little better about using it than the internal mod because if the Battery Box goes down I can go back to mains-powering the instrument and not have to send in the entire apparatus to repair that one component.  Yeah, it's a little bulkier but the modular approach gives me some peace of mind. 
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up