Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on setting up the Zendrum to trigger percussion samples  (Read 2628 times)

STRUT

I am interested in having the Zendrum (still deciding on either the LT or the ZX) trigger Vir2 World Impact Global Percussion:
http://www.vir2.com/instruments/world-impact-global-percussion

Scott at Vir2 informed me the following:

"As long as the Zendrum allows you to assign specific pitches to each pad, you'll be able to assign any sound from World Impact to a pad.  The key mapping in World Impact is not editable, that is why it must be done from the Zendrum".
Based on this, my two questions are:

1. Does the Zendrum allow one to assign specific pitches to each pad?? I am assuming this would be the same as assigning multiple samples to one pad and having them velocity dependent (the harder/softer you hit triggers a different sound)?

2. Scott mentions the key mapping in World Impact is not editable so by this I am understanding it as IE: Bongos are assigned to C1-F#1, congas to G1-C2 etc. and cannot be changed . With this undertanding, can the Zendrum itself allow one to assign any MIDI note to any pad or is it also not editable?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Question on setting up the Zendrum to trigger percussion samples
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:37:22 PM »

Yes, you absolutely can assign any midi note value (pitch) to any trigger (pad).  Each trigger also has a "cross fade" feature which allows you to have up to 4 different samples assigned, each that covers a specific velocity range.  So for instance, you can have a muted conga sample on a pad for light to moderate playing, and then an open tone when you really whack the trigger -- or a snare sound that becomes a rim shot as you near the maximum velocity, etc.

Since the mappings on the VST end are fixed though, you'll need ZenEdit (http://nebiru.com/zenedit/) to be able to setup cross fades in any meaningful way -- not to mention all the other niceties that ZenEdit brings to the table.  ;D
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

STRUT

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:05:31 PM »

Thanks for the info Drumwagon.

you'll need ZenEdit
This is a bit of a turn off. It's already costing me over 2 grand to get a wireless Zendrum and now i have to shell out another $100 to be able to change which pad gets assigned to a specific MIDI note (which is mainly what I would be doing to work with Global Percussion VST).
The cross fading thing is cool and I could definitely see me using it but man.....every little bit adds up. Not to mention the Global Percussion VST is $400.
I personally feel the software should come included with the Zendrum. I know that sound ungrateful considering the hard work it takes to code such a program but at the same time, these really are basics that a controller should come with out of the box.
Anyhow.....one option I can do is hold off on the wireless and purchase it later but then that would mean shipping costs to send the zendrum for an internal wireless installation, unless it is something one can do themselves (where the internal wireless components are shipped to me and I set it up myself)?

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »

To be clear, you can program individual pads with your Zendrum alone, no software is required for that.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

STRUT

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »

To be clear, you can program individual pads with your Zendrum alone, no software is required for that.

Sorry, I am unclear on this. What exactly do you mean by "individual"? Do you mean only one pad can be assigned at a time w/o the software Vs. having the ability to assign multiple pads simultaneously *with* the software or do you mean each pad is individual in that it can contain only *one* sound (as opposed to the crossfading feature within Zenedit)?

Something tells me I am making this more difficult than it really is-lol.

Basically, as long as I am able to assign any pad to any MIDI note *without* the software (directly just using the Zendrum), then I am good to go.
So as an example, if within the World Percussion VST, a "conga drum mute" is set to C1 I hit whichever pad I want to trigger the "conga drum mute" sample and assign it to C1, all within the Zendrum. As far as velocity settings, that would be done within the software.
If I am understanding this correctly, if I want to assign *multiple* sounds to *one* pad, then that would be crossfading which is possible but only via the Zendedit software. Is this correct?

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »

Avast Thar Matey:

Something ye should know is that the Zendrum and Zenedit software were dveloped by different folks.  The fine folks at Zendrum developed the midi controller that we all know and love and rave about, savvy?  And they provide outstanding customer support for their creations which are akin to works of art as well as functional intruments.  Drum Wagon, as almost a courtesy to his fellow zendrummers developed Zenedit, to make editing the more complex parameters of the Z4 zendrums easier.  For all of his effort he is asking a modest sum for which he provides excellent support as well.  To say the software should be included in the price of the zendrum is to deny the fine efforts of a whole bunch of great people and two separate organizations.  Your choice to play percussion sounds on your zendrum and the choice of software ye choose to use be just that; your choice.  Ye could do the same thing using a hardware alternative (Alesis, Roland, Boss, etc.) or a different software program (BFD, Superior Drummer, Garage Band, etc.). 

Regarding the expense, all of we have had to make certain decisions and sacrifices to play this wonderful instrument.  Sometimes those choices mean spending an extra Franklin or three.  It all be part of the honor and pleasure of being a musician.

Ye have opicked a fine instrument in the Zendrum so don't short yeself now on what in the end be trivial matters.  In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.

Aye hop this helps ye!

Drum Wagon - A fine job ye did on Zenedit.  Aye hopes to be abkle to take advantage in the near future when the Jolly Roger Zendrum be upgraded to Version 4.
Inspector 109 - Me condiments to you and Kim and Gina and the rest of the Zendrum staff.  BZ.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

STRUT

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »

Drum Wagon, as almost a courtesy to his fellow zendrummers developed Zenedit
Oh wow! Had I known I would have saved the bitching-lol! As I stated even w/o knowing who had made the program, i know it makes me sound ungrateful stating that the software should be inclusive considering it takes time and effort to make software applications. In all honesty, I feel that there are certain things that should come "out of the box" for certain products. Now that I have a better understanding (i think) of how the Zendrum works, It seems that it *can* do basic MIDI setups sans any software. I know Zenedit is worth the money, it'll just have to wait for the time being.

Your choice to play percussion sounds on your zendrum and the choice of software ye choose to use be just that; your choice.  Ye could do the same thing using a hardware alternative
Have you seen what's included in the Global Percussion pack? Click on the link and then select the "Instruments" tab.
http://www.vir2.com/instruments/world-impact-global-percussion.
If you can find me a hardware equivalent I'll join your pirate crew.  :D
As far as drums sounds, i always found the hardware E drum modules to sound a bit weak. I'll be using Addictive drums. However, again, if you can recommend a hardware module that has great sounding acoustic drums, I'm open to checking it out. I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers!

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »

To everyone who has contributed to this collective effort over the last nineteen years, we say- THANKS.
For all of you who send good will and well wishes here, we say- bless your heart.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:15 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Regarding the question of hardware modules and great sounds coming from them, personally, Aye have found that me Roland TD-20 performs quite well.  And while I haven't tried it, Aye understand the new Alesis DM-10 (there be another thread on this site somewhere regarding this module) is even better.  Will they match the level of Addictive Drums or any other software, that be up to the individual user.  Aye have been fooling around with BFD2 for a couple of months and have found that Aye still go back to me TD-20.

Now if you would just use this here knife to cut ye finger and sign this here Pyrate contract in blood, all will be well.

Hope this helps.

Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

STRUT

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »

Now if you would just use this here knife to cut ye finger and sign this here Pyrate contract in blood, all will be well.
I don't have fingers, only tentacles. I'm that Octopus creature they've been warning you about.  8) What was this contract you wanted me to sign? I have special ink for that.

And that Alesis DM10 looks sweet! Now to hear it. I wonder if they sell the drum module alone.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »

We are having a Zendrum get together on the 27th and 28th in Atlanta, GA.  Not sure where you live or if you would be able to attend, but there will be many Zendrums and modules to look at and give you a better idea of what others are doing with their setups.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

STRUT

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »

Oh man that get together would have been perfect to get a feel for which Zendrum to buy. I'm in California so it's a bit of a long walk.  ;D
Good looking out though!

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Yes, ye can acquire the DM-10 separately.  Amamzon sells it for $699 if Aye remember properly.

Pyrate
Pages: [1]   Go Up