Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Zendrum with Reason Drum Kits 2.0  (Read 2281 times)

tsteak

Using Zendrum with Reason Drum Kits 2.0
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

Hey people,
I just received my Zendrum laptop; it's beautiful, it's awesome, the sensitivity of the triggers is fantastic, I love it! The only problem is that when I try to use it in conjunction with Reason 3.0, it will only trigger the sounds about 1 out of 10 hits! There is also a pretty substantial latency problem on top of this, and the sounds will be played a second or two later.
It's strange, because on the MIDI hardware component at the top of the virtual rack in Reason, I can see the MIDI light flashing every single time I so much as brush the triggers, so it's definitely getting a signal from the Zendrum. It actually doesn't work too poorly when I'm using a more simple instrument like the Redrum, but when I'm using Reason Drum Kits 2.0, that's when the triggering becomes extremely incosistent and the latency is very noticeable.
Any ideas, tips, or suggestions as to what I can do to solve this problem?

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: Using Zendrum with Reason Drum Kits 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 06:04:34 pm »

What kind of computer setup are you using? 

It sounds like  a very bad latency issue.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

duojet

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 06:46:18 pm »

Hey people,
I just received my Zendrum laptop; it's beautiful, it's awesome, the sensitivity of the triggers is fantastic, I love it! The only problem is that when I try to use it in conjunction with Reason 3.0, it will only trigger the sounds about 1 out of 10 hits! There is also a pretty substantial latency problem on top of this, and the sounds will be played a second or two later.
It's strange, because on the MIDI hardware component at the top of the virtual rack in Reason, I can see the MIDI light flashing every single time I so much as brush the triggers, so it's definitely getting a signal from the Zendrum. It actually doesn't work too poorly when I'm using a more simple instrument like the Redrum, but when I'm using Reason Drum Kits 2.0, that's when the triggering becomes extremely incosistent and the latency is very noticeable.
Any ideas, tips, or suggestions as to what I can do to solve this problem?

1. change the polarity on the zendrum
2. change your asio, wdm or whatever driver setting within reason (i'm not too familiar with reason). it should be something below 10ms preferably below 6ms

tsteak

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:10:45 pm »

I am using a Dell Dimension XPS with 3.2 Ghz and 2 GB of RAM. I am running the Zendrum through an M-Audio Firewire 410. I have tweaked all sorts of parameters within the Reason 3.0 preferences, but Reason Drum Kits is still virtually unusable because of extreme latency. Any settings I should alter on my computer itself to try to correct this issue?

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 01:15:35 am »

have you increased the output latency setting?  that usually results in popping or degredation of the sound but can also cause a distict latency sound it is usually set pretty low on default settings if I remember but it's been a while since I tried it try adjsuting these latency settings since they depend on the audio card and pc speed to work

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:19:40 am by retro surfer »
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:26:22 am »

I'm not a MIDI expert by any means but it may be that Reason doesn't pick up the very short trigger signals from a Zendrum as well as a module? I had great difficulty using Reason with the Zendrum too.

Mick

Alexei

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:57:12 am »

Just look previous topic - same story with RMX, you can try MidiOX to delay Noteoff signal from Zendrum
Alexei

subgiant

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:09:31 am »

If it helps I also get delay in Reason 3.5.  However not used it with a zendrum (since I only got this 3 hours ago) but I used it once with my Yamaha DTX and the delay was unusable. Now to make matters worse I've used audio out from my DTX (no delay) into the mac, through logic and out through the sound card and there is also a delay. I'll keep you posted as I experiment but I'm beginning to suspect it's the sound card that is causing my delay.

alexCSP

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 09:28:14 pm »

I had this exact issue and it was definitely NOT a latency issue. As long as Reason is using your ASIO drivers, your latency should be very similar across audio applications.

I managed to fix this problem by reversing the polarity of the sustain switch. The only caveat is that I had to reverse it, hit a few pads, reverse it again, hit a few pads, and then reverse it again. Why? - I have no idea, but it worked for me.

<offtopic>

I am someone that deals with tech issues everyday, and this is the first time in my life that I have solved something by reversing the polarity. As a kid I adored Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who managed to solve every problem by reversing the polarity on some device!
Pages: [1]   Go Up