Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handling or Accepting Crosstalk  (Read 581 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Handling or Accepting Crosstalk
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:53:23 AM »

Anybody have a problem on a Z4 where when your floor is real low, ypu get some crostalk, but it only occurs on certain modules?

It would seem some modules impose their own unspecified floor.  On my DM10, sometims my hi hat also triggers the bass nexto to it.

The funny thing is, it only happens on fairly heavy hi hat hits, and I actually kind of like the extra punch it gives, so now I'm debating whether or not to bother fixing it.

Any one else find some levels of crosstalk "acceptable"?

Play nice.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Handling or Accepting Crosstalk
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:34:12 AM »

My experience is that it is totally dependent on the polyphony of the sound box.
The only real noticeable issue comes when you can hear cymbals chop off.
The "ghost notes" are important in realistic kit playing, so there's a sweet spot somewhere that must be found for natural and intuitive touch.
I tend to get a whole lot more animated and ham-handed onstage than when I'm programming at home with the lightest touch through the studio monitors. Going through PA speakers and playing rock will bring out the Bonham every time. No one hears the drop strokes with a band roaring around you anyway (just like acoustic drums), it's more of a "feel" or swing thing that makes the music breathe.
For studio work, I tend to lighten up and lower the FL by a number or two because I can hear the grace notes.
All the little nuances come out in recordings. My live settings are somewhere between 9 and 12 depending on the kit sound I'm using.
Use your ears. If it's cool, keep it there.
Always experiment, never settle. Push what the gear and your hands can do.
I'm still learning after 20 years of Zendrumming, especially now with the Z4!
I almost felt like I had to begin again because there was so much more in the middle dynamic range that I had to retrain my hands to get comfortable and consistant.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up