Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing patches using the Zendrum's buttons?  (Read 2281 times)

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Changing patches using the Zendrum's buttons?
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »

Hi fellow drummers,
I have an LT upgraded to z4 and use it to run Superior 2.0 and other vsti's.  I am currently setting it up so that programme 1 outputs on midi channel 10 which triggers the SD2 vsti and programme 5 outputs to Yellow Tool's Inedpendence pro running "Culture" on channel 11.  The idea is to have both instruments ready for action in any given song (drums from SD2 and percussion from Culture) and they both work fine except that the programme up and down buttons do not initiate the new patch as soon as I scroll to the respective programme number.  I need to add an additional press of either the left arrow or right arrow button after scrolling to the appropriate number to start the respective vstii.  Is this normal behaviour?  Should I expect the vst's to automatically be addressed as I scroll up or down?
Also, I don't notice a huge difference in sensitivity between the old pcb and the new one - maybe I don't play subtly enough yet though.  I have adjusted the parameters for sensitivity, noise floor and gain etc but await any suggestions from the forum.
Finally, last night I noticed that a tiny LED light flashes (x1 to x2 per second) next to the main display at a regular interval even if I am not triggering anything by playing.  Any idea if this means anything that I should be aware of?  Again, is this normal?
Thanks in advance for any light shed on this?  Thanks.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Changing patches using the Zendrum's buttons?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »

Regarding having to press left or right to get the channel change to take effect, yes this is normal.  It seems to be pretty much everyone's least favorite change in the Z4 ;)

Regarding the flashing light, this is also normal.  This is the indicator that you have uncommitted changes.  With the Z4 boards, you need to explicitly 'save' your edits by scrolling to the right-most option and pressing up once, then twice to confirm -- otherwise any edits you make will not be saved when you power down.  Note that changing the program number constitutes an edit, so expect to see this flashing indicator a lot ;)
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »

DrumWagon,
Thanks for clearing that up for me.  'Tis a shame about the two stage patchchange since it introduces more of a delay which potentially could inhibit my clave solo coming in on time ;D
At the moment I am using the midi channel to control seperate vitual instruments but long term I want to get to the point whereby I can change instruments via programme change messages alone in my DAW host (Sonar 8.5).  i just haven't got the midi expertise to work out how to do this yet i.e send a programme change message with each change on the LT that solos a given channel containing the target vsti whilst muting all other channels.  I know it is possible with Cubase because I have seen a chap called Tony Ostinato do it with his EWI wind controller on Youtube (I also have an EWi that I play alongside the Zen).  Must get a midi basics lesson, methinks.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »

A simple foot switch to send program change messages is probably your best option.

HTH
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »

Is there anyway to send program changes TO the Zendrum from a foot switch or MIDI foot controller?  I had assumed that the second MIDI port was a MIDI in while responding to another post and was told that was only used for SYSEX messages.  Is this still the case with the Z4?  I am still using the 3.X chipset, but I was just wondering if there was a change with the Z4.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »

I would think that something like the Roland FC-300 wired to the Zendrum's MIDI IN would do what you need.  Do you still have the unit you mentioned in this post: http://zendrum.com/forums/index.php?topic=2329.0;topicseen ?  I'd say grab some wires and start tweakin'. 
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »

I still have the FC-300, I haven't tried hooking it up to the "other" MIDI jack on my ZX yet, I had mentioned it in another post but someone chimed in that it wouldn't work, so I never tried it.  I guess I could just do it to see what happens.  Here is a question, I know you have to do some additional steps to save changes that you make with the new Z4 chip, but is it still a single step process to change from program 1 to 2 to 3 and so on using the keypad on the back?  Or, does it ask for a confirm if I am on Program 6 and want to go to Program 5, do I just hit the arrow down and I am at 5 or is there another step?

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »

With the 4.x board you need to move left or right from Pr for the change to take effect.  Pain in the ass, but you get used to it.

Ask me about:

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »

Is there anyway to send program changes TO the Zendrum from a foot switch or MIDI foot controller?

Alas, no.  The Zendrum's midi in is just data in- not a true midi input.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »

Avast Thar Pocket Master,

Aye be wondering how changing to the Z4 board will affect your ability to change programs using yer FC300 pedal.  Have ye any idea how ye may be impacted?

Avast Thar Zendrumdude,

Aye will try to give you a hail tomorrow (Sunday, 28 Nov 2010, at a reasonable hour.  What be a good time to parlay?

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »

I haven't been using my FC-300 for changing programs at all lately with the Z3 chip.  I use it more for sustain when using melodic instruments and volume control as well as the wah effects built into the unit.  If I were using my Roland module I could use it to change kits at the module, but it will not work to change programs on my ZX due to the fact that the Zendrum does not have a true MIDI input so it cannot receive MIDI input program messages.  I have not actually tried it for myself yet, I am not 100% sure but I have no reason to doubt the others on the forum that have made that statement.  One thing I am looking forward to with the Z4 board is the ability to start and stop sequences within a drum kit program on a keyboard or drum module.  From what I understand, I can assign a pad assigned to MIDI channel 9 in a program and have the other pads assigned to MIDI channel 10.  That will be cool.

Rob

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

Yup, any pad (and any cc control) can have a different  channel assignment.  Having a cc knob installed on the back is also a nice upgrade, very handy to use it to control volume.

Ask me about:

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:05 AM »

Avast Thar Pocket Master,

Aye be wondering how changing to the Z4 board will affect your ability to change programs using yer FC300 pedal.  Have ye any idea how ye may be impacted?

Avast Thar Zendrumdude,

Aye will try to give you a hail tomorrow (Sunday, 28 Nov 2010, at a reasonable hour.  What be a good time to parlay?

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate

Sorry Pyrate, I don't know how I missed this post.

The Z4 and the FC300foot controller are completely different and unrelated systems.  Getting a Z4 would not affect anything concerning functions of the FC300.  And, if you wanna give me a call, anytime this weekend is great- although it sounded in another thread like you're all ship-shape and squared away.  Let me know if I can help with anything else (except shoveling snow off your decks... doing plenty of THAT here!)

Jer

nZenEar

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

All,

re: Thread

Yes the program fucntion must get confimation this was actually a feature (not abug) to avoid the unintended switches that some MIDI listeners do (they sometimes take time, make noise and confuse the listening device if they come too fast). Any alternatives that address both issues are welcome.

I hear allot about MIDI in desired. Someone elaborate on what is desired there.  Anything is possible.  It's a Lego set but please be non-contriditory.

nZenEar
Pages: [1]   Go Up