Zendrum Stuff > I don't have a Zendrum, but...

Some MORE questions on wireless from noob

(1/4) > >>

STRUT:
OK, I have never used wireless anything so bare with me on the noob questions.

1. I would be triggering sounds via software so my question is, with an internal wireless setup, what gets connected to my audio interface? With non wireless, I connect the MIDI out of the Zendrum to the MIDI in of my interface but with wireless, what exactly gets connected to the MIDI in port of my Soundcard?

2.  I see there's the option to get the MIDIJet Pro wireless system External *or* the Internal wireless system with shared 9V battery box installed. Am I correct with this assumption or do I need the MIDIjet external system regardless to work with the internal one? Is this external box the mediator between the Zendrum and my soundcard?

Sorry if my questions may be lacking some sense somewhere but again, I am a complete noob to wireless.

3. What's the distance one can travel away from the gear when using the wireless? Is either the external or internal wireless better as far as distance? Or is one better than the other for any reason(s)?

4. I assume I can install the wireless on ANY Zendrum or is it exclusive to the ZI-09? This seems obvious to me being that the option for wireless is available in the accessories section but I just want to play dumb and double check.

I really appreciate the patience with the noob questions and say thanks in advance!

Pocket Master:
I am using the external MIDI Jet Pro wireless system.  You have a transmitter and a receiver.  The transmitter is plugged into the Zendrum and then the receiver would plug into your sound device (computer, sound module, and so on)  The internal wireless from what I understand is the same transmitter, but out of the case and mounted directly inside the Zendrum.  You would still have the same receiver and hook it up the same way, the only difference is once you turn on the Zendrum, the wireless inside will turn on as well because it is powered off of the same power source.  As for the distance, the specs say up to 300 feet, I have not gone more than 50 feet because of a delay from the mains sound system.  It isn't a delay from the wireless, just the fact that the further away you are from the sound source, the more delay there is from what you are actually hearing.  Wireless in ear monitors can eliminate this problem, but a good one can cost up to $1000.

Hope this clears up your questions.

Rob

STRUT:
Excellent info Pocketmaster. Thank you!

--- Quote ---the only difference is once you turn on the Zendrum, the wireless inside will turn on as well because it is powered off of the same power source
--- End quote ---
So does this mean that it automatically bypasses the MIDI port or if i choose to, can I still go non wireless with the wireless powered on? I believe this is answered in the other thread but I want to double check it by asking  here.

--- Quote ---I am using the external MIDI Jet Pro wireless system.  You have a transmitter and a receiver.
--- End quote ---

One main priority is portability. What I am thinking of doing is getting the ZX w/o wireless and get the external wireless later. How big/bulky is the external transmitter and receiver? Can they fit in a backpack? Approximately how much do they weigh?

Lastly, is the external battery box mandatory for the MIDI jet pro or is it optional? If it *is* mandatory, what are the dimensions of the unit?

Thanks again for the help!

DrumWagon:
Not sure portability enters the equation here.  If you *don't* use the wireless receiver, you'll then need to use a merge brick to power the Zendrum.  The receiver and the merge brick are essentially the same size, so there is no gain in portability there.

Of course if you do go wireless, it's wise to carry a merge brick and cable as a backup should something go wrong, so I suppose it could be argued that a wired setup is more portable, if one doesn't care about having backups.

My advice is to get the internal wireless option - you won't regret it.  It's far less clumsy than an external wireless and battery setup, and you can still use a wired connection if you need to.

STRUT:

--- Quote ---If you *don't* use the wireless receiver, you'll then need to use a merge brick to power the Zendrum.  The receiver and the merge brick are essentially the same size, so there is no gain in portability there.
--- End quote ---
Ok so either way, I'll have to carry an external component regardless. But exactly how big are the wireless receiver and merge brick? Can they fit in a backpack or?

Let me see if I understand this correctly:
1. If I go with the internal wireless w/ shared 9V battery, it'll cost $399.

2. To play it safe and/or to utilize the zendrum without the wireless receiver, I need to get the "Merge Brick
(remote 12vdc power supply/heavy duty MIDI merge box)" for $70. I assume this merge brick comes with the zendrum if i *don't* get the wireless option? Otherwise I have to buy it separately?

3. What exactly is the difference between (a) Battery Mergebox For Wireless Operation for $75 and (b) External Battery Box for the same price? Or are these the same thing? If I have internal wireless for my Zendrum, do I need to concern myself with either of these?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version