Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using their Zen with Roland's DT-HD1 Drum Tutor  (Read 1391 times)

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Anyone using their Zen with Roland's DT-HD1 Drum Tutor
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »

I'd be keen to try this, but haven't worked out how to get the DT-HD1 to reocgnise the Zen. Any connection tips and settings advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Anyone using their Zen with Roland's DT-HD1 Drum Tutor
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »

Any MIDI device should work.  The problem may lie in your driver as it sounds like people have been trouble, especially with Windows.  I'd start troubleshooting there.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&num=10&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=DT-HD1+driver+problem&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=94fb864a6b447b62
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »

I'm using a UM-1G USB-MIDI adaptor, taking the MIDI out from my Merge brick and MIDI In to the Zen. The DT-HD1 appears to recognise the Zen as I get the "scores" when i hit correct notes - or miss them - but I can't hear any notes from the Zen or the DT-HD1. Any suggestions?
And slightly off-topic .... I've also connected the Zen to BFD eco for the first time and while everything appears corectly mapped, I am not really getting any dynamics at all from the program. And the machine-gunning is very noticeable. Are these common phenomena or sould I be getting better dynamics?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »

I'm using a UM-1G USB-MIDI adaptor, taking the MIDI out from my Merge brick and MIDI In to the Zen. The DT-HD1 appears to recognise the Zen as I get the "scores" when i hit correct notes - or miss them - but I can't hear any notes from the Zen or the DT-HD1. Any suggestions?
You do still need a sound source of course.   Drum Tutor to the best of my knowledge does not produce any sound.  The typical usage of it is to have a Roland sound module (such as the HD-1) plugged into it.  Do you own a sound module that has both MIDI IN as well as OUT?  If so, the easiest route is probably to plug your zen into the module first, and then plug the module in to the PC.
Alternatively you could use a VST based source (such as your BFD Eco).  You might need to fiddle around with port sharing then though.  Depends on if either piece of software takes exclusive use of the MIDI port.

And slightly off-topic .... I've also connected the Zen to BFD eco for the first time and while everything appears corectly mapped, I am not really getting any dynamics at all from the program. And the machine-gunning is very noticeable. Are these common phenomena or sould I be getting better dynamics?
You should be getting better dynamics, yes.  You might want to play around with your response curve and noise floor settings in the zen.  BFD2 also has an 'anti-machine gun' setting, though I do not know if this is available in Eco, and to be honest, I never thought it had *much* effect in BFD2.  Best way to combat machine-gunning is to have two snares setup in BFD, each using the same base snare samples, but tuned slightly differently so as to be more distinct.  Then assign one to your left hand snare trigger(s) and the other to your right.

HTH
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »

You do still need a sound source of course.   Drum Tutor to the best of my knowledge does not produce any sound.  The typical usage of it is to have a Roland sound module (such as the HD-1) plugged into it.  Do you own a sound module that has both MIDI IN as well as OUT?  If so, the easiest route is probably to plug your zen into the module first, and then plug the module in to the PC.
Alternatively you could use a VST based source (such as your BFD Eco).  You might need to fiddle around with port sharing then though.  Depends on if either piece of software takes exclusive use of the MIDI port.
Of course, that makes sense. I was trying to avoid the module, but clearly it would be too fiddly to use BFD. So, to use my TD-20 module, I'd have to Zen MIDI OUT to TD-20 MIDI IN; TD-20 MIDI OUT to USB and USB MIDI IN to ZEN MIDI IN?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »

Sure thing.  The TD-20 has a "soft thru" setting on the MIDI setup page.  If you enable that, any MIDI messages that appear at the IN port are echoed to OUT.  If you also have "local control" enabled on the same screen (should be by default) then the TD-20 will also produce sounds as per normal.

HTH

Ask me about:
Pages: [1]   Go Up