Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Band Midi Adaptor  (Read 1091 times)

Kelsin

Rock Band Midi Adaptor
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »

I'm a huge Rock Band player and ever since getting my Zendrum I've really wanted to use it as a controller for Rock Band. Before now the process to do this largely involved soldiering of some sort and hacking a broken rock band drum kit and other stuff I didn't want to get into.

Now they are releasing this for rock band 3: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Rock-Band-MIDI-PRO/dp/B00409SOD2

Already pre-ordered two (one for my keyboard and one for Zendrum) and I will definitely post back with how well it works once it's released and I get my hands on it.

Currently I love my Zendrum but feel like I play the beats that are easy to play given a certain layout. This way I can practice by forcing myself to play the beats in the over 400+ songs I have in my rock band collection... I can't WAIT!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Rock Band Midi Adaptor
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »

Sounds like a great way to get a perfect score ;)

Zendrum FTW!   ;D
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

rhombus

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »

Hi guys I recently acquired the Rock Band Midi Adapter for the Xbox 360. They're available directly from Mad Catz and also Amazon.

I've tried it with the Zendrum LT and pretty much everything works. I still have not bought a foot pedal to act as a hi-hit pedal, I could use some suggestions on compatible pedals if any of you know.

Otherwise all the triggers work. I went to the Rock Band forums to look for a MIDI implementation and found this graphic that has a table of MIDI note values and CCs for configuring MIDI instruments for compatibility:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1010/rbmpmidinotemapping.jpg

A bunch of things I've learned so far...

It is important to always play in Pro Drums mode when using the Zendrum. In regular Drums mode, the drums change from song to song so one song a trigger might map to the hi-hat and on another song that same trigger might map to a tom. It will seriously throw you off. In Pro Drums mode, triggers will sound consistent and you'll be able to play by ear after learning the songs.

There is a game mode that allows you to free play the drums, which is handy for configuring the Zendrum.

Also there is a calibration wizard that adjusts for sound and video latency, I definitely recommend you use it after setting up the triggers on the Zendrum.

Learn Your Instrument mode is also handy for getting the hang of their wacky notation system. For example, the yellow line is used for both hi hat and high tom depending on the symbol that appears on the line.

Based on my testing it appears that Rock Band requires velocity values of 127 to trigger so I recommend setting up a program on your Zendrum with a Response Curve of 7 which outputs full velocity no matter how hard you hit the trigger. It seems Rock Band does not appreciate subtlety.

The MIDI Adapter has a switch on it with three positions: D K and G for drums, keyboard, and guitar respectively. I have used my Clavia Nord Modular G2 with the MIDI Adapter and the only thing I noticed was that the octave up and down buttons have no affect on the MIDI notes sent. Other than that it works without any configuration.

Finally, have a look at the marketplace to find new songs. There's a ton there and they're adding new songs every week. Each song tells you which instruments it supports and what difficulties. I noticed they recently put up the entire London Calling album by The Clash, so there's definitely some stuff worth checking out.

Kelsin

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

Wow thanks for all of that info!

My Amazon order was continually pushed back saying that the item wasn't going to arrive anytime soon (It was originally set for Nov 31st, then December 27th, then January, etc etc).

I finally canceled my order but have not gotten one yet. Amazon still says they have no idea when they are getting one. I will check at my local gamestop today and if they still don't have it I'll probably order it from MadCatZ soon.

Thanks for posting all of that info though, it's good to know that others have it and have it working! Also tips about the 127 thing is good to hear too! I can't wait to get some solid practice in on my Zendrum (I'm just a hobbyist). On the other hand I am a gamer and have bought WAY more songs than I should have on the marketplace already so my song library is a pretty good size!

spundun

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »

Hi guys I recently acquired the Rock Band Midi Adapter for the Xbox 360. They're available directly from Mad Catz and also Amazon.

I bought the same controller for Wii just yesterday.
Kelsin, I bought it at a local Best Buy for 40$. They had the XBox version too.

I've tried it with the Zendrum LT and pretty much everything works.
I can't quite say that about my experience so far. The green tom pad is supposed to be at c4 trigger which is setup to send signal 41. But the Mad Catz controller detects it as a blue pad. I'm ready to blame the mad catz controller, but is there a way to verify what signal each trigger sends using my macbookpro? I have to fall back on the T4 green cymbal for now, and I'm stuck with the non-pro mode.

It is important to always play in Pro Drums mode when using the Zendrum. In regular Drums mode, the drums change from song to song so one song a trigger might map to the hi-hat and on another song that same trigger might map to a tom. It will seriously throw you off. In Pro Drums mode, triggers will sound consistent and you'll be able to play by ear after learning the songs.
Since I don't know how to play Zendrum yet, and know very little about drum sets and the songs, this was not a problem for me. I was able to play in the regular mode without getting confused, but I'm probably in a minority here :)

There is a game mode that allows you to free play the drums, which is handy for configuring the Zendrum.
Speaking of which, can someone with a Zx tell me how they have configured the instrument for Rock Band?

Also there is a calibration wizard that adjusts for sound and video latency, I definitely recommend you use it after setting up the triggers on the Zendrum.
I have an HD Tv, I used Midi Jet wireless pus the controller in the chain, so I thought I needed to calibrate for sure. But after the calibration, my timing was completely off, so I went back to no calibration.

Based on my testing it appears that Rock Band requires velocity values of 127 to trigger so I recommend setting up a program on your Zendrum with a Response Curve of 7 which outputs full velocity no matter how hard you hit the trigger. It seems Rock Band does not appreciate subtlety.
After spending a few frustrated hours with this, that obvious solution occurred to me today morning. After I set rC to 7 , now the controller is acting much better. I still have the green tom issue though.

Thanks, I wish I had read your post before starting yesterday.

Kelsin

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

I bought the same controller for Wii just yesterday.
Kelsin, I bought it at a local Best Buy for 40$. They had the XBox version too.

That's what I've heard but my local best buy does not have it unfortunately :-( I just finally picked up Rock Band 3 and I'll grab the adapter directly from Mad Catz.

spundun

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »

Ah, for some reason, my low drum trigger was not programmed right, I switched it from 45 to 41 and now it works really well!

I think I'll switch to Pro Drum mode now, that way I will probably learn the drums better
Pages: [1]   Go Up