Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hookup for live shows  (Read 1816 times)

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Hookup for live shows
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »

As I get closer to to gigging with my new band, I have some hookup questions.

I'm running bfd on my macbook out to a motu ultralite.   If I take the main outs of the ultralite directly into the board or my amp, I'm getting a hum sound. Now granted the wiring in my house is yucky, so it could be a ground loop.  Do I need a di box?  What exactly does a di box do?  If I do need one, should I get passive or active?

Also when we do play out, as i see it, there could be  a few scenarios.  One is that I can run directly into the board, and have stereo, with the club supplying monitors. The other is that I have to run into my small roland keyboard amp (for a monitor), and then out of that to a main board.

I just want to be prepared to cover my butt in any situation.  All info deeply appreciated.

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Hookup for live shows
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »

Hey Zenfem!

I would make two suggestions-
1) that you use your own monitor amp too,no matter what else they give you to hear with.
You need to be able to get more when you need it to hear yourself without having to ask anybody. Giving up control of your dynamic headroom is quite hazardous to your groove's health. Place that little amp right in your ear so you can crank it up.

2) that you take some kind of backup sound source for when the computer sticks it's tongue out at you onstage. Extra MIDI cables too for the Zendrum.

Figure out ahead of time what happens when the power blinks.
If that means lots of reboot time, you need some acoustic percussion handy and close by.
"the show must go on..."

Try to get out front at soundcheck to hear what is coming through the front house speakers.
With diplomacy, you can get a little more consideration from the sound mixer person as a featured performer instead of an electronic thingy that can be easily buried in the mix.
If you're giving them stereo outs, there's not much for them to do except not squash your sound. Some can't resist the urge to, anyway... Two DI's cover that interface to the PA with a ground lift switch on each one.

Double check your audio cables, too. That's usually the culprit with bad buzzes.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Michael Render

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »

Most venues that hold more than 50 don't run their PAs in stereo. I would bring a single pasive DI with a ground lift. I use a Whirlwind Imp when I need a single. (I have rack mounted Whilrwind Multis when I need more) You don't need and shouldn't use active DIs in this situation. And unless there is a technical reason to do so, just send a mono signal.

The DI will split your signal into a balanced XLR and unbalanced 1/4". Send the XLR to the snake and up to the board. Send the 1/4" to your monitor. This may be a really great PA with separate monitors for drums, or it may have just one mix. Or the monitor speakers may be just plain crappy. Unless you know for certain, bring your own monitor. (Plus a backup is always a good idea)

duojet

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »

As I get closer to to gigging with my new band, I have some hookup questions.

I'm running bfd on my macbook out to a motu ultralite.   If I take the main outs of the ultralite directly into the board or my amp, I'm getting a hum sound. Now granted the wiring in my house is yucky, so it could be a ground loop.  Do I need a di box?  What exactly does a di box do?  If I do need one, should I get passive or active?

Also when we do play out, as i see it, there could be  a few scenarios.  One is that I can run directly into the board, and have stereo, with the club supplying monitors. The other is that I have to run into my small roland keyboard amp (for a monitor), and then out of that to a main board.

I just want to be prepared to cover my butt in any situation.  All info deeply appreciated.

Raven

if the motu has balanced outs , you probably dont need a di. just make sure to use TRS-TRS or TRS-XLR cables (both are balanced). Don't use unbalanced cables. Plug all power into a power conditioner (furman is a popular manufacturer).

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 04:32:56 PM »

Thanks for the really useful information!  I knew I could count on the tribe to deliver!

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up