Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modules - sounds for world/ethnic/ambient percussion  (Read 3240 times)

timecutter

Re: Modules - sounds for world/ethnic/ambient percussion
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 11:27:02 pm »

Some great tips here, thanks everybody.  Yellow Tools Culture and Flying Hand Percussion look very intriguing. FHP has built in custom keymappings for working with the zendrum.  My zendrum is getting shipped out later this week (I'm excited), and I'm thinking I'll work out on the Planet Earth Module and figure out some reasonably robust & convenient way to do samples on my mac powerbook. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.   My powerbook is a few years old (1.25 GHz G4) and is not up to running BFD.  I'm thinking about using a relatively low-overhead AU host program (RAX) and the MOTU Mach Five sampler for starters.    But that's another thread topic...

thanks again - peace

Mark

Tom Roady

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 10:50:40 am »

I've been using EMU modules for years.....I will never get rid of them...but they are in my studio rack now...I use them a lot every week,,,,, stacking sounds with the Planet Earth, World, and Carnaval....you can really get some great unusual sound designed kind of patches doing this...I use the Protean Drum Rom also with the Planet Earth...it really has been a wonderful "box" for me....but....it's all about software these days....I am a big fan of Garageband for Macs...and I can highly recommend a company from Europe Zero G....they have a great world library for Garageband that has tons of stuff...from African and Middle Eastern vocal and percussion samples to Eastern European instruments....also it has lots of loops that are quite useful....I do love John Emerich's BFD Jazz and Funk library....my only problem has been a Seagate hard drive that I put it on that is unbelievably noisy..Every time I've started BFD I hear the hard drive starting up...I've just bought a Lacie 250 gig firewire that I hope will eliminate this problem...I just haven't had the time to transfer BFD to it yet...I know that John does have his new Percussion library now and look forward to getting it once I'm rockin' with the BFD...I use a Mac 12" Powerbook G4 133ghz for my portable Zendrum these days...played through a Roland KC 500 keyboard amp...I'm going to get  another one for stereo...I've tried it with an identical amp that I borrowed from my church and it really rocks.....Garageband is cool in that if you hold your Zendrum sustain pedal down while playing a vocal or sustainable patch....cursor to another Garageband patch...say a African Drumkit....the vocal  patch continues and lets you play over it without having to use an external looping device..,.it remains there until you highlight the vocal patch again and let up on the sustain pedal...I find that the ability to keep the rig small is even cooler than the HUGE racks we used to take to the NAMM shows...bigger is not always better...at least with Zendrum sound sources.....
                              "the mayor"

timecutter

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 01:03:04 am »

Thank you Tom, Mr. Mayor - appreciate your informative posts.  I'm sure gonna hold onto my handsonic and my planet earth module, but I think you are right, that now is all about software.  I will definitely check out the Zero-G World pack - Garageband (which I have totally ignored for several years!) is now getting my attention.  I have been reluctant to use my powerbook (similar vintage to yours) for performing outside the home studio.  I wanted my performing set-up to not rely on a computer - I'm re-thinking that now.  Is BFD running well on your Mac?  I've been worried I'd need a beefier Mac to run BFD adequately.   

I use the Roland KC 350 - and have been thinking about getting another one to do the stereo thing, so very intrigued to hear you're doing that.  Have you used the Roland subwoofer (the KCW-1)?  I've been thinking about one of those puppies.  And funny you should mention playing the handsonic with Aretha Franklin - I frequently use her old tunes to warm up to. 

peace & harmony!

Mark

bluesapostle2

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 08:57:56 pm »

I use NI Battery on my mac G4 with 1.25GB of ram without problem. I keep the mac relatively "clean" and use it mostly for my Zendrum. Where can I find tutorials on Garageband? I haven't even explored this yet, has anybody used Battery with it?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up