Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software Arrrgghhhh  (Read 2019 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Software Arrrgghhhh
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »

Avast Thar Mateys,

The Olde Pyrate be gettin frustrated with this software drim thingy.  Aye got a very good deal at me local Guitar Center for a full version of EZDrummer (only $29.99). Aye already had EZDrummer Lite which came with me Presonus USB audio interface.  Aye liked the sounds that it had and it did not seem to have the same latency and echoing of sounds that BFD seems to have on me system.  Aye do admit Aye prefer the BFD2 interface and ease of setup.  But Aye digress.  Upon installation of the full EZDrummer package, Aye could not get any sounds out of me system.  As Toontrack be not having a tech support phone line in the US of A, Aye sent them an email explaining the issue.  Aye admit they responded within  24 hours.  However, Aye had already figured that me ASIO sound drivers be corrupted and reloaded them from the Presonus website.  That solved the problem.  Documentation on EZDrummer also be sorely lacking.  Toontrack provides a host program called Solo, which allows ye to run the EZdrummer program inside of it.  This be working fine, except Aye cannot access any of the sounds from my BFD sound files.  Also, in remembering some things that Mr. Wizard had mentioned to me when discussing BFD2, he suggested Aye open it within another host program such as DAW.  As it happens, one of the programs I acquired in me travels is Studio One.  Aye can load Studio One, Aye can set it up, Aywe can provide paths to me sound files, etc. ad nauseum.  Aye can open the Midi Monitor and Aye can see the midi messages flowing nicely from the Jolly Roger ZX, but (here be the frustrating part), I can hear no sounds and neither the EZDrummer nor the BFD2 GUIs appear.  This almost be enough to make this Olde Pyrate stick to me TD-20 or maybe acquire an Alesis DM-10.  There must be a class that someone Olde like meself can take to learn about all this bilgewater.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Software Arrrgghhhh
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:42:16 pm »

I suggest you get with DrShark.  He has started using Superior Drummer 2.0 (EZDrummer on Steroids) with his Open Labs and a Laptop as well.  He is using Ableton as his host and I am sure there is a trick you need to do to ensure your host is using the correct audio drivers.  I am using SD2 as well but on a MacBook Pro and I love it.  The kits that I have are ready to play right out of the box, no tweaking is needed and the sounds are great.  Toontrack has great tech support (at least with the issues that I have had).  Another good source is the Mayor himself Tom Roady, he uses EZDrummer more than SD2 and knows all kinds of tricks.  If you guys are looking, help the old pyrate off the plank and back into the boat.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:14:19 pm »

Are you loading EZ and BFD2 as VST instruments in Studio One?  Once they are loaded you just line up the MIDI channels and hit record engage and you should hear the programs.

When you set up your Studio One, make sure that you are targeting the correct MIDI interface.

Stay with it Pyrate.  You are real close.  You just need to focus on Studio One and loading the drum programs as VST instruments.  Check for any video tutorials on loading VSTs into Studio One.

Here is a quote from their forum on loading in new VST instruments

" Just create an new instrument track in the arrangement (either use the new track button, or right click in the left pane to create a new instrument track). After you have an empty instrument track, select the VST in the track header on the left side of the track (where the trackname and mute / solo buttons are)."

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:37:35 pm »

Pyrate,

Go to the website www.groove3.com, there are videos that you can purchase that will explain how to run BFD and SD2 (EZDrummer) with all types of applications like Ableton, Garageband, Pro Tools, and so on.  Dr. Shark put me on to that website and the video that I have been watching for SD2 has a lot of information to include how to use it with other applications as a VST.

Just some FYI.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:52:06 pm »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Me thanks to you all for the assist.  Aye will try to put the advice to good use and follow up with what happens.

Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »

Besides trying to master the Zendrum, last week I also tried to get my head around VSTs. I managed to load BFDeco and EZdrummer on my Dell notebook and hooked it up to the ZX using a USB-MIDI cable and  both worked almost perfectly out of the box. A few trigger assignments were not quite what I expected, but overall, it was fairly easy. Of course, I'm nowhere near doing the layering multi-sample triggering of which the Z4 is capable, but for anyone keen to take the VST route, I'd say: give it a go.
Next, I'd love to try and get some of the complexity John Emrich achieves on his videos - but that will take a bit of work.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:08:14 pm by digitalDrummer »

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:12:33 pm »

But just think of what power you will have behind you when you do master the Zendrum, layering the sounds on different triggers, triggering samples and sequences with the tap of a pad at a certain velocity, even control lighting if you have a lighting controller that will accept signals from the ZD.  I am somewhat of a computer geek so I am falling right in with using my MacBook Pro and going the software route.  I have a Roland module and have contemplated breaking that back out again after I upgrade and maybe getting the Zenedit program to see what kind of damage I can do with it.  I really do like the sound quality that I am getting with the software I am using though.

Rob

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »

Ah yes, Zenedit is next on my shopping list....

Slavedave

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 03:01:34 am »

Pyrate,
It sounds like a small step to getting it all working,
I use SD2 (and have used BFDlite, EZD, Battery and other drum vsti's with my laptop). 
To get you up and making some noise - start with Toontrack Solo again.   I know you have it working but it won't hurt to record it here for posterity (and other users).  And note that you will ONLY be able to play Toontrack products via the Solo interface - it won't host BFD etc.
- Open up Solo, you need to tell it where to find your files when you first open it ( a pop-up box appears - in the bottom half there is an option to set the path for your vst plugin for SD.)  Identify where your .dll file is for SD VST - if you let SD setup dictate where this was it may be under the directory on your drive for Toontrack, nestling in a subdirectory.  Alternatively, if you already have vst plugins you may have installed the .dll in there, so choose that as the option.
Solo opens with the default kit.  Now go to make your default midi & audio settings.
- Open the Midi dropdown menu at the top and select your controller.  Leave the channel set on Omni so it piicks up any midi input.
- Open the Audio tab.  Select your interfaces option (presonus).  For channels, stick with just 1+2 as the option, keeping it as simple as possible for now.  For latency settings, start with 512 and see how you get on.  You can gradually reduce it once you have some noises going on.  For the mixer, you can open up the interface and see that the mute button is not checked (it shouldn't be) and that the channel input is set to Omni still by clicking on the arrowed dropdown menu under the level meter.
If you hit on a pad, you should see the level meter changing and should hear a noise (but hit several pads to make sure that the trigger is assigned to a sound in Solo just in case).

Now for your vst host programme.
Open it up and look for the audio and midi preferences tabs.  Most have them in the "options" or "preferences" tabs somewher in the title bar.  Follow the same kind of logic that we have applied to using Solo above.  Ensure that midi input is set to omni wherever possible to start with.  In the audio settings, look for a description that includes your interfaces name and also indicates the output channels -remember what this says,
Open up your drum plugin.  With ezdrummer, when it is loaded, mouseclick on a drum pad and see if you hear any noise.  If yes, then you can try drumming on the zen.  if you still hear noise - happy days!. Configure your pads and dwell in sonic nirvana.
However, if you can hear noise when you click on a pad with your mouse but not when you play your zen then the plugin is not receiving midi siganls.  in the channel options that the plug in is inserted into, click on the midi tabs and make sure that they are set to receive midi throughyour midi interface and via the Omni setting.  Play the zen again - it should work now.
If you see the channel meter now moving but don't get any audio then the output for audio needs configuring correctly. In the channel strip options, there should be a setting to choose audio device and audio channels.  Make sure htese are set to the same settings that you configured for the host programme in the Main Preferences /Options pages..  now try again, you should now hear sound as you play your zen.
See how you go with this.  Save your setting with the project!
if this still doesn't work, don't give up.  Just exit the programme, reboot the pc and start your host programme again.  Some software is fussy and needs to be exclusively open to make things happen correctly.  Check all the above again and then try playing.
All the best - it will definitely be worth it in the end.  Persevere, me heartie!

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 03:54:30 am »

Avast Thar SlaveDave,

Me thanks to you sir!  Ye are a scholar, a gentleman and a fine judge of alcoholic spirits.  Having this written down be of great assistance indeed.

Pyrate

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:05 pm »

Avast Thar Mateys,

After many attempts at trying to make BFD work, and with the able assistance of Mr. Wizard, Zendrumdude and a cast of thousands. methnks Aye finally have this blasted software working properly. The real test willk be if Aye ever take this contraption on the road. Aye will also have to now learn to control me fingers so that they don't hit the Jolly Roger Zen's pads so hard.  BFD seems to be extremely sensitive, much more so than me TD-20.  Next on the agenda is a Z4/pad upgrade with wireless.

Me thanks to all that helped me get to this point.

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 10:01:10 am »

P,

I am so happy to hear it man.  Good work, I know it's hard not to throw the whole shebang out the window sometimes when you're learning new gear... your perseverance shows that ol' pirate spirit!

Jer

:> :(<: (best I could do for a "skull & crossbones" jolly roger smiley)
Pages: [1]   Go Up