Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Disable the Sustain Switch  (Read 2131 times)

apurnicus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
How to Disable the Sustain Switch
« on: December 19, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »

Hello!

I just got Swar Plug which is a library of Indian instruments.  I am using this Plug-in through Garage Band.

I've noticed that I have to hold down the sustain switch to trigger sounds, unlike the standard drum sounds.  As you can imagine, this hinders playing.  How can I overcome this problem?

-apurnicus

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: How to Disable the Sustain Switch
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:01:23 PM »

Simple-
Toggle right to PL,
toggle 0 to 1.
Polarity is now reversed.
Switch is now a "kill" instead of sustain.
Hope this helps,
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

apurnicus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »

David,

Thank you for your response.  Everything works as you said it would!

I'm glad that at the end of a long day in the lab (I'm a PhD student in Chemistry) that my tired mind can rely on the good people in the Zendrum forum to answer questions so I can play music and relax.

Thank you,
apurnicus

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:07:10 PM »

In this day and age, I believe the sustain switch is "Differently Abled".
Play nice.

timecutter

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »

Apurnicus - how is the swar plug-in working out for you?   It has a lot of patches that interest me....how's the overall quality of the sounds?  Are the instruments pretty detailed?  How's it working out with the zendrum?   I'd love to hear how its working...thanks for any comments you've got time to post.

peace & harmony

Mark

duojet

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 11:23:51 AM »

Apurnicus - how is the swar plug-in working out for you?   It has a lot of patches that interest me....how's the overall quality of the sounds?  Are the instruments pretty detailed?  How's it working out with the zendrum?   I'd love to hear how its working...thanks for any comments you've got time to post.

peace & harmony

Mark

i have swarplug and the instruments are good, and you'll have a tough time finding this selection of indian instruments in any library. However, there are a few flaws:

1. No velocity switching whatsoever. One single velocity layer. It's still workable but by today's standards this is sub par.

2. I have noticed on some samples, during the decay, perhaps due to compression, there is a significant amount of noise at the end of the decay.  This can be compensated for by using the decay control and shortening it.

3. Other random anomalies.

4. Samples are 16 bit

all in all the samples DO sound decent. I think considering that there is no velocity switching it IS a tad overpriced at $239. I will say on the positive side, there are a good number of articulations for each instrument (so it is multisampled, just not multi velocity layered).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:25:28 AM by duojet »

timecutter

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »

extemely helpful - thank you duojet - just the sort of info I was hoping for

The swar plug has a lot of south asian percussion sounds that I want to use, and I may just spring for it.  Additional questions:  are you using the AU or the VST version?  And which host are you using it with?  Performing ok in that regard?

thanks again - om shanti

Mark

duojet

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 05:20:15 PM »

hi mark

i use the vst with sonar6 producer editiion. it works fine and is low on resources. they have sound examples on their website. i have recently converted the library to kontakt from the DLS files. i now only use it in kontakt. much more convenient.

despite some of the negatives i mentioned, it is fun to play these instruments on the zendrum. there are 49, many of which are percussion. i bought this because i simply couldnt find many of these instruments in other libraries (dhol, tabla, kanjira)

timecutter

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »

cool, thanks for the info - I've been trying out kontakt2 - my software shopping list is getting longer & longer.  The percussion instruments in the swarplug are some of what I'm looking for, for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up