Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability of Wireless Midi  (Read 1325 times)

rimshot

Reliability of Wireless Midi
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:21:56 PM »

Hi Guys,

i'm wondering about the reliability of the wireless midi systems available, and how would they perform at longer ranges and travelling at fast speeds.

I am considering doing a thing where i will be playing percussion on the zendrum with a DJ, but will be suspended from an aerial "trapeze" rail and thus "flying" across the room. I wondering if that would be a feasible idea at all.. haha

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability of Wireless Midi
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »

feasible probably

but lets think about this flying through the air with a large sharpened wood object?  sounds questionable at best and kinda like the epitaph in a old b vampire movie  ???
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:36:46 AM »

The gear works fin.  But once you get more than 50' or so from your sound source, the speed of sound becomes your enemy and you will feel a noticable lag to your playing.  Moving quickly will screw up your timing further.
Play nice.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »

Greetings one and all it has been a long time!!  Anyway, I use the MIDI-JET PRO which is rated at a distance of 500'.  Granted that is probably based on having a perfect "line of sight" between the reciever and transmitter.  The KENTON system is rated at 50'.  I "field tested" that concept with the MIDI-JET PRO at an outdoor show and was able to work roughly 150' feet away. As I got farther away, there was a delay in the info getting out the reciever. And that included putting the reciever on a cable in front of the area/stage where we were playing.  One thing that does help with this... If your using in-ear monitors you won't have the delay both systems usually do a good job tracking the RF signals.

Another thing to remember with wireless MIDI. It operates (like wire-less internet) in the 2GHz frequency range.  Wireless in ear systems and microphones operate in the UHF ferequency range (600 - 700 MHz).  For those who don't know, the lower the frequency the farther the signal will travel, the flip side to a higher ferequency it penetrates walls better but gives you a shorter distance.  There are even some wireless systems that are in VHF (170 MHz). Most "pro" systems are in UHF though.  VHF systems are prtty much a thing of the past. I am not sure how long it took before the first high end gig head cab comany radio traffic.  It's all fun and games until you hear..... "and the winnder is.......<lots of static> "CAB 225 to  DISPATCH, where's my pick up at!!"

Anyway, that is my $ .02  As always if I have missed something, some else please chime up!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR, Mark!

Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

bluesapostle2

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:40:20 AM »

Has anybody tried the new M-Audio MidAir? Only $119 at Guitar Center online. The range is shallow but it beats cord confusion at a pretty decent price. I will have my friend bring me one on his way here(its all battery, no 220V to worry about!). Will give a report in about a month...
Pages: [1]   Go Up