Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantastic  (Read 1656 times)

weeksville

Fantastic
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »

Well it came today.  I am pleasantly surprised by this triggering device.  I had asked earlier how the triggers on this instrument felt and finally jumped feeling I would never know until I tried it.  I have only played an hour or so and this thing is pretty darn cool.  I only have a Yamaha QY-100 sequencer/sound module.  The QY does a good job (decent sounds) with external midi controllers to tweak the envelopes and stuff, but this thing takes the drum sounds over the top.  I haven't opened the manual yet.  I hope there is a way beyond holding the sustain button to prolong the note on so I can use melodic notes. It seems to send a pretty quick (almost instant) noteon/noteoff sequence.  This does sound cool with some of the quick attack string sounds but I would like to use some pads as well.   I got a feeling that this thing + QY sound module + Echoplex/FCB1010 looper are in for a some long nights together.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Fantastic
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »

Hey new Brother,
SOLUTION-
Reverse the polarity of the sustain button.
1) Toggle right cursor to (PL)
2) Press + ( display will show 0)
3) Press + and change to 1.
4) Toggle left to Pr to write into memory at power down.
Button is now a "kill" switch.
Got it?

When you take a break, read the 5 pages in the manual that mean something.
You're always welcome to call my cell phone which I will happily send you via private email.
Be happy to help you whenever you get stuck.
HAVE FUN! & Welcome to the 21st Century Techno Tribe!
Enjoy that axe,
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Tom Roady

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:09:11 PM »

I second the inspectors welcome....You are about to #1..... be absolutely amazed at the melodic response this incredible instrument has....I got into the melodic aspect very quickly. I see  you use an Echoplex...I've been a looper for years,,,first the Jam Man, then the EDP.... Echoplex Digital Pro...and now the Boss RC 50 Loopstation..I still use my EDP though...I'm into ambient/groove ...that is a lot of the material I have on my CD Zendrum: One Tribe...I really like using the Zendrum for pad/ ethereal stuff...and the #2 thing......prepare to be up for hours at night with the phones on...I highly recommend it..
have fun...."the mayor"

weeksville

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:21:11 PM »

Hey Inspector,
This is a pretty great gizmo I gotta tell ya.  The thing I am using for a module is not that sophisticated as far as controlling decay and release of sound envelopes so the wide open sustain doesn't help me much with long lasting pads.  When they are triggered, the notes just continue on and on and pile up on each other.  I am sure when I figure out which sound module I want I can tweak it to respond as I would like.  
Does anybody use anything other than dedicated drum modules out there?  I am looking at either the Roland 2080 or EMU Proteus 2000.  I am a hardware kinda guy.  That software stuff looks great but it is above my head (and wallet.) I don't interface well with computers when it comes to music. I learned my lesson when I tried to switch from a DAW to PC recording software (Cakewalk).  I think I missed the buttons.

weeksville

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »

Tom,
You posted while I was writing previous posting. Thanks for the kind words.  Checked out your website.  Very nice.....

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »

Hello and welcome.
You will get way into this the more you play it. It just gets better and better. I keep uncovering new stuff all the time. WAY COOL !!!!
Check out Emu Planet Earth and get the drum ROM installed. They are only found on Ebay now and not very often. It's a good hardware module.
Cheers,
Steve

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »

Does anybody use anything other than dedicated drum modules out there?  I am looking at either the Roland 2080 or EMU Proteus 2000.  I am a hardware kinda guy.  That software stuff looks great but it is above my head (and wallet.) I don't interface well with computers when it comes to music. I learned my lesson when I tried to switch from a DAW to PC recording software (Cakewalk).  I think I missed the buttons.

I Use a Korg Triton (not often,  I mainly use a drum module), but for melodic stuff--   I don't even mess with the switch on the Zendrum for holding notes out--  I keep the swith in regular polarity position (so it is a sustain switch),  so the notes are short--   then I just use a sustain pedal right out of the Triton,  just as you would if you were playing it as a Keyboard....

Christo

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »

I use the Roland XV-2020 half-rack module with the SRX-01 card (very nice drums) and the srx-03 card (very nice percussion + other).  With this you have all the XV sounds... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up