Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZenEdit: The Z4 Computer Interface  (Read 4537 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
ZenEdit: The Z4 Computer Interface
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »

Now available at:
http://www.nebiru.com/zenedit/

Please post all comments and questions in this forum group!
Play nice.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: ZenEdit: The Z4 Computer Interface
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »

Geo,

Great minds think alike.  I was getting on the forum to ask if you'll be making a forum page for ZE, and... you beat me to it.  You rock dude.   ;)

ZenEdit is awesome!  I have been playing around with it all day, and I look forward to uploading some new settings to my Zendrums in the next day or so.

DrumWagon is da bomb.  (That's a good thing... >-D)

Jer

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:14:13 AM »

All Zendrummers should get the Z4 and ZenEdit.
I want to welcome everyone to the new reality where the Zendrum's capabilities can be fully utilized.
All the features you've been wishing and asking for and much, much more.
We've been dreaming of the day when there would be no more limits, with all edits clearly displayed and stored.
Darin has stepped up to make it happen successfully from a Zendrummer's perspective- Logical, intuitive, practical.
Great tech support, too! I LOVE IT!

David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »

Awww shucks, you guys are gonna make me blush!

Seriously though, I really appreciate your kind words.  ZenEdit has been a real labor of love, but knowing that other zendrummers are getting real value from it makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks again! 
-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

realisticspeakers

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:05:14 PM »

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (I typed all that out and didn't cut and paste)

I was able to create my first usable Bb scheme in no time. So much easier. I could never get that Japanese thing to work properly.

I can't thank you enough.

(bought it today outside paypal)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:18 AM »

That's fantastic, glad it's working well for you!

I haven't really trumpeted the benefits of building melodic setups in ZenEdit, but hopefully you've found it to be excellent in that regard.  You no longer need to enter in numeric values for notes, or spend time rifling through lookup tables.  With ZenEdit, you simply select the note by name -- piece of cake!

Holler if there's anything you need that can make it even better.  One idea, maybe being able to select a range of triggers and then transpose them up or down?

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »

One idea, maybe being able to select a range of triggers and then transpose them up or down?

-darin

THAT would be AWESOME!!!  Please add, when you're ready to put up a new update.  This way, we melodic players could build a scale how we want, and then easily make the same scale/mode in different keys.

Thanks!

Jer

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »

Sounds like a plan, I've penciled it into the schedule.  Thanks.

Ask me about:

kungfudrummer

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • Matthew Antolick's Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »

I purchased my ZenEdit license this morning.  Looking forward to diving in, which I'm about to do as soon as I finish this post.

You may have already addressed these issues, but a few questions/suggestions come to mind based on initial exploration:

1) Is it possible, or are you planning in a future update, to allow mutlitiple windows for copying from one setup to another setup?  It would really ease the process if I could view a saved setup at the same time I'm viewing the current one.  This may already be a feature.  If it is, how can I get to it?

2)  Any plans for a pdf manual that I can download to my computer/Nook/Kindle/etc?  Also, how about registered users being able to download the tutorial video?

3) I also noticed that someone suggested a transpose-function.  Is that still on the books?

Thanks again for a great program!

Matthew
--
Matthew Antolick
--
MoRockin, Disney's EPCOT, Orlando, FL

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »

1) Is it possible, or are you planning in a future update, to allow mutlitiple windows for copying from one setup to another setup?  It would really ease the process if I could view a saved setup at the same time I'm viewing the current one.  This may already be a feature.  If it is, how can I get to it?
There are no plans to support opening multiple setups at once, however ZenEdit does include an extensive Copy feature.  This powerful feature allows you to copy setups whole-cloth, or just selected triggers, or just certain properties of triggers -- within the same file or across files.  You can access the copy feature by selecting [User Setup -> Copy From] from the main menu.  This is also covered a bit in the video tutorial.

2)  Any plans for a pdf manual that I can download to my computer/Nook/Kindle/etc?  Also, how about registered users being able to download the tutorial video?
Work on static documentation has stalled as it was holding up the release.  For the time being only the video tutorials are available, though they do cover most every aspect of the app.  And of course I'm available here to answer support questions.  There is also a forum on the ZenEdit site.

The direct links to the tutorials for downloading are:
http://nebiru.com/zenedit/tutorials/rendered/intro.swf
http://nebiru.com/zenedit/tutorials/rendered/midi_setup.swf

3) I also noticed that someone suggested a transpose-function.  Is that still on the books?
Yes!
The build I'm working on right now in concentrating on improving the "note pickers", both for "module" and melodic users.  New features are sorting and filtering capabilities, a piano roll for note selection and also the transposition feature.
There is no firm date on when this will be finished, but it will go out as an automatic update -- more then likely sometime in September.

I hope this answers your questions, but fire away if you have any more.

cheers
-darin

Ask me about:

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »

One idea, maybe being able to select a range of triggers and then transpose them up or down?

THAT would be AWESOME!!!  Please add, when you're ready to put up a new update.  This way, we melodic players could build a scale how we want, and then easily make the same scale/mode in different keys.

Just following up on this thread.. version 1.2.1 just hit the servers.  This update adds the ability to transpose up or down a given number of octaves or semi-tones.

HTH!
-darin

Ask me about:

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »

Hey Darin,

Can you explain what the last update does for us?

Thanks, Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:40 AM »

The last update allows you to transpose selected triggers -- either by octave or semitone.

This new transpose feature is aimed squarely at melodic players.  If you only use your Zendrum to play atonal percussion then you likely have no need for this feature.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:34:13 AM by DrumWagon »

Ask me about:

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

I know its more of a problem with the module but does ZenEdit work ok with the 2box module  for Zendrum?

Biggest issue with that particular module is their implementation of the hihat (for a standing ZX player), I'm sure it'll be better for Zendrum LT and ZAP players with a Hihat pedal (CC input controller?). Just wondering if anyone has experience on this module

Mick

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

ZenEdit does include a mapping for the 2box for what it's worth, however as you've seen there are not separate MIDI notes available for open or closed HH sounds, just one set for bow, edge and splash.  You need a CC control to control whether the hat itself is open or closed and by how much.

I think a long-standing entry on the Z5 wishlist has been the ability to layer notes on one trigger.   If we had the ability to layer MIDI messages in general then that would make the 2box a more attractive module.  Then you could have the NOTE ON message for HH sent along with the CC for closed/open, etc.

You best bet right now is probably to use an external pedal.  If you have a knob on your Zendrum and are quick with your hands you might be able to get by with that too.

I don't have a 2box to test it out on but you could conceivably use your momentary switch too.  By adjusting the polarity, you may be able to get things set up to where your HH is always closed unless the switch is pushed.

I know Alan from digitalDrummer was playing around with getting the 2box to work with a Zendrum.  He might have more ideas or a working solution.

-dk

Ask me about:
Pages: [1]   Go Up