Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Center Drum Off  (Read 1999 times)

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Guitar Center Drum Off
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »

Hey all,

I played my ZX at the GC drum off store finale last night!  It was really fun.  Although I only played about 5 to 7 minutes, the look on everyones faces was priceless.  What really got them was when I added the percussion in with the drum kit beat.  The judges didn't even want to get up and decide the winner because they were so captivated with the Zen.  As soon as I get the video footage off of the camera, I will post a link on the forum to check out.  I say play out and as often as you can........POWER TO THE ZEN!!!!!!

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Guitar Center Drum Off
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »

Attaboy, Pocket!!!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »

Here is the link to some of the video for that night.  While at the Zendrum gathering in Atlanta, the Mayor Tom Roady mentioned that I seemed to go to the same beat every time.  After watching the video he sent me of the gathering, and the video of the GC drum off, I can really hear and see what he is talking about.  I am going to have to come up with some new beats, non the less, I had a great time and the people that attended seemed to be captivated with what I was doing.  I was using my MacBook Pro, Superior Drummer 2.0 with the Avatar kit and the Latin Percussion kit combined, my MIDIJet Pro wireless, and of course my ZX.

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnPH-FD1qeE
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »

Wow! Way to go. Rob, you done good. Great sound, great video. Ya done Zendrum proud. I guess I need more practice. Thumper
Thumper

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:34:13 AM »

Mustang Mick:

You had a post here which had a spam followup.  I deleted your post as well by accident.

Apologies.
Play nice.

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »

Well played Rob, going to try some of your setup ideas on my Zendrum.

Keep on rockin'
Mick

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 07:09:09 AM »

Really nice Rob!

Tough to do, playing solo in front of a raptured audience! You played well, and your setup with the zendrum sounded great.

Gotta go slow mo and check out some of your setup pads.

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »

If you want I can put it in power point or a picture format and send you how I have my pads laid out.  I am using Superior Drummer 2.0 so I am not using the crossfade feature with my ZX, I have layered the sounds using SD2.  When I went down to Atlanta for "The Gathering", one main point that came up is that just about everyone that was there used the default setup and learned to play their Zen with that setup.  A few of them have tried to switch their pads assignments around to make them like mine but have gotten used to playing with the default, it became hard to adjust to the new settings.  I changed my pad assignments around the first two weeks that I started playing to compensate for what my fingers were doing and found myself using my thumb on my right hand and my pointer and middle finger on my left for most of the movements.  So I adjusted accordingly which has allowed me to play the way I do.  I have tried to play using the default setting on the ZX, number 15 and 16, and I am lost.  I am set in the way that I play and to be honest, it works for me so I will probably stick with what I have and add on as I go, but my main kit pads will never change.  Let me know if you want the picture of my pad assignments and how I have certain ones crossfaded and I will put it up for you.

Rob

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »

Wow. really?  I've never used the default setup.  I might have to look in to that.
Play nice.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »

Was thinking the same thing :)

The defaults were so alien to any notion I had of how to approach the instrument.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »

Ok. Here is my 2 cents. When I went to Zendrum HQ and purchased my baby, my question was, about the mapping. (seems to be a popular question) And inspector said, well this is how I thought it would work the best for everyone. So I learned to use the default setting and made a swith to a pad or two. I was thinking, it was the best way to decrease the learning curve. So I went back to Zendrum HQ a year or so later and watched 109 play and I burst out and said to David,"Hey, that is not your regular mapping" what is that?  His response to me was that he saw someone elses mapping and liked it so he switched. There you go !! It is so dynamic and unlimited. It is what makes this such an art form. Our friends Kim Daniel and Tom Roady are playing melodic stuff with their Zendrums.  We are talking about banjos, as well as voices. I have been messing around with keyboard synthesizers. It is so amazing. I really appreciate seeing what other folks are doing. I am trying to appreciate what other people are doing with their mapping and I try to get my head around it. Here is the new solution. If you are stuck in your mapping and are afraid to change, think about upgrading to the Z4 and add a few more triggers. That is a really good option.

Also, I was fortunate to watch Rob (pocketmaster) Anderson play live, and he is really amazing. If he upgrades to the Z4 and adds triggers, he might cause a power outage in St. Louis, MO. :)

DrShark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »

Good thing I am a emergency generator guy for the Air Force, I will always have power for my Zen.  Thanks for the words Dr.

Rob

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »

I never looked at the default mapping either. I just put my hands on it and tried to figure out what was natural for me to get the sounds and playability that I wanted. Right from the beginning I decided that I was going to play Zendrum with 2 hands and not use my feet as I wanted to be mobile , so that why I set up what was comfortable for me. I did however allow myself to change mappings over the next couple of weeks/months to better fit what I was trying to do. It is not written in stone that you have to do it a certain way. When we were in Atlanta at the Gathering it was very interesting to see others with their own setups and I don't think that one of them were the same. I know that each one of us is more than happy to help newbies anyway we can to make it easier for them as we have made plenty of our own mistakes learning , but that is 1/2 the fun. Right Pyrate?  ;D  Only kidding, I am having my own issues with going the software route. Mostly self inflicted Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:39 AM »

Software is not for everyone.  With a drum module you don't have to worry about the things you would with a computer.  The operating system, the program, the machine itself.  With a module, you plug it in, turn it on, and you play.  I was having a problem (still not resolved) while I was at the "gathering" in Atlanta regarding my software.  I use Superior Drummer 2.0, but that programs needs a "host" program to run.  The programs comes with another program called Solo that allows you to run SD2 without using programs like Ableton, Pro Tools, GarageBand.  In my case, Solo crashed and would not run which prevented me to run SD2.  Fortunately, "The Mayor" Tom Roady was there and saved the day for me by loading GarageBand (I am using a MacBook Pro so it comes standard) and was able to load SD2 as a VST within Garageband.  Works great!  The only problem at that point was all of my drum kits that I had saved were saved as Solo program files and could not be loaded into SD2 while using GarageBand.  I have since learned to save the files within SD2, since then I have had no issues.  Bottom line, you wouldn't have these issues with a drum module.  But as for me, I wouldn't trade my SD2 for a drum module except in an emergency if my computer were to stop working.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye recently received an offer to purchase EZ Drummer for only $30.  The setup was fairly easy, but like SD2, it requires a host.  Me Presonus USB Audio Interface came with Studio One Lite that seems better than Solo.  Apparently though, the Studio Obne is also a lite version and does not allow me to import me BFD2 VST instruments.  And Aye am finding that once you purchase software (EZDrummer, SD2, BFD2, etc.) ye have purchase all kinds of expansion packs, host programs, a new MACBOOK Pro, with expanded memory, faster harddrive and processor.  It be almost driving me to the bank for a mortgage on all this bilge weight.  Arrrgghhhhh!!!!  Over the course of time, Aye will get the hang of it.  Aye be a stubborn sort.  In the meantime, to play me Jolly Roger ZX, I will stick to me tried and true Roland TD-20.  Aye do intend to get a Z4 board early next year, but Aye haven't yet decided to go internal or external wireless.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up