Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound modules  (Read 1352 times)

weeksville

sound modules
« on: February 17, 2007, 10:24:21 pm »

I asked this halfway through another thread and would like to see if I can get more response.  I am trying to decide between three used modules a Roland 2080, EMU Proteus 2000 and Alesis QSR.  I am not interested in a review of the sounds.  I am more interested in how they interface with the Zendrum. Is anyone using these?   I have had an Alesis QS8 keyboard in the past so I am familiar with its architecture.  But the other two, not so much.

Michael Render

Re: sound modules
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:11:43 am »

I had the Proteus for a long time but never used it with a Zendrum. The drum/percussion patches are mostly GM mapped, so it shouldn't be a big issue there. My guess is that all these modules are going to use GM. None of these were designed as drum modules per se, so they will never be as flexible as units that were. Are there specific features you want to know about?

weeksville

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 12:46:08 pm »

Hey thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I am sure they are GM compatible.  But I have already found some limitations in the Zendrum's midi implementation.  I now use a Yamaha QY-100 as my sound module.  It uses XG format to expand its GM sound programs.  I can't access these XG sounds because the Zendrum's bank number is sent as an MSB and to get to the subprograms in XG you need to send an LSB.  Also I  see someone mentioned the Proteus 2000 has the cymbals and hi hats on one midi channel and the drums on another.  I am not sure what that means but it seems that wouldn't work since the Zendrum only transmits on one channel at a time. These are the kinds of issues I am looking for answers to.  The sounds in all of the modules are good.  As I said I am familiar with the Alesis QSR.  Everybody seems to like the Alesis stuff around here,the DM-4, DM-5 and DM-Pro.  I don't think there would be any issues with the QSR.  I just want to try something new ie Roland or EMU.

timecutter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:30:45 pm »

Greetings,

I've been using an EMU Planet Earth module and I also have an old Proteus 2500 hardware sequencer with a couple of other ROMS in it that I got for cheap 2nd hand. The 2500 has the 2000 sound palate inside along with sequencing capabilities (the front panel lights up like a Christmas tree).  I haven't explored the percussion sounds in the Proteus much.  What I've checked out so far didn't ring my bell.  I think of the proteus as chiefly a keyboard module.

The Planet Earth is a wonderful tool, though many of its sounds seem kinda flat in comparison to what can be got nowadays in software.   The Planet Earth has several GM drum kits inside it - four pretty vanilla ones, and a bunch of exotic ones (brazillian, salsa, etc) and a set of 20 "Earth" kits some of which are really choice for what I'm doing.   I've just been using my Zendrum for a few weeks, but I'm increasingly convinced that while modules can do some good stuff, software is where its all headed, or where I'm headed anyway. 

GM or no GM, it seems that these modules are laid out differently, perhaps not significantly in MIDI # mapping, but  in other ways that are significant. 

When I was waiting for my Zendrum to arrive I was asking about modules too (see other posts).  I must say, I don't recall that anyone said they were using a Proteus for percussion on a Zendrum - and the other units you cited (the 2080 and the QSR) were not frequently mentioned.  In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard of 'em.   Seems like A LOT of people are using Alesis DM-5 and DM-Pros and TD(s) from Roland.   You might want to check out some of the prior postings on this subject. 

Great good luck.

Peace & harmony.

Mark

timecutter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 08:28:49 pm »

After posting my reply below I fired up the Proteus 2500 and played it with the Zendrum.  It appears there are both GM and non-GM drum kits in the Proteus.  Seemed to work fine.  The kits I tried were pretty vanilla,some with lots of reverb, or electronica/sci fi - not an exhaustive trial by any means.  But the zendrum works fine with it. 

Mark

Michael Render

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:48:03 am »

I remember all sorts of wacky bank issues with the Proteus, but you probably would just move the programs you want the user bank.

There are patches that are just cymbals, or just toms, but there are also fully mapped kits. The Proteus has the ability to play 32 patches at the same time, so you could do some wicked layering.

As timecutter said though, it was not really designed to be a drum module, and it will have some limitations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up