Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCI Express Firewire cards and BFD 2.0  (Read 2461 times)

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
PCI Express Firewire cards and BFD 2.0
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:14:49 PM »

Ok boys and girls, it has been a LONG TIME since I have been here. Anyway, in the "World-o-Zen", I jumped on the Grenade and got BFD 2, and recently just got the BFD Percussion pack.  I am running the BFD Compliment on an ISUS "Gaming" laptop, with a 2.5 GHz Duo-Core processor, 4GB of RAM, using Windows 7 Professional.  I also got a M-Audio Pro-Fire 610 "firewire" audio/midi interface. for the sound and midi portion.

OK, so DAY ONE! I get everything loaded, set-up, hooked up, etc. LIFE IS REAL GOOD, I am saying to myself.... "Alesis DM-.....?"  the happy scale was an 8 out of 10. I rated it an 8 because I was hearing "computer noise" coming through the audio interface.  ANyway, I got past it and went and did a gig, which went VERY WELL. Also did a  rehearsal or two after that was things were ok. The other thing is I also have virtual instruments loaded on this, and there was NO NOISE at all coming from the interface.

Ok so recently I purchased BFD Percussion, for an upcoming gig I am doing. I set everything up at rehearsal, and as I hit triggers I hear conga/snap/crackle/etc.  after getting it home I started checking the "buffering rates" and I noticed some improvements, though after a short period of time, the audio would completely cut out and I would lose MIDI control. If I switched the audio to the speakers on the PC, and left the MIDI control with the PRO-Fire, it would work again. I would then close BFD and re-open the program again, and the same things would repeat themselves.

I am wondering if the PCI EXPRESS Firewire card is the issue? I am picking up another M-Audio USB module to see if this fixes the prolem, which I am hoping it does. Any feedback from the masses would be appreciated. thanks, again, hope everyone is doing good. Until next time...

Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: PCI Express Firewire cards and BFD 2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »

I too use a "gaming" notebook for BFD2.  A couple of random thoughts in no particular order, hope they help.

• I specifically got one with two internal drives, so that one can be used exclusively for streaming samples from.
  • The drives are 7200 rpm -- anything less is asking for drop-outs.
  • I use an external Firewire interface (Presonus FirePod, sometimes FP-10) to offload the audio processing.
  • I had to snip off the ground pin from the laptops' power brick to eliminate a nasty hum problem.

HTH
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »

Hi Mark,

How do you have your PC, Audio/MIDI, and data for BFD2 hooked up.  What plugs into what?

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »

John in this order, Zendrum, MIDI-Jet Pro (TX), MIDI-Jet Pro (RX), to M-Audio ProFire 610 via firewire cable to PCI Express card to Laptop.

Again when I first hooked it up and played out it worked GREAT.  I was working with the buffering settings and got things to work, but then afterwards the "audio" part stopped working, but the midi part still functioned. if I closed out BFD or any of the "virtual instruments" and re-opened the program it would work for a short period then stop working again. I could use the midi side of the ProFire and re-route the audio to the PC audio and that would work.

So... what was the quick fix you ask.... I went out and picked up a USB M-Audio interface (Fast Track Pro). WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!  The only real inconvenience is that with this whole "ASIO" thing I can only run one thing (BFD, Virtual instrument) per interface. I am dedicationg the ASIO driver for BFD. Running a virtual instrument through the PC Audio out is ok, but finding a happy medium as far as "buffering" with virtusal instruments go is a pain in the ass and not reliable.  If you know something about the PCI Express card, etc. would love to hear about it, otherwise I will sell it. Until next time...

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »

You didn't mention how you hook up your data drive.  At first, were you going through the Pro Fire 610 with the drive chained to it via FW400?  (Never do that!)  It is important to note that you want to have a separate buss for your external drive.  Many laptop computers don't explain the buss structure.

If you want to run BFD2 and another VST instrument..... Have you considered using a host program.  That would keep things all nice a neat inside one program and allow you to send it all out to Fast Track Pro.

John
John Emrich

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 06:10:16 PM »

John, my appologies for the confusion. The laptop has a 300+ GB hard drive that is partitioned in half. Another question for you. Any reason I would be hearing "computer noise " only when using BFD?

My definition of noise would static type noise I.e. when the drive spins, etc. Thanks,  Mark

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »

Hi Mark,

FXpansion recommends using a seperate hard drive for the data.  A partitioned drive is still fighting for the same processing power because it is not on a different buss.  All of your programs are tasking the same drive.   That might explain a lot of the issues and noises that you are having.

Now that you have a new audio IO, I would invest in a FW drive for your data.  Make sure it runs at 7200 rpm.

John
John Emrich

duojet

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »

try defragmenting the drive where you have the samples. try increasing the buffer in BFD. If that doesn't work try temporarily disabling firewall and antivirus (if you have it installed). some firewall/antivirus programs are more intrusive than others.

michel102

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:04:55 AM »

Ok boys and girls, it has been a LONG TIME since I have been here. Anyway, in the "World-o-Zen", I jumped on the Grenade and got BFD 2, and recently just got the BFD Percussion pack.  I am running the BFD Compliment on an ISUS "Gaming" laptop, with a 2.5 GHz Duo-Core processor, 4GB of RAM, using Windows 7 Professional.  I also got a M-Audio Pro-Fire 610 "firewire" audio/midi interface. for the sound and midi portion.

OK, so DAY ONE! I get everything loaded, set-up, hooked up, etc. LIFE IS REAL GOOD, I am saying to myself.... "Alesis DM-.....?"  the happy scale was an 8 out of 10. I rated it an 8 because I was hearing "computer noise" coming through the audio interface.  ANyway, I got past it and went and did a gig, which went VERY WELL. Also did a  rehearsal or two after that was things were ok. The other thing is I also have virtual instruments loaded on this, and there was NO NOISE at all coming from the interface.

Ok so recently I purchased BFD Percussion, for an upcoming gig I am doing. I set everything up at rehearsal, and as I hit triggers I hear conga/snap/crackle/etc.  after getting it home I started checking the "buffering rates" and I noticed some improvements, though after a short period of time, the audio would completely cut out and I would lose MIDI control. If I switched the audio to the speakers on the PC, and left the MIDI control with the PRO-Fire, it would work again. I would then close BFD and re-open the program again, and the same things would repeat themselves.

I am wondering if the PCI EXPRESS Firewire card is the issue? I am picking up another M-Audio USB module to see if this fixes the prolem, which I am hoping it does. Any feedback from the masses would be appreciated. thanks, again, hope everyone is doing good. Until next time...

Hi Firemusician, I want to give some information about PCI Express Firewire cards and BFD 2.0..Expand your connectivity and save PCI Express (PCI-e) slots with this USB 2.0/FireWire 800 PCIe card from Sonnet Technologies!I use a pci express card (with 2 FireWire slots) on my laptop and an external harddrive with Firewire. Well at least I try... Windows 7 Ultimate x64 manages to recognize my external drive, but after copying some bigger files the data transfer speed dops to zero and I can't abort the copying process. So it's more or less stuck until I unplug my drive.
# Simple way to add more high-speed FireWire 800 and USB 2.0 ports to any compatible computer
# Provides fast interface to download videos from your digital camcorder, transfer files to external drives, and more
# Easy installation—plug and play—no drivers to install
# Backward-compatible with all FireWire 400 and USB 1.1 devices

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:08:51 AM by michel102 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up