Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential way to trick out a Zendrum  (Read 1381 times)

davidm

Potential way to trick out a Zendrum
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:23:50 AM »

Hello everyone. I am probably going to order my first Zendrum this week. Wish me luck!

Anyways, I saw this a while back and thought some of you might be interested. It's a keyboard in which each key is a tiny color screen, so you can put any pictures or patterns you want on the keyboard, even with animation. I don't know if you can get OLED screens in hobbiest quantities, but it might make an awesome ZD hack.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Best of wishes.
--
Dave.

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Potential way to trick out a Zendrum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:07:04 AM »

Best wishes on your upcoming purchase!  As you can tell from this forum, those of us who have taken the plunge are extremely happy we did.  The Zendrum is a phenomenal instrument and working with David and Gina is a treat.  You won't be disappointed. 

BTW, how would this keyboard be applied to the ZD?  I checked out the site, but I'm not following the idea.  It looks to be an independent computer keyboard which allows each key to accept an image.  The ZD doesn't accept a keyboard input AFAIK and I'm not sure how I would use it even if it did. 

Ken

davidm

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »

The idea would be to embed the tiny OLED screens into the Zendrum's plastic buttons (pads? caps? what do we call them?). Then, the screens could be animated in different patterns, in sync with what the player is playing, for extreme flashiness. I'm thinking that whoever ordered this one would be interested:

http://zendrum.com/images/fullCustomColorZXFlashback1.jpg
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 12:39:25 PM by davidm »

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »

Thanks for the explanation.  I get it now...   :o

Ken

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 03:54:17 PM »

this is current technology the keyboard does not exsist yet but the company makes a little usb device with three keys that is available now I have 2 that I use to control functions on servers one shows the server status and cpu usage and disk space the other actually shows video that is editing and a soundlevel as well as a freeze track shot very handy devices can't wait till they get larger array of this technology in the future but a whole keyboard while cool would be very $$$ currently OLED technology is about 50 bucks per key so a keboard would cost almost 4k and take all your memory but it'll be here soon
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

davidm

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »

Not saying it'd be cheap :) A friend of mine just bought one of the three-key widgets. Not sure what he's using it for. Besides the OLEDs, you'd need some non-trivial computing power to control them. Also, last I heard, OLEDs had a fairly short lifespan. Still, it'd be a cool project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up