Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assigning a Kick Sound to Cymbal TD-12 / 20  (Read 1304 times)

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
Assigning a Kick Sound to Cymbal TD-12 / 20
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »

This question was asked to me a couple of times,  so I figured I would post it here and it can be out there for those who might be interested --  There's a way of "layering" a kick sound (or any sounds really) on the TD-12 or TD-20,  so you can get a "kick" along with your crash sound which you play (or should I say,  I play) 90-some percent of the time anyway (again,  really any sound layered with any sound)-- --  speaking of anyway --  here ya go all you fellow TD'ers --

_____

The Tap feature is a cool way to add a kick to your cymbal sounds w/o hogging up another trigger --  and opens a few doors to the possibilities of putting cymbals where you want them on your Zen--  as oppesd to always having to be right next to a kick drum….

Ok--  here you go:

Hit PATTERN > then NEW (F5),  then FUNCTION (F3)- (lets just say its patter 155) then I name it, then exit.

Hit SET UP (F1), Set Pattern length to 1, the hit the record button.  I set the quantize to and 8th note, then when ready hit the blinking green play button.  I hit a kick drum on the downbeat after the 4 count off clicks….   Then hit STOP.  Be precise in recording it right on the downbeat.

Then I go back and hit FUNCTION (F3),  and double check it is still on Pattern length = 1.  (not sure if that even matters,  but I do it.)

Then Hit TYPE (F2),  and set play type to TAP (important!)

Then go back out (hit KIT), ,  then hit INST. Button, turn off the HEAD & Rim feature (F5) so it isn’t hi-lighted)—then hit whatever cymbal you want to assign the pattern to.

Then hit CONTROL (F4),  and assign PadPtn (remember 155 as our example) or whatever pattern you used…..    Viola --  you should have a kick sound along with that cymbal!!   

Mike

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Assigning a Kick Sound to Cymbal TD-12 / 20
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:55:30 AM »

Thank you Brother Mike!

On the Alesis DMPro, you just toggle "Drum Link" to accomplish the same effect, and use a MIDI note number that's not being triggered for the extra sound.

Good tip!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:38:45 AM »

Avast thar!!!!

Another fine TD-20 tip that I can make use of.  Oustanding!!!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:57:27 AM »

No Problem,  anything to help out some fellow Zendrummers!

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 06:42:26 AM »

This is now on the Calendar link that's kind of under the search bar that never really had a use.
Play nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up