Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Had a session yesterday. go me. ::grins::  (Read 2421 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Had a session yesterday. go me. ::grins::
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:57:11 AM »

So, I had a recording session yesterday with someone I used to work with a few years back.  Congas, shakers, that kinda stuff.  The only place I had all of the sounds I needed?  The Zendrum. 

So I show up to the studio, board and bag in hand.  I unzipped the case to my pedalboad, the engineer ran my 1/4" output into a DI box, and that was it.  Seriously, that was all the setup I had to do.  I didn't even have to edit pitches, reverb, nothing!  It was great.

Everyone at the session was amused and bemused at my instrument, but they loved what I was putting out on it.  the engineer said it was great having a setup that was that easy; didn't have to deal with mics or anything.

I've said it time and again, I love my Zendrum. 

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

timecutter

Re: Had a session yesterday. go me. ::grins::
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:07:04 AM »

congrats - great story to hear.  May your cuts go platinum on iTunes!   Curious - what are you using for module or software? 

peace

Mark

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:07:52 AM »

Attaboy JAAY!

I keep preaching about the practical aspects-
Folks like you keep proving me right!

Best,
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:14:17 AM »

the engineer ran my 1/4" output into a DI box, and that was it. 

Tell me that was a stereo 1/4", right?
Play nice.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:58:04 AM »

Congratulations.  I'd be interested in hearing more about this pedal board thing and what you do with it.

Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »

Tell me that was a stereo 1/4", right?

Nope, mono.

Mark, Pyrate; my board revolves around a Yammie DTX 2.0 module. I've got drums, percussion, synth, all that good stuff.  I've got some other things on my board as well, but for that session, I didn't use any of them.  I attached a pic of the board in question; I can't go into too much detail about it at the moment due to time constraints, but feel free to ask questions and I'll expound more on it later.

David: Thanks!!  I've become a big advocate of the Zendrum as the saving grace for the working drummer; I'm always looking for more places I can use it. 

-Jaay

"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »

Play nice.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »

...what's wrong with mono?

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »

You have a great tool for creating a huge depth of sound an bredth of instrumentation at your fingertips.  Seperating instruments to various locations gives a phenominally rich feel compared to single location.  Heck, when I do an up/down shaker stroke, I even move them slightly.  It induces a sway in the listener.
Play nice.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »

Hm!  You make a very good point. I never thought about it... live I tend to go through one amp so going stereo seemed like a moot point.  If I get to the point where I'm playing through bigger systems though, I'll definitely start checking that out.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 06:44:42 AM »

Shiver me timbers, What a Pedal Board!!!!

I don't understand pedal boards and how they are uised yet, but I have seen some amazing things done with them.  I need a tutorial on those things.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »

Pyrate: Batten down the hatches and hard to port; there's an informational storm a-brewin'!

Keeping in mind that this comes from the lens of a drummer and not a guitarist, everything I'm saying here is subject to review.  That being said:

My pedalboard serves several purposes: 1) it keeps everything organized and stable.  2) It keeps everything powered.  3) It patches my audio so I don't have to deal with extraneous cables.

Almost all boards do the first; some do the 2nd, some do the 3rd.  It depends on the make and model of your board.  In the band that I use my Zendrum with, we have an electric guitarist whose board *I* made myself with some hand-cut lumber and a few velcro strips. 

There are some products out there that are floor-based guitar processors that can indeed do some amazing things... these aren't quite the same things as pedalboards.  Same philosophy, but a "board" as I understand it is simply a medium to house, possibly power, possibly patch your pedals. 

My board was based around the idea that I did not want to have to constantly be wiring and unwiring and re-patching and all that mess.  I velcroed everything down that I need in a rig.  My Merge Box?  There.  My module?  Same thing.  It's kind of hard to see in the photo, but on the bottom "row" there's two footswitches.  I mainly use those for Patch changes, but they're still fastened to the board because I didn't want to have to constantly plug and unplug them.  Most folks I've seen don't tend to use as many switches and stomp boxes and such, so that makes sense for them.  But for me; it leaves me free to adjust a lot of things while leaving the hands free to play the Zendrum.

Hope this was in some way informative. Take care!

-Jaay

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 01:03:52 PM »

Shiver me timbers, there still be alot to learn, but your info was quite informative.  Thanks.  I will have to look at this more.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate.

timecutter

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »

Thanks for posting about your rig.  Informative.  Made my gear lust worse, but that's not your fault.

peace & harmony

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up