Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: crossfades not saving  (Read 2258 times)

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
crossfades not saving
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »

Hey Darin,

I'm having some issues trying to save my crossfades. Maybe I am doing something wrong sequentially? Here's what I do....

I set up my buttons as I want them (in this instance, using channel 10, for a Roland TD-10 perc 1 setting). I set up the crossfades for lo-mid-hi congas (3 diff buttons), with each xfade giving me mute, open (x2) and slap with a hard hit. Once it is all set up, I save the project as a ".zen" file. Then, I 'export sysex' to save this same configuration as a ".syx" file. I close the Zenedit program, open the Midi-ox program, hit 'view .. sysex' to open the sysex window, then 'command window, load file', I load my ".syx" file, and hit open. The Zendrum is on Exclusive Receive (Er), and it seems to be geting the program, as the little light does light up as the program transfers. After transfer, I go to save it on the zendrum, then whem I try it out, everything seems to be fine except the crossfades... they are not as I set them up, but follow the same 4 in a row notes as they did before Zenedit.

Any ideas as to why they aren't saving? Thanks,
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: crossfades not saving
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »

Heya Rand, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly.  Can you send me a copy of your .zen and .syx files to support@nebiru.com so that I can investigate further?

thanks.

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »

Done!    :)

Thanks.

Rand
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:10:13 AM »

So, did this work out and are there any lessons for the rest of us?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »

I'm still waiting to hear the final outcome, but we traced this to being a problem with this particular Zendrum.  Last I heard the board was being replaced.

The exact symptom was the Zendrum acknowledging the receipt of sysex data during an ER session, but never completing.  A number of different MIDI cables were tried, the MIDI host programs' settings were verified and the sysex was verified on another Zendrum.  Ultimately all other variables were eliminated outside of the problem lying with that particular board.

This I would consider to be extremely rare I and I would be careful of jumping to the conclusion that the Zendrum is at fault.  99% of the time the problem is likely to be in the MIDI cable, interface or drivers.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »

Anyone else having trouble sending sysex files to the Z4? I've tried using both Windows and Mac applications, but can't get the Zen to accept them. Tired a couple of different MID/USB cables and I know the system works because I've managed to get the Zen to export to my computer, but nothing the other way...
anyone??

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

So from various conversations I've had, it seems likely that the Z4 has issues with receiving sysex from some MIDI interfaces.

It might be helpful if we could all list here what interfaces we are using and which ones do or do not have trouble, to see if a pattern emerges.

The interfaces I routinely send sysex over (without wireless) that do NOT have any problems are:

M-Audio USB Uno
Presonus FP-10
Presonus Firebox

-dk

Ask me about:

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 01:36:25 AM »

Not quite what you asked, but I have tried with a Cakewalk/Roland UM-1G and a generic USB/MIDI cable and not succeeded with either. Both were fine receiving from the Zen - and are regularly used to send and receive between VDrumLib and a Roland TD20 module.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »

I was having all kinds of trouble and 0% success with a cheapo no-name brand USB to MIDI interface.  My MOTU UltraLite works perfectly.

Jer

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »

All,
Darin and Dave did a fantastic job unearthing the issue, and figuring out the fix. Simply put ( and I hope I am not jumping the gun here Darin, but I already had an email asking for the details), the issue apparently was the transmission speed using the MIDI-OX program, and the Z4, I don't know if this is on ALL or just a few. The fix for me, as sent by Darin, is as follows:

1.       In MIDI-OX, go to Options > Configure Buffers...

2.       For "Low Level Output Buffers" change the "Size" to 128 and the "Num" to 32.

3.       Click 'Ok'.

Thats it! I'm no computer whiz, but near as i can tell, that changes the rate at which the info is downloaded to the zendrum, and that worked beautifully.
I am using a simple Alesis Midi Interface cable, it does not require any drivers. It simply plugs in to the USB port on my computer, and the two outputs plug in to the zendrum... the Alesis Midi IN plug to the Midi OUT of the ZD, and the Alesis Midi OUT plug to the ZD Midi IN.

Kudos to Dave, Darin, and the engineer (?) for all their efforts in solving this problem. The customer support at Zendrum Corp and by Darin with Zenedit is second to none. Both gentlemen were very involved in helping get this resolved. Phone calls, testing different fixes, guiding me on the phone, etc. I can't say enough about this. These folks don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk!

Rand

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

After battling with ZenEdit and two interfaces - a generic and a Roland/Cakewalk, I tried using an M-Audio MIDISPORT and succeeded first time - with a throttled back SysEx Librarian.
So, if in doubt, stick with the "approved" interfaces.
DW, you can add the MIDISPORT to the list!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:33:57 AM by digitalDrummer »

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »

Fantastic, glad to hear you both are up and running.

I've added an entry to the support page to aid anyone else that runs into this in the future.

http://nebiru.com/zenedit/index.cfm?event=helpIndex

-dk

Ask me about:

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »

Allan,

Glad it finally worked out for you! One of the things Darin suspected from the get-go and as it turned out to be, some sort of a midi interface problem. So, with you and me, it was the speed of the upload from the MIDI-OX program, and you also had the cable issue. No doubt with anyone else having this issue, the problems will likely be in the same areas. The Zendrum itself seems to be coming through with flying colors!

Sure is a lot easier than you having to ship back from down under mate! Enjoy!

Darin, the program works beautifully, I am having a lot of fun setting up the crossfades. Now for instance,  my conga's: instead of using 9 pads for low, mid and hi congas, each with mute, open, and slap, I set up 3 pads, crossfading for open (1-40), open (41-90), mute (91-125) and slap (126-127)! Beautiful! Just like playing a set of acoustic conga's!
Gonna do the same for my bongo's... and then on my drum kits set up a couple of cymbals with splashes at the high ends, and then.... wow... the list goes on...!

This is a great program, and it's still in its infancy. It's only going to get better.

Thanks!!

Rand
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:39:05 PM by randtor »

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »

Thanks for your behind-the-scenes encouragement, Rand. One thing that has emerged is that I'm probably "over-enthusiastic" in my playing. I set a couple of triggers with crossfades and constantly trigger the bottom sound - so I'm clearly hitting too hard.
I'll try turning down the sensitivity and also work on a lighter touch.
Oh well, the learning curve continues.....

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »

Allan,
Yes, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of all the potential using Zenedit with my Zendrum. There are a lot of places where I can see using a crossfade will really be beneficial. That was the main application that attracted ME to Zendedit. Now that I am seeing all the different ways I can use the crossfaeds, I am really more excited thatn at first. I just have to find the time to sit for dedicated hours and find what I want. It takes dedication and perserverance because you need to figure out what you THINK you want, then try it for real on the ZD; then try it for real while playing a song or three! Then figure out IF it works, what else needs to be done to tweak it to what you want, and then go on to the NEXT application!

In the long run it will be worth the effort, of this much I am sure! I play the zendrum exclusively, and have for almost 4 years. My first band was all oldies and classic R&R (50's - 80's), with some 90's and 2000's mixed in here and there. I have now moved on to my current band, playing Americana type music... alt. country/acoustic R&R/"new" country.... what we refer to as "acoustic...electric...eclectic" music. This style requires much more discipline and specificity for me than good ol' R&R! So, I find I am oftentimes playing "less" but contributing "more". Very specific "splashes" at certain times; specific 'phrases' of music at specific times; it all sounded so simple to me when I first started with this band, but I have come to see better, and enjoy the challenge! I feel that Zenedit is going to contribute tremendously to this style for me.

So "Keep on Truckin' " as we used to say!

Rand
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up