Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New gig  (Read 3175 times)

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
New gig
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »

I have a great new gig with my Zendrum that I'm very excited about. Originally I wasn't sure how it was going to be but I thought I would give it a try. it's turned out to be one of the best things I have done.
I was approached by a friend of mine to join me in playing for a kids club at our church. I was a little aprehensive at first but then I heard the music he wanted to do. It was rockin and a perfect match with my Zendrum. The stage is fairly small and they also have drama, a robot, lights, video and other stuff going on. I need to be able to set up and tear down quickly (Thank you Zendrum). This has been so much fun and the kids really love it. Anywhere from 100 to 200 kids show up every week. Maybe I can get some pictures to post.
It's actually pretty good to play for kids.
Thought I would share a different instrument for a different audience.
Cheers,
Steve

davidm

Re: New gig
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:29:11 PM »

Robots for jesus, man.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for trying to do some real GOOD in the world and for using the Zendrum to do it.

David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 09:52:26 PM »

Thank you all very much.
I'm honored and extremely greatful for the kind words.

This truly is the best forum of people.  8)  8)  8)
Cheers,
Steve

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 09:20:02 PM »

Hello everyone, I to play my Zendrum in church. The only down side is  my pastor prefers "real drums" to the Zen. so I only get to play it when he thinks it will "fit in". I have played it at other churches though with very welcome words.
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:58 PM »

I've had that happen to me before with people who are a little close minded or maybe don't get it. You just have to smile and not let it get to you. The opprotunities will come.
Cheers,
Steve

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »

I've had that happen to me before with people who are a little close minded or maybe don't get it.

I tend to call these people freakin' morons, idiots and ingrates.

But maybe that's just me.
Play nice.

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 01:48:58 PM »

Congratulations,
I'm finding the Zendrum is leading me into all sorts of new gigs I wouldnt otherwise be doing. ie. Irish Trad/Covers gigs, Singer/Songwriter open nights, band practice in people's living rooms and even with a Junior String Orchestra.

I have a couple of gigsin Feb  with a guy singing John Prine and other Country covers .He "specifically asked" for the Zendrum. I can also work on singing backing vocals for this gig too.

All new challenges for 2007 that wouldn't have been possible with Acoustic drums. I also have to work on some ideas I got from my visit with Tom Roady and get started into Garageband and more melodic stuff. 

Cheers
Mick

bjames

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 02:09:19 PM »

I too play my Zendrum at church.  Right now I just play the Zen for any of the week night worship services.  I'm still using an acoustic or a V-drum kit (depending on which building I'm playing in) for the Sunday services as I'm still working at becoming proficient at playing the Zendrum. 

However, kind of an embarrassing story...I was asked by a bass player friend of mine to bring the Zendrum in for 'career day' at a MOPS (mother's of preschoolers) class full of...you guessed it...pre-schoolers.  I got there late.... set up in no time flat...but ended up dropping the Zendrum when taking it out of the bag.  I hooked it up and...no sound!  Argh!  Since I got there late I quick got a snare drum (my backup plan) and proceeded to play a little brushes on the snare drum.  I thought I may have bounced something loose inside the Zendrum.  But when I got home, I hooked it up again only to realize I had connected my MIDI cords incorrectly when at the MOPs class.  Doh!....Oh well. 

My band director at church is actually really excited about me playing the Zendrum at church.  The main church I play at has terrible acoustics and live acoustic drums just add to the problem.  He's already asked me to plan on playing the Zendrum more!  ....back to the woodshed!

Later,

Brian

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 09:58:51 AM »

Funny story Brian. I think we have all done similar things like that. I try to keep all my stuff together and I will still forget something.
It's really good to see some churches coming around. It provides some good opprotunities.
Cheers,
Steve

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:20:47 AM »

Avast there mateys!

I would forget me haid sometimes if it were not attached by really strong marine grade adhesive to me neck!

Fair winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:19:45 AM »

Avast there mateys!

I would forget me haid sometimes if it were not attached by really strong marine grade adhesive to me neck!

Fair winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate

TRUTH !  :D
Steve

dennis_coleman

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »

I find the comments about "real drums," interesting also, and sometimes irritating. A Zendrum is a real drum, I say, with none of the disadvantages of organic drums.
However, I can understand the point that they make, when so many zendrummers are hooking up to computers, and using samples.

I wonder if there was once a time when people said, "That ain't a real guitar son, real guitars ain't electrical..."

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »

I find the comments about "real drums," interesting also, and sometimes irritating. A Zendrum is a real drum, I say, with none of the disadvantages of organic drums.
However, I can understand the point that they make, when so many zendrummers are hooking up to computers, and using samples.

I wonder if there was once a time when people said, "That ain't a real guitar son, real guitars ain't electrical..."

I'm quite sure that was said. Probably true when the synth came out too. "Hey, that's not a real piano".

I feel the Zendrum is paving the way of the future. The ones who can grasp new things will be that much farther ahead. There are a lot of musical "tools" out there. Why not use them all?

Cheers,
Steve

davidm

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 11:19:33 AM »

Yeah, I hate organic drums: feedin' 'em, cleanin' their cages...

But I agree with you. The comment I've gotten most yet is, "You payed how much for that toy?!"  The reply "It's not a toy, it's a musical instrument" doesn't seem to convince anybody. How irritating. Although musicians understand without exception so far.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up